General Chat

AVFCLaura

My mother went to a psychic medium tonight, she is absolutely convinced that the whole thing was genuine. I've told her it's a farce and explained what cold reading is but she won't hear any of it. She's actually mocking me for not believing it and says I'm just 'scared of the spirit world'.

I feel sorry for her.

I'm going to base my parenting skills on furious styles from boyz n the hood.

Unless you get a girl pregnant when you are aged five and three quarters then you will struggle to match Furious.

My mother went to a psychic medium tonight, she is absolutely convinced that the whole thing was genuine. I've told her it's a farce and explained what cold reading is but she won't hear any of it. She's actually mocking me for not believing it and says I'm just 'scared of the spirit world'.

I feel sorry for her.

I hate psychics and mediums, they're just con artists preying on the vulnerable. They try to pass it off as "for entertainment purposes only" but you see the reactions on the poor mugs that believe it and you can tell they don't see it as entertainment only. It should be illegal.

I feel sorry for her.

I hate psychics and mediums, they're just con artists preying on the vulnerable. They try to pass it off as "for entertainment purposes only" but you see the reactions on the poor mugs that believe it and you can tell they don't see it as entertainment only. It should be illegal.

My ex (sort of) went to a tarot reading today. i got the same thing "there's no way she could have known about her holiday next january"

I asked her if she actually specifically said she was going on holiday in january.

"I don't really remember but she definitely knew about it"

Yeh right.

She's trying to convince me to go to one I'm actually tempted, purely because i've never been, and even though i think it's total crap, I'm intrigued as to how it works.

But that would be funding the ridiculous industry which I feel very strongly against so I don't think it's going to happen.

I feel sorry for her.

That's why it irritates me so. Hearing my mother talking about my great grandparents' like that, truthfully believing they were floating around in some dingy community centre, saying how emotional and close to tears she got. She's already talking about spending more money to go to see more.

These people are scum. Charging people to exploit their naivety.

But then I think if you are that dumb then you deserve to be exploited.

I'm actually tempted, purely because i've never been, and even though i think it's total crap, I'm intrigued as to how it works.

But that would be funding the ridiculous industry which I feel very strongly against so I don't think it's going to happen.

Just read up on it so then you can see how it works without giving them your money. There was a Derren Brown special not that long about about a psychic from Liverpool, Joe Powers I think, and he just ripped him apart. The only person Joe got a decent read on was someone who lived next door to his sister.

It's all cold reading and Barnum statements. It's interesting that you can't use those techniques to get people to invest money into imaginary schemes because then you're a fraudster committing a con, but you can use them legally to get people to pay for you to tell them you're talking to their long dead relatives.

I went to see a psychic show once because I got in free, it was amazing how many people were throwing the psychic information and then being amazed when they told them the exact same information back 2 minutes later.

It'd go like this "I'm getting someone through, their name starts with a P, maybe a paul.." and then someone would go "Pauline? That could be my mum who died of cancer" then you'd get "yes, Pauline that's it, it connects with a T" and then they'd throw another name out, a sibling, husband, parent, friend, you can go with any common letter and it's pretty guaranteed that person will connect to someone with that letter, and you don't even have to guess the name the mark will tell you it. Or they'd just go for "it sounds like june, or jane..." and you'll get people going "oh yeah Joan!" and everyone knows a June, Jane, Joan, Janet, that will "fit". If the name misses they'd just throw out one after the other until one hit, and people only ever remember the ones that hit. Then they'd go back to the original hit, and start talking about what they were told at the start as if they'd just magicked it up, "this person is telling me that they died of cancer" no, they're not, the mark told them that, but they don't remember because they're on some sort of emotional high.

Of course you can't then tell people this, because then YOU are the bad guy and are taking away their connection to their dead relatives, it's not the person giving them some false connection to them that's doing wrong, it's you for exposing it.

I'd round up the entire industry and charge the lot of them with fraud by misrepresentation and obtaining money by deception.

I've been to 2 psychics, 1 where she came round your house for a 1 on 1 and then 1 where it was 6 of us sat having a meal

First one was good, pretty creepy lots of association but good entertainment, 2nd one was dire " I see a white fence" followed by some dickhead saying " omg that's my dead grans house" I almost heard her say kerr-ching

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â