General Chat

AVFCLaura

I've just got a new laptop with Windows 7, I need to download a few songs for a cd I'm making for my band. Any suggestions of sites/ programs that wont give me viruses?

There are lots of free programs that allow you to rip the audio from youtube videos.

Cheers, I've ended up going back to limewire because I know how to use it.. :lol:

I'm not a fan of itunes, I don't like the fact that you can't just make an mp3 cd to play in your car..

You can't make an mp3 cd to play in your car?

Well maybe if your car doesn't have a cd player. Otherwise what's wrong with the create a playlist, burn cd?

Leave Limewire alone for the sake of your new computer. I used limewire and had to replace my compute/laptop every year. Since I moved to torrents, I've had the same comp for 4 years. Although I do get a blue screen every 4 times I start it up and I have to end process dumpprep.exe every time I start it up.

I'm (finally) going to sign on tomorrow it seems. I should have done this months ago but in a combination of not getting round to it, other things getting in the way, and not being particularly keen on doing it (numerous issues make it a pain in the arse to get to job centre on a regular basis), I just didn't.

Anyway, I have absolutely no idea what the procedure is at all. All I know is I'll need to go in once a fortnight, show them I'm actively seeking work, and that it's soul destroying. Any ideas what to expect? Or what I'll need to do/take with me?

(Funnily enough the not going to sign on has actually been to my detriment, I've spent the last 2 months actually looking for work, and got nothing to show for it other than a smaller bank account. More fool me).

I'm going to sign on in 2 weeks. Hope to get it backpaid from the end of May. A lump sum of €3K for sitting on my arse won't be bad. What a country!!

Ireland does backdating on JSA? Blimey.

The UK doesn't unfortunately. If it did I'd be laughing.

Well, maybe not laughing, but considerably better off.

Any ideas what to expect? Or what I'll need to do/take with me?

Don't you have to do it over the 'phone now?

Speak to some muppet somewhere outside Shrewsbury or Telford; answer all of the questions that you used to fill out for yourself in a form only to find out that the pillock on the other end of the 'phone hasn't filled out half of the form, so you have to go in to the job centre for a 30 minute appointment to 'go through and fill in the highlighted questions'.

Actually, it appears you can do it online nowadays.

Here.

Don't you have to do it over the 'phone now?

Speak to some muppet somewhere outside Shrewsbury or Telford; answer all of the questions that you used to fill out for yourself in a form only to find out that the pillock on the other end of the 'phone hasn't filled out half of the form, so you have to go in to the job centre for a 30 minute appointment to 'go through and fill in the highlighted questions'.

Actually, it appears you can do it online nowadays.

Here.

The bitter, bitter voice of experience there Darren? ;):lol:

I'll look into doing it online actually, cheers, I'm not good with filling in forms with a pen, I'm terrified I'll do something wrong and have to start again so takes me forever to fill them out.

Also saves me going down the Job Centre just to be given a form and pen and nowhere to write. The less time I have to spend in the place, the better.

Do they actually help you look for work (which I'm sure they used to... or at leas the film Control has persuaded me is the case) by the way, or is it a case of just making sure your not taking the piss?

I'm (finally) going to sign on tomorrow it seems. I should have done this months ago but I'm a rich bastard

I wish Rob! I managed to make about £400 last since about May. Down to slip pickings now which I don't want to touch.

It should be said that that £400 was/is also the arse end of my overdraft. Erk. And a big overdraft it is too.

Just had last FIFA tournament before everyone leaves for Uni, 3rd place out of 9, 6 hours it lasted. Group stages, knock out, the lot. Beautiful.

Sounds like a great time. I love Fifa tournaments, but my friends are all at very different levels. Probably ranging between level 1 and level 30 online so it can be pretty pointless a lot of the time.

The bitter, bitter voice of experience there Darren? ;):lol:

Indeed, mate. That same scenario happened to me twice in the space of two or three years.

Second time round the person with whom I ended up having the appointment to correct the omissions said that's what they'd spent most of the last couple of months doing (going back through people's incomplete forms). It was something to do with the call centres employing a load of people on temporary contracts who either couldn't be arsed to do it properly or weren't given the correct training (not that there's much training required to a)read out a question and b)fill in the corresponding answer given). I tried to suggest having spent a lot of time temping that it wasn't my experience that temps were normally so slapdash. :D

Anyway, that was a few years back.

I'll look into doing it online actually, cheers, I'm not good with filling in forms with a pen, I'm terrified I'll do something wrong and have to start again so takes me forever to fill them out.

Also saves me going down the Job Centre just to be given a form and pen and nowhere to write. The less time I have to spend in the place, the better.

I don't think they actually hand you out a form, though, now. Like I said the last time I did it a few years back, the only way to make a new claim was over the 'phone. I think they even did something like give you a vague time for a telephone appointment (and if you didn't answer your 'phone they only tried once more).

Do they actually help you look for work (which I'm sure they used to... or at leas the film Control has persuaded me is the case), or is it a case of just making sure your not taking the piss?

In my experience, not a sausage.

I remember having some sort of 'jobseeker interview' thing where they go through what you are going to do to look for work and what work you are looking for and one of the things they ask you is what work you normally do (okay you won't have to field that one). When the woman asked me, I replied saying that my last three contracts had been as a finance analyst. She looked it up on her computer and the menu of job categories and when she couldn't find it, she said she was going to put in 'financial advisor'.

She got quite irate when I told her not to as that was something completely different and said that as she didn't have it down on her list, I couldn't be one (a finance analyst). I found myself in some sort of existential nightmare.

It was at that point that I realized that perhaps most of the people working in job centres aren't the best people to help those out of work to get in to work apart from perhaps becoming out of work themselves and giving their job to someone unemployed.

The people who seem to be quite good at the job centre are few and far between. In some job centres, it seems like all they are doing is firefighting, though, so it can be understandable to a degree.

Main advice: prepare to be spoken to as though you are an idiot.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â