General Chat

Stevo985

47 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

There on business or pleasure?

just did a medical centre fit out on the sundorne road, im 31, live in kidderminster and it was the first time in my life id ever been to shrewsbury, still didnt go in to the centre

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

just did a medical centre fit out on the sundorne road, im 31, live in kidderminster and it was the first time in my life id ever been to shrewsbury, still didnt go in to the centre

Ah so you were a bit to the north of the centre then.

Yes, if you do get the chance to visit the town centre, I'd certainly recommend it. It's an interesting place to have a day out in, really good night out as well as it goes.

I should add that I'm flattered you sought my opinion on this no doubt important matter, however I get the sense that @Seat68 is probably a truer "Shropshire lad" than me! :)

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

darren gough probably started his argument as to which one he called it with "its like in cricket...." its not **** cricket though is it you bell end, he's ruined that show, hard to believe that a show with 2 people on it could actually have adrian durham as the better one

I loved Darren Gough as a player, it's such a shame that he's so annoying in real life. 

• Like 1

When i was a kid a teacher used to have on his wall a poster saying the emblem of Shrewsbury is a shrew not a shrow. That stayed with me, i flinch a little every time a train announcement says shrowsbury. Personally for me its shrewsbury, i support the mighty shrews and it will always be shrewsbury but a lot of the older natives call it salop anyway. 

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

When i was a kid a teacher used to have on his wall a poster saying the emblem of Shrewsbury is a shrew not a shrow. That stayed with me, i flinch a little every time a train announcement says shrowsbury. Personally for me its shrewsbury, i support the mighty shrews and it will always be shrewsbury but a lot of the older natives call it salop anyway. 

That's interesting, if I was asked what the emblem of Shrewsbury was I'd say it was the loggerheads, rather than an actual shrew. 

I know I previously said they had a shrew as a club badge for a while, but I had the impression the club's fans and residents generally preferred the three leopards heads (or whatever they may be).

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

That's interesting, if I was asked what the emblem of Shrewsbury was I'd say it was the loggerheads, rather than an actual shrew. 

I know I previously said they had a shrew as a club badge for a while, but I had the impression the club's fans and residents generally preferred the three leopards heads (or whatever they may be).

absolutely. I dont really think there is a right or wrong answer to it.

NUR-NEET-UN

BED-UFF

COV-UN-TREE

INK-LEH

BURM-IN-UM

I stayed in a village called Youlgreave in the Peak District in March. They can't even agree how to spell the place, let alone say it (YUL-GRAVE).

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

it will always be shrewsbury but a lot of the older natives call it salop anyway. 

Ah. That will be why the brewery there is called Salopian then! Those guys/gals do some top beers ....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Isn't Salop the alternative name for Shropshire, rather than Shrewsbury? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jon said:

Ah. That will be why the brewery there is called Salopian then! Those guys/gals do some top beers ....

They do, they produce one of my favourite beers.

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Isn't Salop the alternative name for Shropshire, rather than Shrewsbury? 

It is, without mooneying it, I seem to recall there was a push decades back to rename shropshire salop, I recall as a child writing my address and having salop as my county, you will find a lot of people refer to shrewsbury as salop

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

In Warsaw again! Seems like a monthly thing. Happy though, it's a great city. Can't recommend it enough. 

Definitely a place I want to see. If my mates can ever organise themselves! 

20 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I'd also like to add it's my birthday and I've not touched any anti-Semitic boys.

All the best people have birthdays today ;)

• Like 1

Â