General Chat

AVFCLaura

Just got a email from amazon they putting up prime by a £1 a month. The bastard already has more money that he will ever spend in his lifetime yet is putting the fee up when people are struggling. Yes its a extra £12 a year but add that to eveything else that is going up. I think its a piss take and im gonna cancel. Hope others do the same to show these multi billionaires they are taking the piss

Edited by Demitri_C

I’m ok with spiders, they don’t bother me much. If I see one in the house, I either let it go about it’s day or if I think it’s going to bother my daughter, I’ll catch it and let it out.

I dislike flies much more and try to get rid of them promptly.

Contradicting this, if I noticed a fly had landed on my arm, a simple “shoo” and I wouldn’t think anything of it. However if a spider has crept up my arm and caught me unaware, I would be far more startled and unsettled by it.

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m ok with spiders, they don’t bother me much. If I see one in the house, I either let it go about it’s day or if I think it’s going to bother my daughter, I’ll catch it and let it out.

I dislike flies much more and try to get rid of them promptly.

Contradicting this, if I noticed a fly had landed on my arm, a simple “shoo” and I wouldn’t think anything of it. However if a spider has crept up my arm and caught me unaware, I would be far more startled and unsettled by it.

Spiders i am ok with but maggots ergh gross me out. Found a few lingering in my bin the kitchen the other day and it freaked me out as i never had them before. A pesky fly must have gone in the bin and laid eggs. Now im worried about infestation of them.

On 24/07/2022 at 19:26, sidcow said:

Load of old bollox. 

Interestingly that episode was banned in Australia (I believe so anyway), because they tell Peppa that spiders are harmless, and she should not to be afraid of them. 

In Oz, spiders are NOT harmless, and children should run screaming for the nearest shoe/rolling pin/5 iron/jeep. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Interestingly that episode was banned in Australia (I believe so anyway), because they tell Peppa that spiders are harmless, and she should not to be afraid of them. 

In Oz, spiders are NOT harmless, and children should run screaming for the nearest shoe/rolling pin/5 iron/jeep. 

I was actually about to ask this the other day! 

We're always telling kids not to be scared of spiders but I assume in places they have dangerous spiders they don't do those and a kids programme actually encouraging them to play with spiders would not be endorsed! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

When I first went to work in Aus, I was very careful to do all the right things - check my boots before putting them on, all that kind of stuff. Stay away from the funnel web spidey living in a hole in my wall etc.

But that kind of changed when I saw the local kids would just run around barefoot everywhere with not a care in the world. So I kind of chilled out about everything being dangerous.

That said, several of our lot got bitten by redbacks and one (my carshare buddy)  was seriously affected and had to get evacuated to Adelaide, 500 kilometers away.

Like with most critters, you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone.

still, there are some best moved away (may have posted these before)

kitchen guest

kitchen scorpion.jpeg

and hangar guest

brown snake.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Shocked 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I was actually about to ask this the other day! 

We're always telling kids not to be scared of spiders but I assume in places they have dangerous spiders they don't do those and a kids programme actually encouraging them to play with spiders would not be endorsed! 

I'm not sure it came about after a specific incident, I think they just took the view it was bloody stupid to teach their kids to pet Black Widows. Which is fair enough. 

Incidentally, did you know that in Australia, they don't have an age rating system for films (12, 15 etc), they have two categories 'Bloody Stupid', and 'She'll be 'right'.

One of the above sentences was a lie btw. Shhh. 

The worst are the Sydney Funnel Web Spiders.

I know someone who emigrated there and came close to dying after being bitten by one.

The scary thing was he didn't come into contact with it on the ground he was in his garden clearing some trees and one fell down landed on his chest and bit him and it was really close to his heart.

They don't just bite you and piss off either they hook into you and do it again and again. 

Edited by AshVilla

On 25/07/2022 at 18:02, Xela said:

Here's one for @sidcow. Got in bed last night, about 11pm. I was kind of half asleep, and I feel a tickling on my arm. Have a look and I see the shadowy form on an arachnid crawling on me 🕷️

Had loads in the flat recently due to the weather. Plus my windows have been open for weeks on end! 

I was telling my Mrs the other night not to open the windows wide enough that someone could climb in. Low and behold I wake up in the middle of the night with the landing and lads windows wide open. I didn't want the grief 1400 in the morning so just went back to bed and told her to close them. I wake up again at 1500, with what I thought was one of those mahossive moths in the room (I so much hate them). Nearly pooing my pants I managed to turn the lights on and noticed it was a bloody little bat. Cut a long story short, I fumed at the Mrs, managed to trap it in the spare room with the window wide open hoping it would fly out which it did. I doubt she will risk it again. 😂

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Just got a email from amazon they putting up prime by a £1 a month. The bastard already has more money that he will ever spend in his lifetime yet is putting the fee up when people are struggling. Yes its a extra £12 a year but add that to eveything else that is going up. I think its a piss take and im gonna cancel. Hope others do the same to show these multi billionaires they are taking the piss

If you pay annual before 15 September sounds like first year will be £79 rather than £108 if you paid monthly  (12 x 9). Not a massive saving but at least could go towards 1 hours gas/electricity!

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Saudi’s are planning a “linear city ” 170km long housing 9 million people 

Looks impressive if they can pull it off 

The Line, a 170km long skyscraper standing 500m tall - higher than New York's Empire State Building.

It is designed for nine million residents living in a "series of unique communities".

Residents will have access to "all their daily needs" in "five-minute walk neighbourhoods".

https://news.sky.com/video/share-12659554

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Saudi’s are planning a “linear city ” 170km long housing 9 million people 

Looks impressive if they can pull it off 

Sounds like a huge prison. Or one of those big blocks out of Judge Dredd.

All your needs catered for. Unless you are gay. Or a Christian. Or are critical of the ruling family. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sounds like a huge prison. Or one of those big blocks out of Judge Dredd.

All your needs catered for. Unless you are gay. Or a Christian. Or are critical of the ruling family. 

Or Greta Thunburg

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â