General Chat

AVFCLaura

Is California really a good place to go for one week? The travel (ten hour flight minimum?) and time difference (-8hours) would really take it out of you, wouldnt it? You would waste half your time traveling and adjusting your body clock.

Is California really a good place to go for one week? The travel (ten hour flight minimum?) and time difference (-8hours) would really take it out of you, wouldnt it? You would waste half your time traveling and adjusting your body clock.

Florida is only 5 hours behind and a British accent would be more of a novelty there than California.

Florida is only 5 hours behind and a British accent would be more of a novelty there than California.

Really? Florida is very popular holiday destination for Brits these days. Disneyworld/Orlando must be crawling with them. Whereas I know very few people who have been to LA.

Really? Florida is very popular holiday destination for Brits these days. Disneyworld/Orlando must be crawling with them. Whereas I know very few people who have been to LA.

And yet 90 mins north of Orlando is Jacksonville where they hardly ever meet a Brit. Florida is a similar size to England remember. There are a shed load of great places outside of Orlando and Miami.

And yet 90 mins north of Orlando is Jacksonville where they hardly ever meet a Brit. Florida is a similar size to England remember. There are a shed load of great places outside of Orlando and Miami.

Fair point.

My only trip to the U.S. (so far) involved D.C., Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania.

We did get a lot of "Say that again in your cute accent" stuff.

Went there for the weekend not so long ago and I'd do it again if that's all the time I had. Arrived Friday afternoon and left Sunday evening. In that time we managed to:

* Go for a walk along Hollywood Blvd (all the famous Theatres, walk of fame, etc)

* Shopping at Hollywood and Highland

* Griffith Observatory

* Breakfast in Mel's diner

* Hollywood Sign

* Universal Studios

* Concert at Hollywood Bowl (followed by after-party on Sunset)

* Rich & Famous' homes in Hollywood

* Rodeo Drive

* Shopping at 13th St Plaza

* Santa Monica Pier / Beach

* Venice Beach/Muscle Beach

To be fair, we were knackered by the end of it all but we found it pretty easy to blatt through the jetlag. Maybe if we'd been there a few extra days it would have caught up to us but our plan was to not let the tiredness get in the way unless we couldn't bear it. Having said that, I think even if we'd had longer, the above would still have reflected a couple of days worth of stuff. There was lots more we wanted to do but obviously time didn't allow (serves me right for having a gf who teaches and thus can't get away for longer than a weekend during term-time!).

I'd say go for it and save the jet-lag for when you get home. Guess it depends on how it effects you though - I always seem able to get through it but others seem to suffer more with it.

Jet lag - "that way" - is OK, it's coming back that it hits you.

I have done CA for a week a few times and can highly recommend it. Some of the best places I have been to in the states were out of there

Jet lag - "that way" - is OK, it's coming back that it hits you.

True.

When we went, day one in the US involved me being wide awake in the middle of the night. Coming back it involved me falling asleep on the M1 during the day (well, not actually, but it was a challenge).

Thinking of a break for a week from October 11th but trying to work out where will be hot and busy enough at that time...

Dubai ?

you'll either love it or hate it but I've been a couple of times now and fall into the love it camp

short enough flight not to worry about Jet Lag ( though tbh I don't really do jet lag , the advantage of barely sleeping even when at home )

You have to remember nice as America is , it does has the disadvantage of being full of Americans :winkold:

I had a tyre blow out while in the fast lane today on the motorway - speed = fast

Managed to "glide" to the hard shoulder.

Moral of the story - Get good tyres, even when they blow they stay intact.

Moral (2) - Brown underpants are the new in thing

Moral (3) - Don't forget to renew your roadside assistance scheme - it can and does cost to get you off the motorway, especially as your car has no spare wheel

What kind of crappy car doesn't have a spare??? :-)

They give you a container full of gel - what a waste of time that is. Nowhere to keep a spare wheel of that size as the exhaust takes up so much bloody space - stupidly impractical but driving should be fun

As for the car - its

ms-design-ford-focus-st-race.jpg

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â