General Chat

AVFCLaura

Here in Leeds, there used to be two high street 'baked goods' chains - Thurstons and Ainsleys. Thurstons was the more 'cheap and cheerful' option, and was actually owned by the Newcastle-based Greggs (as was Braggs in Birmingham). They eventually dropped the local names, and all became simply Greggs. Meanwhile, the vastly superior Ainsleys went bust. Their shops were mostly taken over by Cooplands - who are frankly, crap - much worse than Greggs. I still miss Ainsleys, they were great. 

Price point is key for a lot of people, not everyone, but for some there is a mile of difference between three £1.50 steak bakes for you and the kids when shopping in town, or three £5 ‘authentic’ Cornish pasties.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

At Villa yesterday, I was getting my half time chips and curry sauce, when a bloke behind me in the queue shouted to his mate at the front “get a liver drink”. 

His mate nodded, turned back round and ordered.

I was looking at the menu screens for far too long, trying to work out if Bovril had brought out a new beverage, before realising he’d said “get our Liv a drink”.

This is something worthy of discussion.  I would never ever refer to a family member as "our" unless there was someone being talked about with the same name and I was trying to establish if it was my family member of the other person. 

But many people will refer to "our" whatever as a matter of course. 

I've always thought of it as a bit northern but if definitely does happen round these parts too.  Is it a class thing or a northern thing travelling south or something else? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Here in Leeds, there used to be two high street 'baked goods' chains - Thurstons and Ainsleys. Thurstons was the more 'cheap and cheerful' option, and was actually owned by the Newcastle-based Greggs (as was Braggs in Birmingham). They eventually dropped the local names, and all became simply Greggs. Meanwhile, the vastly superior Ainsleys went bust. Their shops were mostly taken over by Cooplands - who are frankly, crap - much worse than Greggs. I still miss Ainsleys, they were great. 

I so miss Starkey's in Brum. They had the best sausage rolls I've ever had bar none.  Their sausage meat was a little pink in colour* rather than the brown sludge that seems to be ubiquitous these days. 

A small independent cafe by my school used to have something the same or very similar, not sure if Starkey's used to sell their stuff to other outlets. 

Anyway, another classic bought by Greggs and closed down. 

I do quite like Greggs pastries but they are not the best by any stretch. Such a shame they've vandalised so many better quality businesses to achieve their total dominance.

* yes yes

image.png.84558039bdfe2cc77d7869f102b3f677.png

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

This is something worthy of discussion.  I would never ever refer to a family member as "our" unless there was someone being talked about with the same name and I was trying to establish if it was my family member of the other person. 

But many people will refer to "our" whatever as a matter of course. 

I've always thought of it as a bit northern but if definitely does happen round these parts too.  Is it a class thing or a northern thing travelling south or something else? 

There's a whole discussion to be had around 'our kid'. Up north, it's widely used, but always in reference to an actual sibling (the Gallagher brothers seem to say it as often as 'knoworrimean?')

Unless things have changed, I remember Brummies using it as a general term of endearment among friends - "Yo orlroight, ar kid?" 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There's a whole discussion to be had around 'our kid'. Up north, it's widely used, but always in reference to an actual sibling (the Gallagher brothers seem to say it as often as 'knoworrimean?')

Unless things have changed, I remember Brummies using it as a general term of endearment among friends - "Yo orlroight, ar kid?" 

Oh, our kid for sure.  But our Shirley our Dave is what I'm on about.  If I was getting my mate to buy my son a drink I would just say "Get Dave a drink" not "Get our Dave a drink."

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Oh, our kid for sure.  But our Shirley our Dave is what I'm on about.  If I was getting my mate to buy my son a drink I would just say "Get Dave a drink" not "Get our Dave a drink."

You do hear that a lot up here. 

30 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Price point is key for a lot of people, not everyone, but for some there is a mile of difference between three £1.50 steak bakes for you and the kids when shopping in town, or three £5 ‘authentic’ Cornish pasties.

This is it for me. I only have pasties, pork pies or sausage rolls a couple of times a year so would much rather pay more and get something better. Having grown up in the South West I can also be a bit fussy about pasties. Not as bad as I am about scones though. 

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Maybe a generational thing, my in-laws often refer to family members as “our [name]” 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

I decided it was time to leave West Yorkshire when in the space of a week my wife said "our" and I said "up road". 

I'm afraid after 50 years I've pretty much gone native. 

Greggs is more of a take-away chain now isn't it? Its not a bakery as such, since they stopped baking and selling bread. 

There are some nice bakeries in Lichfield, which are recommended. Hindleys, who used to be a chain of about 20, including one in Five Ways, is down to just the Lichfield store and Birds, who have a lot around Staffs, Derbyshire and Notts. They do lovely rolls and cakes. 

Thanks for tuning in to Xela's Bakery Hour and see you the same time next week. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Maybe a generational thing, my in-laws often refer to family members as “our [name]” 

Possibly. Thinking about it I'm pretty certain I've heard "our Sharon" etc on Eastenders"

Was also thinking about @mjmooneywith the "our kid" as I've also heard people say "our kidda" as a interchangeable option. What's that all about? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I can’t remember what they we talking about but I remember they were sisters. I was thinking that I bet at the end of the shift they had a good chat about all the cocks they’d seen that day.

No-one got to see my cock either, even though I was fully naked from the chest down.

FFS.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â