General Chat

AVFCLaura

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Fukuyama’s ‘The End Of History’ was published in 1992.

I had to read that in Uni, would have been 2007. I thought it wasn’t worth the paper it was printed on then. Even less so now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

maybe it was just my school but i would class that as culture and cultural history wasn't taught, not even for context 

BLM too, i cant breathe was 2014, the florida security guard shooting, ferguson, theres been plenty before the floyd riots - but again say for example when they skimmed over vietnam and the cuban missile crisis and the cold war they never touched on the civil rights movement

was thinking about it the other day and whether or not at some point history at school will move away from events and towards things that shape the world the kids actually live in, like the civil rights movement, like windrush, brexit and the original creation of the EU, israel and palestine, 9/11

do you teach them the industrial revolution or do you teach them why there are security scanners at airports? keep a wide impact or narrow it down in to specifics which they will relate to more

I teach history. I couldn’t possibly do that and not include cultural history. Events without the cultural context in which they take place is just trivia, not real learning. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I teach history. I couldn’t possibly do that and not include cultural history. Events without the cultural context in which they take place is just trivia, not real learning. 

I don't think we did

That said I seem to remember maybe a month's worth of stuff on the cold war / Vietnam and definitley something on CMC at GCSE level but nothing at A Level and that was pretty much the only time we ventured past 1945 

When we did the cold war we didn't do the swinging 60s, flower power, civil rights and baby boomers, we definitely didn't touch on the music and TV and people Ali refusing to go to Vietnam that kind of stuff 

Maybe a brief couple of hours on it in the lead up to 1929 wall street crash 

Viking, roman and tudor culture obviously we smashed out of the park

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think we did

That said I seem to remember maybe a month's worth of stuff on the cold war / Vietnam and definitley something on CMC at GCSE level but nothing at A Level and that was pretty much the only time we ventured past 1945 

When we did the cold war we didn't do the swinging 60s, flower power, civil rights and baby boomers, we definitely didn't touch on the music and TV and people Ali refusing to go to Vietnam that kind of stuff 

Maybe a brief couple of hours on it in the lead up to 1929 wall street crash 

Viking, roman and tudor culture obviously we smashed out of the park

I think we teach history better these days. Or rather, I’d like to think I teach history better than my teachers did (and they weren’t that bad, but still.) 

History as a field is evolving. Luckily. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Zen said:

I was thinking about training to become a History teacher a while ago. I changed my mind in the end because I couldn't see any future in it.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

I was thinking about training to become a History teacher a while ago. I changed my mind in the end because I couldn't see any future in it.

And I’ll tell you, the past ain’t what it used to be either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I'm all seriousness I wish I'd done history at uni, it was my favourite subject by miles but other than teacher or a museum I couldn't see where I could take it, should have researched it properly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I'm all seriousness I wish I'd done history at uni, it was my favourite subject by miles but other than teacher or a museum I couldn't see where I could take it, should have researched it properly 

Can confirm. Degree in International History and Politics. Didn't want to be a teacher. Retrained. 30 years as an IT dude. 

7 hours ago, El Zen said:

I think we teach history better these days. Or rather, I’d like to think I teach history better than my teachers did (and they weren’t that bad, but still.) 

History as a field is evolving. Luckily. 

How much leeway do you get? Teaching in the UK since I was at school may have become a bit less rote learning based, but the syllabus seems to be pretty strictly tied to the National Curriculum, with very little chance for individual variation by teachers. Box ticking dominates. 

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How much leeway do you get? Teaching in the UK since I was at school may have become a bit less rote learning based, but the syllabus seems to be pretty strictly tied to the National Curriculum, with very little chance for individual variation by teachers. Box ticking dominates. 

A fair bit. I have a set of national vague-ish guidelines that tell me what skills and  knowledge I am to teach them, but there is a lot of leeway in there. Of course, books and other avaiable material dictates a bit too. But I’m not technically required to use them. 

• Like 1

The 7.4 earthquake in Tohoku region of Japan yesterday, we saw the weird flashing earthquake light but did anyone see the missile of light head downwards into the land/sea? Was like out of War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise where the news team slow down the lightning strikes. Proper weird and can’t find anything else about it or anyone else talking about it. 

17 hours ago, Designer1 said:

In due course, you’ll look back on that decision and realise that there’s a lesson to be learned there, if not for you then for the younger generation.

12 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

The 7.4 earthquake in Tohoku region of Japan yesterday, we saw the weird flashing earthquake light but did anyone see the missile of light head downwards into the land/sea? Was like out of War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise where the news team slow down the lightning strikes. Proper weird and can’t find anything else about it or anyone else talking about it. 

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2022 at 17:17, villa4europe said:

I hated history at school but these days I can’t think why. It’s fascinating and I feel like if I did history now I’d love it. But at the time I just had zero interest in it

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I hated history at school but these days I can’t think why. It’s fascinating and I feel like if I did history now I’d love it. But at the time I just had zero interest in it

To be fair my favourite teacher was my history teacher, he was a great guy, I would say that the curriculum and the way it's taught isn't the best (from memory) but at the same time the way he taught history was the best, he basically started my GCSEs and A levels with "there's no wrong answer in history" there's only your ability to back up and support your arguments via facts and sources, that was a red rag to a bull for me, whereas every other subject seemed to curtail freedom of thought and imo uni was terrible for lack of it and therefore boring history was opinionated and the questions in the exams were open and I loved that 

Can remember going to a 200 person session speaker thing in brum on kershaw and one of the speakers raised the question was Hitler an evil megalomaniac or shaped by the previous 20 years of his life and therefore so deluded that he seriously believed that he was doing good for Germany... I think kershaw leans towards the latter I can't properly remember, however I can remember one of the a level students screaming at the speaker for being wrong and storming out 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â