General Chat

AVFCLaura

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Can remember going to a 200 person session speaker thing in brum on kershaw and one of the speakers raised the question was Hitler an evil megalomaniac or shaped by the previous 20 years of his life and therefore so deluded that he seriously believed that he was doing good for Germany... I think kershaw leans towards the latter I can't properly remember, however I can remember one of the a level students screaming at the speaker for being wrong and storming out 

They wouldn't even hold a session talking about that now.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think kershaw leans towards the latter I can't properly remember

Seems like there's a riddle for you to solve there. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Would be even harder now as there is more of it.

Not only that but it now appears that most of what I was taught in history was actually a load of bollocks. 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Not only that but it now appears that most of what I was taught in history was actually a load of bollocks. 

Yup. Even now there are people who genuinely think humans built the pyramids.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Yup. Even now there are people who genuinely think humans built the pyramids.

A mate of mine is a scaffolder. I went to Egypt years ago and took a picture of all this proper rickety scaffolding up the side of the Sphinx. Turned out he'd got a collection of them, I was about the 5th person with the same idea. 

This was before digital cameras and social media obviously. 

Just now, sidcow said:

A mate of mine is a scaffolder. I went to Egypt years ago and took a picture of all this proper rickety scaffolding up the side of the Sphinx. Turned out he'd got a collection of them, I was about the 5th person with the same idea. 

This was before digital cameras and social media obviously. 

I suspect you caught a restoration period rather than initial construction.

• Haha 1

Anyone started getting Amazon deliveries by Royal Mail instead? Ordered 4 items this week all for Saturday delivery as someone in all day, 2 arrived Fri night, left in porch, 1 Saturday am, no knock at door, just left a card and another yesterday afternoon, no knock, left a card, we were in for all, Muppets!

On 17/03/2022 at 19:07, mjmooney said:

Can confirm. Degree in International History and Politics. Didn't want to be a teacher. Retrained. 30 years as an IT dude. 

I did a similar degree and ended up working in politics for about 10 years, but I wouldn’t say the degree actually prepared me for any of the stuff I did. It was, however, a really interesting subject to study.

I now work in a completely unrelated field.

(One thing maybe it did teach is smashing out an essay at the last minute to a deadline, which was a useful skill in a way… although academic writing is so clunky that you have to learn how to stop using words like “furthermore” and “therefore” and all the “isms”).

I think the main value of these kinds of degrees is the intrinsic pleasure you get from studying them, and I would love to do another degree in later life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I did a similar degree and ended up working in politics for about 10 years, but I wouldn’t say the degree actually prepared me for any of the stuff I did. It was, however, a really interesting subject to study.

I now work in a completely unrelated field.

(One thing maybe it did teach is smashing out an essay at the last minute to a deadline, which was a useful skill in a way… although academic writing is so clunky that you have to learn how to stop using words like “furthermore” and “therefore” and all the “isms”).

I think the main value of these kinds of degrees is the intrinsic pleasure you get from studying them, and I would love to do another degree in later life.

My nipper did American Politics in Uni (first class hons, just saying) but I’ve proof read essays and snaffled up all the books once they’ve been discarded. Shelves full of books on Reaganomics and Gerry Ford and `Vietnam.

I’m a bit late to the party, but loving it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My nipper did American Politics in Uni (first class hons, just saying) but I’ve proof read essays and snaffled up all the books once they’ve been discarded. Shelves full of books on Reaganomics and Gerry Ford and `Vietnam.

I’m a bit late to the party, but loving it.

Yeah by far the best thing about going to uni and doing this kind of degree is just getting the curated reading lists for each module. You wouldn’t know where to start otherwise.

• Like 1

I did a politics degree, and it remains an interest, but I didn't ever want to work in it really, and haven't in the end. I ended up in the industry that hires people that are reasonably smart but don't know what to do with it, insurance.

Kept all the books, the notes, the essays, as they are interesting (to varying degrees). I've still got the (frankly massive) bound supporting info packs one course I did on Islamisation that we were all handed out. One of them, no exagerration, is like a phonebook. And there were 2 others alongside it, thankfully only about a hundred pages.

• Like 1

I wish I had continued with history at a higher level. I stopped after Year 9 (age 13/14). 

I was interested in the battles and wars, who lost his head and why…but all I can remember from the final year was endless lessons about the industrial revolution. These days I would be far more interested to listen to that, but at the time it seemed a much drier subject.

For reasons I can’t recall*, I chose geography and business studies and proceeded to day dream my way through the next two years with my grades reflecting that.

*The reasons may well have been something not related to the subject material - I liked my spot in the classroom, the teacher wasn’t completely unbearable, I thought one of the pretty girls was also choosing that subject. All quite possible.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I wish I had continued with history at a higher level. I stopped after Year 9 (age 13/14). 

I was interested in the battles and wars, who lost his head and why…but all I can remember from the final year was endless lessons about the industrial revolution. These days I would be far more interested to listen to that, but at the time it seemed a much drier subject.

This could be me. I was top of the class after the war studies. Teacher said I was an O'level shoe in. 

The O'level course was all about The Poor Law's and social history and I had absolutely no interest.  

Now I find all that stuff absolutely fascinating. Education is wasted on kids really the ungrateful shits. 

• Like 3

On 27/03/2022 at 13:16, Phil Silvers said:

Anyone started getting Amazon deliveries by Royal Mail instead? Ordered 4 items this week all for Saturday delivery as someone in all day, 2 arrived Fri night, left in porch, 1 Saturday am, no knock at door, just left a card and another yesterday afternoon, no knock, left a card, we were in for all, Muppets!

Yep same for me. 

Amazon package delivered by Royal Mail on Saturday.

Got an email "Your package has been delivered". I was in but whatever. 

Looked at the "proof of delivery picture" and can clearly see it's been delivered. To a postbox. That isn't mine. 

Been round the neighbours, none of them. **** know where it is

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep same for me. 

Looked at the "proof of delivery picture" and can clearly see it's been delivered. To a postbox. That isn't mine. 

We have a neighbourhood facebook group and it’s constant people sharing pictures of the doorstep their parcel was delivered to which isn’t theirs.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep same for me. 

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

We have a neighbourhood facebook group and it’s constant people sharing pictures of the doorstep their parcel was delivered to which isn’t theirs.

Mine was taken to the sorting office on Trinity rd in Dudley, prob 10 miles round trip, absolute words removed, not only that, Trinity rd is all double yellow lines as it turned out and there's no carpark at the sorting office. Find a spot half way up the next road and had a 20 minute round trip walking to and waiting for the **** parcel. All this for a 45 pack of special bog roll that was on offer. **** Amazon and **** the Royal Mail.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â