General Chat

AVFCLaura

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As for 'with interest' current accounts, you only get the higher rates if you pay in a large-ish amount each month. My pension is not enough. 

Yeah, sorry I was talking specifically about ISAs, but didn't say so. It was Cov. Building Society that was doing them  - 5 year fixed rates that were about 1% higher then orn'ry ISAs

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Nope. I can (and do) top it up every year. 

As for 'with interest' current accounts, you only get the higher rates if you pay in a large-ish amount each month. My pension is not enough. 

Oh how I now yearn for the 15% interest rates of the mid 80s (when of course I was paying it on my mortgage).

They don't care where it comes from. If you have a couple of accounts, there's nothing to stop you setting up standing orders to send the money back and forth between them. I always make sure there's enough in there for the bills, but I have my salary routed around 3 different accounts to make sure I get interest on all of them.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Please can people stop asking for specific advice in this thread. If people keep asking specific things it'll get locked.

Start a new thread when you have a specific question. The site is unusable when everything is in one thread.

Wasn't as that warm here today, but was about 15 degrees but took me by surprise as I wore my normal coat to work. By the time I walked from the train station to my office carrying all my stuff (laptop bag, paperwork, etc) I was sweating like Gary Glitter in the PC World repair centre, 

i think i got bitten by a snake on sunday whilst out with the dog. i was walking her in a bit of woodland and i felt this strike which was like someone had wacked me with a big stick at the bottom of my leg. got two perfectly lined  puncture marks on my leg about a cm or two between each other, also its really tender and a tiny bit of swelling around the bite marks. walking with a slight limp from it. it could be an adder or grass snake, but id hate to feel a bite from a rattlesnake or something like that because the strike i got was hard enough.

59 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

i think i got bitten by a snake on sunday whilst out with the dog. i was walking her in a bit of woodland and i felt this strike which was like someone had wacked me with a big stick at the bottom of my leg. got two perfectly lined  puncture marks on my leg about a cm or two between each other, also its really tender and a tiny bit of swelling around the bite marks. walking with a slight limp from it. it could be an adder or grass snake, but id hate to feel a bite from a rattlesnake or something like that because the strike i got was hard enough.

Do you have poisonous snakes in Britain?

I'm pretty sure the adder is the only native poisonous snake in the UK.

They're relatively common as a species, venomous but not deadly (or at least spectacularly rarely), quite a few areas around here have signs up warning of their presence.

None in Ireland? 

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm pretty sure the adder is the only native poisonous snake in the UK.

They're relatively common as a species, venomous but not deadly (or at least spectacularly rarely), quite a few areas around here have signs up warning of their presence.

None in Ireland? 

Nope, no snakes in Ireland.  Our ones failed to go over and multiply, since they're only adders.  Boom boom.

48 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Do you have poisonous snakes in Britain?

Pretty much nothing that can kill you in the UK. 

Bulls, horses and cows are about as dangerous as native fauna gets. Or to quote Bill Bailey, 'badger'll give you a nasty nip'. 

This country is almost laughably safe in wildlife terms. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â