General Chat

AVFCLaura

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I actually have a revolut but i only use it for when i go abroad. But that is the concern for me if you have a problem who ghe hell deal with it.

I wouldnt use it for banking not a chance

The app based banking thingies - like Starling and Chase (and revolut I guess, though I don't use it) are better than high street banks if/when there's a problem, in my experience. I had a payment for a booking I wanted to make repeatedly refused when I was abroad last year. In the chase app (in the middle of the night, UK time) I used the chat/help thingy and got an immediate reply as to why and it was fixed within a minute. No phone call, no hassle, just sorted instantly (problem was an exchange rate thing, where the rate used would have taken me a few pence overdrawn - I'd thought I had enough based on the rate the internet said applied. I just moved a tenner into the current account, via the app and it worked then).

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

What sort of problems do you worry about having? 

Revolut isn't covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Ok. Chase are covered by that. 

Yeah, Chase are a massive bank. I was just pointing out a reason why people might not want to bank with Revolut. 

I've banked with two of the main UK clearing banks and can't remember ever having a problem with them in nearly 30 years. Maybe I'm lucky!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Chase are a massive bank

Yes. I use them, and it's absolutely fine, good even, as per the above post I did. I don't actually like them though. It's just financial interest that means I use them. I got the Starling app a good few years ago, and that's also fine, good even. But they don't give interest (or only a tiny tiny bit). Chase has come along and copied the likes of Starling and are essentially offering a better deal to steal customers and kill the competition - it's that part I don't like. So I've kept Starling, use that as my main bank, but use Chase to get the cashback and interest. It means moving money back and forth every month, but it's super easy to do with the apps.

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah, Chase are a massive bank. I was just pointing out a reason why people might not want to bank with Revolut. 

I've banked with two of the main UK clearing banks and can't remember ever having a problem with them in nearly 30 years. Maybe I'm lucky!

I know people who work at Revolut and I chose to walk away from a risk governance role their at the final interview stage (stage 5 I think it was).

They do not yet have a UK Banking Licence (they applied relatively recently but are still waiting approval). As such they are still developing some of their wider controls and governance structures and are a lot less sophisticated than other more established FS firms.

I have an account and use it for basic things but most definitely wouldn't use them as my principle account. 

• Like 1

Had my first ever crap in a portaloo this morning.

There was no water in the pan. It was a big, erm…sticky one. There was a big queue waiting outside of mostly women.

Nothing like prodding a sloppy turd down a hole to start your day.

• Haha 3

On 10/03/2023 at 10:46, BOF said:

It's why I don't have Revolut and seemingly the entire rest of this country does. It's OK if you wanna give yer mate a few quid, but actually banking through it? Getting your wages put into it? No thanks.

Revolut isn't a bank but it does pay interest nd gives you cashback on certain transactions

Currently (for me at least) I get 2% cashback when I buy groceries in a supermarket through it.

I just transfer from my bank (Starling) to my revolut at the till and pay with Revolut

Would I use it as my bank? Not a chance, its not protected but it does have uses

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

There was no water in the pan. It was a big, erm…sticky one. There was a big queue waiting outside of mostly women.

grimace-clint-eastwood.gif

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Revolut isn't a bank but it does pay interest nd gives you cashback on certain transactions

Currently (for me at least) I get 2% cashback when I buy groceries in a supermarket through it.

I just transfer from my bank (Starling) to my revolut at the till and pay with Revolut

Would I use it as my bank? Not a chance, its not protected but it does have uses

They are a bank. They didn't used to be.

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

All those women after you left 

brassic-joe-gilgun.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

They are a bank. They didn't used to be.

They are a global bank but not yet one in the UK. They are still waiting on the banking licence to be granted.

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

They are a global bank but not yet one in the UK. They are still waiting on the banking licence to be granted.

I'm in Ireland. They're a bank here now and I won't go near them.

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm in Ireland. They're a bank here now and I won't go near them.

As I said earlier in the thread, I know people who work there and very nearly did myself. Whilst I have an account for transferring money overseas, I wouldn't use them for traditional banking services. 

• Like 1

Someone I knew all through my childhood was always a bit of a wrong ‘un. Did a couple of stretches inside I think during his 20’s. He was always obsessed with money, material things, getting rich and pushed several scammy schemes hard through facebook. Also posting several times a day. Loads of Covid conspiracy and anti-vax shit. Big Brexiteer type. 

More recently though he has completely vanished and the strong rumour is that he has been picked up by the police as part of a major drug bust and is being held somewhere.

The weird thing is that there’s no records online at all of this story, but if you search his name google auto suggests this town and drugs. It looks like lots of people are googling him but nothing comes up.

Is it normal/possible that he could be detained for months by the police and keep completely quiet about it?

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

As I said earlier in the thread, I know people who work there and very nearly did myself. Whilst I have an account for transferring money overseas, I wouldn't use them for traditional banking services. 

And that's as may be, but they are a bank. Whether in UK or not.

8 hours ago, BOF said:

And that's as may be, but they are a bank. Whether in UK or not.

I said I agree, they are a Bank in certain countries around the world. 

But they do not meet the legal and regulatory requirements for being one in the UK and as such do not offer all the usual services. Which I believe is where the majority of our forum are based.

22 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I said I agree, they are a Bank in certain countries around the world. 

But they do not meet the legal and regulatory requirements for being one in the UK and as such do not offer all the usual services. Which I believe is where the majority of our forum are based.

My posts were clearly referring to my situation about not going near them, so the location of the majority of the forum was irrelevant in that particular instance. They're a bank where I am and I won't go near them, because they've no branches and, from what I can gather, you've no route to take issue with them if they decide to ignore online methods.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â