General Chat

AVFCLaura

On 11/03/2023 at 12:48, Rds1983 said:

I know people who work at Revolut and I chose to walk away from a risk governance role their at the final interview stage (stage 5 I think it was).

They do not yet have a UK Banking Licence (they applied relatively recently but are still waiting approval). As such they are still developing some of their wider controls and governance structures and are a lot less sophisticated than other more established FS firms.

I have an account and use it for basic things but most definitely wouldn't use them as my principle account. 

They have an EU banking licence, protecting up to 100k EUR… but the issue is it’s with the Bank of Lithuania.

The UK banking licence is probably going through this year, but yes for the time being no FSCS protection.

I invested in Revolut a few years back so have been following closely. Personally I never use it for more than a few hundred quid, and I do have my doubts about it. Seems strange that they’ve struggled to convince regulators for so long, and their culture seems pretty toxic.

Having said that, a lot of the horror stories about fraud, locked accounts, etc happen with all banks. Issue with some of the neobanks is it can be much harder to speak to a human being and escalate your problem quickly.

The branch thing is not such a big deal though IMO. There’s no real difference in what you can resolve over the phone. It’s more just being able to speak to someone competent who can listen to the specifics of your situation and not give a rote answer.

On 12/03/2023 at 21:51, Genie said:

Someone I knew all through my childhood was always a bit of a wrong ‘un. Did a couple of stretches inside I think during his 20’s. He was always obsessed with money, material things, getting rich and pushed several scammy schemes hard through facebook. Also posting several times a day. Loads of Covid conspiracy and anti-vax shit. Big Brexiteer type. 

More recently though he has completely vanished and the strong rumour is that he has been picked up by the police as part of a major drug bust and is being held somewhere.

The weird thing is that there’s no records online at all of this story, but if you search his name google auto suggests this town and drugs. It looks like lots of people are googling him but nothing comes up.

Is it normal/possible that he could be detained for months by the police and keep completely quiet about it?

Maybe he's under witness protection if he has been involved in a drug bust?  I assume that's a real thing and not just invented for TV.

47 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Maybe he's under witness protection if he has been involved in a drug bust?  I assume that's a real thing and not just invented for TV.

This is what I thought, maybe he’s a grass

For all that Carragher is a maddening Liverpool apologist, the stuff I've seen of him away from Liverpool crap he always comes across as a good bloke. He appeared on Celebrity Gogglebox a couple of times last year, with Micah Richards, and you could tell that both of them were 'normal' people who got along and were having a laugh, and weren't full of themselves or the like.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chindie said:

For all that Carragher is a maddening Liverpool apologist, the stuff I've seen of him away from Liverpool crap he always comes across as a good bloke. He appeared on Celebrity Gogglebox a couple of times last year, with Micah Richards, and you could tell that both of them were 'normal' people who got along and were having a laugh, and weren't full of themselves or the like.

That's exactly what came across with him. We were introduced through a mutual friend (actually one of his old teachers who he keeps in touch with) and everyone was greeted with "Alright la". He's clearly a pillar of the community in Bootle. A genuinely good guy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That'll be the Micah Richards that spends £24,000 a year on haircuts then. Yep, totally normal. 

I don't tend to agree that just because you have money you stop being a normal person. He has money, he spends it in a way most people would think is mental, but he still appears to be a pretty average guy personality wise. Thats what I would mean by 'normal' - he might be obscenely rich but he still seems to have the attitude, approachability etc of a normal guy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm gonna pop this in here as well as Other Football because every view and subscriber makes a difference!

So proud to have got Jamie onto our fledgling YouTube channel. It was great to spend some time with him.

This isn't just one for Liverpool fans, this is for anyone who is interested in football kits...

Nice one Rob.

Only one thing, WTF is up with that coat at the beginning? :D

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

So proud to have got Jamie onto our fledgling YouTube channel. It was great to spend some time with him.

I genuinely didn't know e grew up supporting Everton

• Like 1

I thought I post about Carragher yesterday. Absolutely a nice bloke, he's been a passenger more than once for me. He's one of those ex-footballers with a foundation that isn't just a tax dodge. He genuinely does care about Bootle where he grew up. So far today I've driven up Marsh Lane in bootle, three times, every time I pass a mural paid for by the foundation.

Just beyond the mural is a local boozer called the Salisbury, the pub was due to shut down a good while back now, it's never been confirmed but there was a very strong rumour Carragher saved it as his family drank there (and so does he still occasionally)

When he was an up and coming player he bought a penthouse flat in Blundellsands, then he obviously got a bit more money and he moved into a fairly big house to raise a family. He gave the penthouse to his parents and they still live there today and his house is just round the corner. Never moved since then, it's 4 miles from where he grew up

Caragher Mural.png

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Nice one Rob.

Only one thing, WTF is up with that coat at the beginning? :D

Beat me to it, but to be clear-  My issue isn't with Rob's but his colleague's.   This guy makes a living designing clothing yet he wears that?   Does not compute.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Beat me to it, but to be clear-  My issue isn't with Rob's but his colleague's.   This guy makes a living designing clothing yet he wears that?   Does not compute.

C'mon, he's clearly Scottish, he could have been wearing a check skirt.

• Haha 1

On 14/03/2023 at 16:50, NurembergVillan said:

I'm gonna pop this in here as well as Other Football because every view and subscriber makes a difference!

This isn't just one for Liverpool fans, this is for anyone who is interested in football kits...

That was **** brilliant. 

More please - NOW

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â