General Chat

AVFCLaura

6 hours ago, Genie said:

Everything working fine here, which is a shame as there’s a couple of meetings I wish I could dodge

Same and i didnt have any issues unfortunately just zzzz.

What was funny though is we have our cameras on and i have villa park as my background but for reason they could only see the background and not me.

My boss said i can see a football pitch but no footballer he probably looking for silverware. Cheeky bitch 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Tegis said:

Nice little outage at Microsoft this morning, who needs to work anyway?

One of our work emails has had nothing but dodgy malware spam originating from outlook.com most of the day

16 hours ago, bickster said:

One of our work emails has had nothing but dodgy malware spam originating from outlook.com most of the day

They are re-branding to Office364.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This sad case of the baby who died in Nottingham due to hospital mistakes. 

Obviously, it's tragic, and actions need to be taken to prevent repetitions, but what good does an £800,000 fine do? All it does is take funding out of the service, which can only make things worse in the longer term. By all means fire someone if they are proven negligent. Improve procedures and training. But why hamstring the service by defunding it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This sad case of the baby who died in Nottingham due to hospital mistakes. 

Obviously, it's tragic, and actions need to be taken to prevent repetitions, but what good does an £800,000 fine do? All it does is take funding out of the service, which can only make things worse in the longer term. By all means fire someone if they are proven negligent. Improve procedures and training. But why hamstring the service by defunding it? 

Wouldn't the money come from some sort of negligence insurance?

I had a rant about this a couple of nights ago. There have been massive, systemic issues at NUH followed by a series of calculated cover ups from the conveyor belt of executive teams. This isn't a civil case, they've met the threshold for criminal negligence, and the "punishment" , at best, shuffling some funds around on the state's balance sheet.

I vaguely know Winter's family, we've been introduced together by tragedy, and I hope this case brings them some comfort. But it doesn't feel like justice to me. Far from it. But this is far from over.

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don't have much experience of med mal cover but it's very rare for civil fines and penalties to be covered under an insurance policy (though not impossible, and it's a selling point of a policy if it does usually), and it's illegal to cover criminal fines or penalties.

Edited by Chindie
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

If that's true, then the fine is pretty meaningless. Although their premiums would probably go up, so we're back to square one. 

Financially hammering some capitalist multinational is one thing, doing it to a struggling NHS seems just mad, and counterproductive. 

20 hours ago, bickster said:

I'm pretty sure The NHS self insure. 

When you get to these massive eye-watering premiums it just becomes poundswapping + expenses + profits for a commercial organisation. If the premiums are big enough you can set up a captive insurance fund and access reinsurance directly.  I was on the sidelines at a broker who got involved in some NHS insurance arrangements years ago and that was around self insurance. 

So it probably comes out of a central fund rather than directly from the actual trust, but it will still ultimately leave The NHS and the trust might have to increase contributions as a result.  And probably still have a healthy excess. 

I don't know this for sure but I'd be suprised if it was different.  Maybe they could have traditional insurance beyond a certain level. Large organisations tend to mix and match. 

I've always thought it odd to take money out of the system after an error. 

OK if you've an impaired lifestyle to fund, dependents to support or funeral costs. Maybe a bit of a holiday retreat would help or something, but taking a hudreds of thousands for a lost baby, I'm just not sure what it achieves. 

Edited by sidcow

You cannot insure the NHS who make mistakes and have to pay out compensation every single day, I think I heard it was close to a Billion a year. Only the big ones get into the public domain. Another reason the NHS needs reform rather than just throwing money at it.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â