General Chat

AVFCLaura

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Also, re: 'acky one two three'. ISTR that was a phrase you could shout out in some games, to confirm you had reached 'den', and were thus invunerable. Possibly also related to 'having barley' (or 'arley'), signifying a temporary truce/timeout. 

Yep. Arley Barley. Untouchable, immune. 

4 hours ago, trekka said:

Tracker was another one I remember.  About 8 of us, split into 2 teams - one team the trackers, the other doing the running and hiding.  

We called that ‘tracking’

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Speaking about, what about Stuck in The Mud? Played in the circles of the school playground. Can't remember exactly but something to do with trying do dodge in and out of the circle and then someone would try to pull you in if they caught your arm or something. 

So for us if you got caught by someone that was ‘on’ you had to stand there with your legs and arms spread.  Someone who wasn’t on could then crawl under your legs to free you and then you were no longer stuck in the mud and could run around again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Not one, but two people I know on the local TV news tonight. 

If they were on it because they're both missing then I have questions

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If they were on it because they're both missing then I have questions

Nope. One was an 81 year old lady who had done the Leeds (Rob Burrow) Marathon - her 175th. The other was a bloke who'd written a successful children's book. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Nope. One was an 81 year old lady who had done the Leeds (Rob Burrow) Marathon - her 175th. The other was a bloke who'd written a successful children's book. 

"was". Past tense

If anything I'm now more suspicious

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We played that footy game with one goalie and everybody else playing as individuals, trying to score, but also preventing the others from scoring. Pretty sure it was called 'three and in', because you went in goal once you got your hattrick.

Roughly half of my childhood right there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm joking Mike. I don't actually think you murdered your friends :thumb: 

It was an outrageous accusation....

...they're not his friends - just people he knew

1 hour ago, blandy said:

It was an outrageous accusation....

...they're not his friends - just people he knew

Ah feck, here’s that wandering minstrel bloke, your turn to humour him ;) 

• Haha 2

For the past month or so, I’ve spent my lunchtimes sat by the canal outside the NIA, watching a goose attack anybody that dare walk on the towpath. It’s been quite fun watching how different people react to getting a bite on the arse.

It took me a while to notice the mother goose curled up on a plant pot nearby, obviously protecting her nest.

Today, whilst trying to eat my cheese and onion sandwich, I watched a seagull, a crow and a magpie tear apart one of the goslings.

The bum nipping daddy goose was nowhere to be seen.

• Sad 4

On 15/05/2023 at 13:51, Wainy316 said:

So for us if you got caught by someone that was ‘on’ you had to stand there with your legs and arms spread.  Someone who wasn’t on could then crawl under your legs to free you and then you were no longer stuck in the mud and could run around again.

Freeze tag, except an unfrozen player only had to touch you to un-freeze you.

12 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Today, whilst trying to eat my cheese and onion sandwich, I watched a seagull, a crow and a magpie tear apart one of the goslings.

The bum nipping daddy goose was nowhere to be seen.

I hope it wasn't a case that some precious little dickhead didn't like being nipped on the arse, and retaliated to the extent Daddy goose had to flee and was afraid to come back.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â