General Chat

AVFCLaura

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've been looking for a while too, I can understand and admire the craftsmanship and quality that goes into a really nice table and wouldn't mind paying more not to have to put it together myself but in the end I just thought **** it and got one for £169 on Amazon in the sale.  

We ended up spending about £900 for one in Next.

That's not a brag. I'm basically devastated :D 

But having gone to several other furniture shops that seems like a **** bargain. Went to "Furniture Village" first. The going rate for anything that looked half decent was about 3 grand. Cheapest one they had was about £1,400 and it was a complete piece of shit. Tried Oak Furniture Land next, again all started at around a grand. Few things cheaper than that but they looked like old people's home furniture.

I went out expecting to spend about £200-300 at most

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47i1itf4r6hs3dbmo5yf

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It's a decent wedge for a table, but if you've gone for a fairly simple design in solid wood and look after it, it's basically something you only ever buy once

Well my £85 Ikea one has lasted me 13 years, so I expect to be passing this new one onto my great grandchildren on my death bed

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 1

We have one, a dining room table and it used primarily for art, my grandson does his painting on it and sometimes he even makes sure there is something covering it. It cost 150 of ebay. I dont really see the need for it. Beats the retro thing my wife wanted to buy off ebay for 600, Chris Farlowe used to own it according to the seller. I said if you expect me to pay that then you are out of touch.

I’m going to be in the market for a large kitchen table (sits 8, option to extend sort of size) soon so this doesn’t fill me with confidence. Ideally I’d get one of those old, solid oak tables that don’t extend and just take up a ton of space… but they’re extortionate new. As someone said earlier, may well be looking at second hand stuff then sanding/re-coating etc.

Also needed a new hoover (sorted) and need a new telly. Weighing up whether or not the kids actually need Christmas presents :D 

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’m going to be in the market for a large kitchen table (sits 8, option to extend sort of size) soon so this doesn’t fill me with confidence. Ideally I’d get one of those old, solid oak tables that don’t extend and just take up a ton of space… but they’re extortionate new. As someone said earlier, may well be looking at second hand stuff then sanding/re-coating etc.

That's kind of what we got in the end. Reclaimed oak so it's rustic looking (translation: won't show up the inevitable gouges my son puts into it). Ours does extend though.

But yeah from what i saw yesterday you're going to be dropping a grand at a minimum on something like that

Edited by Stevo985

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We ended up spending about £900 for one in Next.

That's not a brag. I'm basically devastated :D 

But having gone to several other furniture shops that seems like a **** bargain. Went to "Furniture Village" first. The going rate for anything that looked half decent was about 3 grand. Cheapest one they had was about £1,400 and it was a complete piece of shit. Tried Oak Furniture Land next, again all started at around a grand. Few things cheaper than that but they looked like old people's home furniture.

I went out expecting to spend about £200-300 at most

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47i1itf4r6hs3dbmo5yf

Yeah it's nuts, I tried looking at all those places, I've ended up with carpet and a table for that price.  My last one had a pool table in it and cost £400 but was just a bit too big for my flat, I was gutted getting rid of it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's a decent wedge for a table, but if you've gone for a fairly simple design in solid wood and look after it, it's basically something you only ever buy once

Tell my Mrs that 

11 hours ago, LondonLax said:

and not only are you getting something much better than a disposable IKEA thing for less money

Our dining table was bought from Swedish Hell, for what it is it really wasn't expensive. Far cheaper than any comparable product in other shops. Solid Wood. It's been through two house moves unscathed. I doubt you'll find a new product cheaper. IKEA gets a lot of stick (rightfully in a lot of instances) but once you move above the basic level stuff the quality isn't as bad as people make out and the prices are rarely beaten for comparable products

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Our dining table was bought from Swedish Hell, for what it is it really wasn't expensive. Far cheaper than any comparable product in other shops. Solid Wood. It's been through two house moves unscathed. I doubt you'll find a new product cheaper. IKEA gets a lot of stick (rightfully in a lot of instances) but once you move above the basic level stuff the quality isn't as bad as people make out and the prices are rarely beaten for comparable products

Everyone should own a Kallax. Multiple Kallax.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LondonLax said:

You’re better off buying second hand. Buy a good piece of well made furniture second hand and not only are you getting something much better than a disposable IKEA thing for less money, you’re not using any resources at all. 

This. A few years ago, my missus bought a massive, solid wood, extendable dining table, with six chairs, off eBay - fifty quid, delivered.

In the end we got rid of it because it was actually too big, and replaced it with an IKEA one, but there are certainly bargains to be had out there. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â