General Chat

AVFCLaura

Bernard Matthews is dead

Irony with it being thanksgiving?

You couldn't make it up. Random events are scary. :shock:

You could make it up!

(I have a pet hate with the misuse of this phrase)

Not sure I follow. I always thought the phrase was an approximation of:

"(That's so unthinkably unbelievable) you couldn't make it up (if you tried)"

Well yes. But it's not unbelievable. I guess specifically its when commentators say "You couldn't write the script!"

Someone posted Zhirkov's goal for chelsea on his first game back in Russia since he joined them in another thread. The commentator said something like, "Zhirkov, on hisfirst game back in russia, scores! You couldn't write the script!"

Yes you could. If I was writing a script for that game that's exactly what I would write.

Similarly, if I had to make something up about Mr Matthew's death, it would be quite feasbile that I'd make it up so that he died on Thanksgiving, a famous day for Turkey.

Now if he died smoking a cigarette whilst jetskiing over a lake of paraffin, I couldn't make THAT up. (although I realise i just did make it up, but I would accept the phrase in that scenario as it's quite unbelievable)

Commentary from tomorrow... ;)

"And that completes Pires' hat-trick, and Villa lead 3-0 with 1 minute of injury time left, you couldn't make it up! *long pause* Hang on, a Villa suporter appears to have gone berserk in the stands and is heading towards me.... Security! SECURITY!!"

If that happened (beating Arsenal, not Stevo rabidly attacking a match commentator) I will be very happy.

Bernard Matthews is dead

You could make it up!

Well yes. But it's not unbelievable. I guess specifically its when commentators say "You couldn't write the script!"

Someone posted Zhirkov's goal for chelsea on his first game back in Russia since he joined them in another thread. The commentator said something like, "Zhirkov, on hisfirst game back in russia, scores! You couldn't write the script!"

Yes you could. If I was writing a script for that game that's exactly what I would write.

Similarly, if I had to make something up about Mr Matthew's death, it would be quite feasbile that I'd make it up so that he died on Thanksgiving, a famous day for Turkey.

Now if he died smoking a cigarette whilst jetskiing over a lake of paraffin, I couldn't make THAT up. (although I realise i just did make it up, but I would accept the phrase in that scenario as it's quite unbelievable)

Ah! I get you. It's not that the could or couldn't is the issue it's that when it's couldn't it normally should have been could! ;)

Just had a look on job centre website and saw this advertised

This Vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Fresh Recruitment Solutions who is operating as an employment business. Required for work in a busy printing/process warehouse environment. Ability to speak or understand polish language advantageous but not essential.

We are in **** England for god sake.

Just had a look on job centre website and saw this advertised

This Vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Fresh Recruitment Solutions who is operating as an employment business. Required for work in a busy printing/process warehouse environment. Ability to speak or understand polish language advantageous but not essential.

We are in **** England for god sake.

Here is your card, I'll let you play it.

Bernard Matthews is dead

You could make it up!

Ah! I get you. It's not that the could or couldn't is the issue it's that when it's couldn't it normally should have been could! ;)

Oh yes, I see what you mean with you're original post. You thought I was saying that the phrase should be "you could make it up"

That's not what I meant, i think my rant explained :D

Commentary from tomorrow... ;)

"And that completes Pires' hat-trick, and Villa lead 3-0 with 1 minute of injury time left, you couldn't make it up! *long pause* Hang on, a Villa suporter appears to have gone berserk in the stands and is heading towards me.... Security! SECURITY!!"

If that happened (beating Arsenal, not Stevo rabidly attacking a match commentator) I will be very happy.

:crylaugh:

If i was within earshot of a commentator who said that I probably would attack him.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â