General Chat

Stevo985

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Halcyon days!

Halcyon days

Ovid and Hyginus both also make the metamorphosis the origin of the etymology for "halcyon days", the seven days in winter when storms never occur. They state that these were originally the 14 days each year (seven days on either side of the shortest day of the year) during which Alcyone (as a kingfisher) laid her eggs and made her nest on the beach and during which her father Aeolus, god of the winds, restrained the winds and calmed the waves so she could do so in safety. The phrase has since come to refer to any peaceful time. Its proper meaning, however, is that of a lucky break, or a bright interval set in the midst of adversity; just as the days of calm and mild weather are set in the height of winter for the sake of the kingfishers' egglaying.

Wikipedia

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You get crucified if you dare say it, but there are blatantly a handful of posters who are gutted by today’s result. 

Absolutely. Today is a bad day for them. 

In my ten or so years on VT, we’ve had threads like had the “Honey Trap” thread, Rory Delap, “Strong City”, the Ethan Moore and Barry Bannan threads; we’ve had posters fawning over a man pretending to be a female snowboarder...

But the Steve Bruce thread tops the lot of them - mental, hilarious, and totally ludicrous, all in equal measure. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

In my ten or so years on VT, we’ve had threads like had the “Honey Trap” thread, Rory Delap, “Strong City”, the Ethan Moore and Barry Bannan threads; we’ve had posters fawning over a man pretending to be a female snowboarder...

But the Steve Bruce thread tops the lot of them - mental, hilarious, and totally ludicrous, all in equal measure. 

Yep.... and yet I can’t help but creep in and stir the pot :D

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Zealous fanaticism, blind ignorance, the threat of an eternity in hell for non-believers. Completely nuts...

But the ‘Strong City’ thread was pretty crazy, too. 

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 3

I don't want to turn this into a football discussion but even if we somehow get promoted this season, what hope do we have next season? We'll just be about trying to stay up. 

Seems all rather pointless now. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xela said:

I don't want to turn this into a football discussion but even if we somehow get promoted this season, what hope do we have next season? We'll just be about trying to stay up. 

Was saying the same thing earlier. Nice to win, but is this really a club set up that's remotely ready to go back up?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xela said:

I’m not sure tbh, in recent seasons we’ve seen sides go up and do quite well and teams that come down struggle. To me that suggests there is little gap (maybe even an overlap) between the 2 divisions. For that reason I’m hopeful that IF we go up it might not be as bad as we fear!

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Global crisis: whatsapp gone down.

The worlds gone into turmoil

I hope it stays down for 24 hours! Always funny to see the meltdown play out!

Â