General Chat

Stevo985

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Just watching Jonathan Ross show, Phil Colins :o I appreciate he's getting on now, but bloody hell. He looks an ill man, shouldn't be anywhere near a talk show. 

He has been through the ringer

Reclining in a spacious suite in an upmarket Kensington hotel, Phil Collins is polishing off a plate of chips.

"When this is done, could you get me a glass of white wine?" he asks his publicist.

The request comes as a surprise as the singer's new autobiography, Not Dead Yet, reveals for the first time the extent of his battle with alcoholism.

"Night after night I find myself lying on the bed, staring out of a skylight at grey Swiss skies, rueing my life," Collins writes about the impact that retirement, divorce and crippling back pain had on his life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37714459

• Like 1

Anyone ever paid to use someone else's drive in London for the day?

looking to pre book some parking for Saturday, found a website selling a space on someone's drive in Ruislip for £5, it's either that or travel in to Wembley and pay £8 for a proper car park

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Anyone ever paid to use someone else's drive in London for the day?

looking to pre book some parking for Saturday, found a website selling a space on someone's drive in Ruislip for £5, it's either that or travel in to Wembley and pay £8 for a proper car park

Yep, used it a couple of times for London gigs. Used the same parking place twice as it was literally less than 5 mins walk from the Forum. Worked fine for me. Probs use it again in December if it pans out cheaper than a day in Westfield.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Do you actually meet the person or just do it all online and dump your car there?

yeah it's just on line, you sign up and pay up and you get sent a code that you print off and leave on your dashboard so they know it's you.

I got to wave at the one girl as her kitchen faced on to the parking area and she was doing the dishes!

• Like 1

Weird. I have been in off topic quite a bit in the last year or two but have not even though about coming here for the last few weeks. It's all directly linked to how Villa are doing it seems. I feel like I want to read and write about them again rather than be in off topic distracting myself.  Anyone else like this? 

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Weird. I have been in off topic quite a bit in the last year or two but have not even though about coming here for the last few weeks. It's all directly linked to how Villa are doing it seems. I feel like I want to read and write about them again rather than be in off topic distracting myself.  Anyone else like this? 

Not exactly - I was thinking of posting this in the Piss You Off Thread. Off Topic has been dead and boring for the last couple of weeks. I blame the improvement in Villa's performances. Bastards are ruining OT. 

• Like 1

I went to "an evening with Andy McNab" tonight at Portsmouth Uni.  The guy can talk for England.  He talked about his upbringing, what led to him joining the army and then a long story about the lead up to his role in "Bravo Two Zero", his capture and amongst other things, his time in Northern Ireland and Colombia.  He obviously dodged questions relating to his thoughts on current military capability and instead favoured discussing the care that those leaving the armed forces should be receiving.  I came away hugely impressed. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

On 27/10/2016 at 20:48, trekka said:

I went to "an evening with Andy McNab" tonight at Portsmouth Uni.  The guy can talk for England.  He talked about his upbringing, what led to him joining the army and then a long story about the lead up to his role in "Bravo Two Zero", his capture and amongst other things, his time in Northern Ireland and Colombia.  He obviously dodged questions relating to his thoughts on current military capability and instead favoured discussing the care that those leaving the armed forces should be receiving.  I came away hugely impressed. 

'Bravo Two Zero' by Andy McNabb. Which actually improves with every read. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Seat68 said:

'Bravo Two Zero' by Andy McNabb. Which actually improves with every read. 

Haven't read it for a long time but it was fascinating. His autobiography Immediate Action was amazing, - although I was an impressionable young teen then, so who knows if it's still readable now!

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 13:25, choffer said:

Schlepped all the way over to Excel this morning for a Microsoft event. I only went because Dr Stephen Hawking was the keynote speaker. Arrived to hear he'd cancelled due to ill health. I'm not convinced as he looked alright last night on the telly and he sounded perfectly well on the voice message he sent apologising for not coming.

Maybe he went on the lash last night after the awards thing, and had a hangover? :cheers:;)

Â