General Chat

AVFCLaura

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Admittedly I don’t have any complex financial products but I’ve not yet encountered a situation that I couldn’t solve using the online services. I can’t remember the last time I needed to speak to someone in a bank.

If banks close though what are you meant to do if you need a significant amount of money or for example get married and get alot of money?

I think the need for banks is stilm evident when you walk jn a branch its always busy

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Trains are shit aren’t they. 

I only use them once or twice and year at most and it’s always a miserable experience. I avoid them at all costs. 

They're not brilliant, but I've been using the bus instead of the train recently and the trains are so much more pleasant.

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

I only use them once or twice and year at most and it’s always a miserable experience. I avoid them at all costs. 

guess it depends ..

Woking to Waterloo is 25 mins and  far less hassle than driving  , so train every time for this 

If I was going to VP , then car every time 

Edited by tonyh29

39 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is it a way of protecting people who have been striking from criticism? 

TPEx & Northern have been shockingly bad for years, even pre-pandemic

Neither company is fit for purpose

Avanti are also becoming shockingly bad. Pretty much every time my daughter comes home from London, she gets a 50% refund for the train being late. Last night she had a cheap £29 ticket, got half back again. They cancelled the previous train and because they cancelled the previous train her was full, full of people who would be claiming a full refund on the fare (the earlier train was much more expensive) then rebuying for that train. And her train was late because the train crew were delayed on their previous train (more refunds)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

Very. This is what annoys me when i complain about taxing the motorist. If you had a great train service and more trains that are affordable then id happily take train than drive. ( can watch a film play my switch etc)

But your paying alot of money for crappy and unreliable services most of the time

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

TPEx & Northern have been shockingly bad for years, even pre-pandemic

Neither company is fit for purpose

Avanti are also becoming shockingly bad. Pretty much every time my daughter comes home from London, she gets a 50% refund for the train being late. Last night she had a cheap £29 ticket, got half back again. They cancelled the previous train and because they cancelled the previous train her was full, full of people who would be claiming a full refund on the fare (the earlier train was much more expensive) then rebuying for that train. And her train was late because the train crew were delayed on their previous train (more refunds)

It doesnt shock me at all had similar experiences 

Trains are great, when they're on time and don't cost more than a flight to Europe.

I always choose the train if I'm going into Birmingham. Faster and easier than other public transport.

I'd love to use the train more to go further afield but the price of tickets just make it pointless unless you're going to London. I'm not going to pay £100 to go to leeds when i can drive it in 2 hours

• Like 3

If we are as a country actually going to meet our emissions targets we have to do less journeys by private car and more by public transport, even with EV vehicles.  In the last 20 years the cost of travelling has gone up higher via train and bus than private car. It is political suicide to introduce road charging but unless we want to be knee deep in melted ice caps it is going to happen.

50 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

guess it depends ..

Woking to Waterloo is 25 mins and  far less hassle than driving  , so train every time for this 

If I was going to VP , then car every time 

I think in and around London is the exception where it works far better, and driving isn’t really an option either.

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think in and around London is the exception where it works far better, and driving isn’t really an option either.

Driving in london in is hell. Too many cars and roads your nit allowed to drive through. 

Public transport all the way if they can get it right

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Transpennine Express cancelling a load of trains again at short notice due to a ‘staff rostering system issue’.

They don’t have enough staff, but apparently it’s a system issue.

Surely enough is enough, how can these operators continue offering such a shockingly poor service.

They don't have enough staff to put in the roster system - ergo, a system issue ;)

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If banks close though what are you meant to do if you need a significant amount of money or for example get married and get alot of money?

I think the need for banks is stilm evident when you walk jn a branch its always busy

What sort of things are you doing if you need a significant amount of cash quickly :P 

• Haha 2

It’s not even difficult to pinpoint what the problem is, privatisation of transport infrastructure and services, it starts and ends there. Nationalise it all and run it for the betterment of the nation rather than to line the pockets of a bunch of already rich arseholes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Exactly - why are trains so incredible in Europe and yet the Brits are so bad at them? 

trains in Europe are equally shit 

google German trains and you’ll see a very similar type of response regarding a lack of punctuality ,likewise France and something like 340 million minutes lost per year due to avoidable train delays

Under funding seems to be the common theme 

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

google German trains and you’ll see a very similar type of response regarding a lack of punctuality ,likewise France and something like 340 million minutes lost per year due to avoidable train delays

I was on a train in France this summer and the mother of all rows erupted between a passenger and the ticket person right next to me. Several other passengers (strangers) seemed to be backing up the passenger and it nearly got violent. Eventually the ticket person had to be physically dragged away by another member of staff..

Surreal experience when this was happening about 30cm away from me and I didn’t have a scooby what a single person had said. 

There once was a box of Celebrations

Received at work, for us workers’ vacations

The conscience it bickers

All that’s left are the snickers

And I’ll probably get constipation

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Punctuality aside, German train are much much cheaper.  Generally much more pleasant carriages to sit in too.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â