General Chat

AVFCLaura

That's a fair point, but he's still guilty of seeing a tactic failing for two years and then thinking, "you know what, more of this on an epic scale and we'll break through!"

He should have seen it coming, too. The American civil war was plenty of warning....but that's an unfair accusation to him. The German command at Verdun were equally as shit. They were all slow to adapt.

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Ever since he stole the T-Pain autotune style and deluded himself to think he can actually sing, his music has fallen off of a cliff, it's really bad IMO. Oh and Drake sucks too :) 

But you know, I'm a big time hip-hop snob so I'm going to be very biased. 

Hipster-hopster. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ok

1)Tran Hung Dao - he was about the only general to defeat the Mongolians .. and he did it 3 times

2) Napoleon - yeah pains me to say it but having watched the BBC documentary on him a few months back he has to be in the list

3) Oliver Cromwell - mainly because he accomplished so much for someone with no formal military training ..close-order cavalry formations with discipline and quick reactions in battle

I was thinking of Saladin as well , I went to his tomb once in Damascus and I swear even standing by you kinda get a sense of awe about the person , he accomplished loads on the battle field  and also didn't butcher everyone in sight in an era when it was kinda the done thing

alas that still  that overlooks the obvious in Alexander  the Great , Caesar (the roman not the talking Ape)  plus a few other Romans for that matter and the Mongols as well of course  

You know you're old when:

• You're SO much more interested in the Vietnamese generals discussion than the hip hop one. Tran Hung Dao is a great shout.

Speaking of defeating the Mongols, maybe a shout-out for Baron von Ungern-Sternberg? Not one of the greatest generals, but surely one of the most interesting:

'Roman von Ungern-Sternberg was a Baltic German who fought on the Russian side in World War One, later transferring his homicidal skills to the White Russian armies. At length, he led a detachment of guerilla cavalry, raiding to and fro across Siberia; looting here, torturing there, killing his foes and frightening his friends. Already a fanatical Tsarist and anti-semite, Ungern-Stalberg also came to absorb some of the locally available mysticism. At length, he…

...was struck with a revelation. He later compared this blast of insight with satori, the enlightenment experienced by Buddha. This noble divulgence was as follows: by slaying people he was doing them a favour. If they were unable to protect themselves, it meant they were feeble and living under poor Karma. By dying in a state of innocence, they improved their position on the rungs of the cosmos.

The answer was simple---he would ride into Mongolia, destroy the Chinese administration and set up a personal kingdom. Then he would forge a Pan-Asiatic empire, including Manchuria and Tibet. He managed to enlist over three hundred devotees, he baptised them in vodka and hashish and gave them a name : the Order of Military Buddhists. The Order of Military Buddhists dazedly entered Mongolia in 1920, partly chased out of Russia by the Bolsheviks.

In February 1921, they reached Urga [now Ulanbataar]. Mongolian winters are incredibly severe: temperatures of minus 40 are not uncommon. Unable to launch his attack without astrological guidance, Ungern-Sternberg set up camp outside the gates, awaiting a benificial alignment of the stars. Eager to taste the heated delights of the city, his soldiers whiled away the hours by debating the virtues of necrophilia.'

more at the link - http://bloodandtreasure.typepad.com/blood_treasure/2006/01/the_mad_baron_o.html

• Like 2

Just learned one of my recent former students has taken his own life. Gutted to hear. Absolutely brilliant young math whiz became an IT security boffin. Ridiculously successful. Always joking around, with a wide-ranging mind and big heart. Evidently, he struggled with bipolar disorder. Poor kid.

Just learned one of my recent former students has taken his own life. Gutted to hear. Absolutely brilliant young math whiz became an IT security boffin. Ridiculously successful. Always joking around, with a wide-ranging mind and big heart. Evidently, he struggled with bipolar disorder. Poor kid.

Seems cruel, doesn't it?

I have absolutely no facts to back this up, so I'll pose it as a question. Do more American kids, let's say under 21s, commit suicide than other countries in the world?

To me, there seems a real heavy pressure state-side to become 'someone'. In movies younger generations seem more more segregated, split up and dare I say isolated.

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Seems cruel, doesn't it?

I have absolutely no facts to back this up, so I'll pose it as a question. Do more American kids, let's say under 21s, commit suicide than other countries in the world?

To me, there seems a real heavy pressure state-side to become 'someone'. In movies younger generations seem more more segregated, split up and dare I say isolated.

I don't know, Lapal, tbh. I seem to remember that the highest overall rates are in Lithuania and Russia (or somewhere in that area?), although I don't know how it breaks down age-wise. 

It can be cruel here, that is for sure, and there is really easy access to firearms. I don't know if a gun was used in this case, but their widespread availability makes it exceptionally easy to do yourself in.

No one question you're right about the isolation factor. From what I've observed, social media and massive multiplayer gaming have led to soaring numbers of depressed young people. There's a false sense of interaction in them. It's different on forums like this, where people actually get to know each other and sometimes meet in real life. But in the gaming world, it seems like a lot of people unlearn how to connect with others. It's just more brutal. Young people don't even know how to look you in the eye. OK, enough of my soapbox.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Rap/Hip Hop is like most music in that most of the genre totally sucks. But amongst the garbage, there are exquisite gems. I caught the fever early, back in 1984, with UTFO's "Roxanne, Roxanne". I was 13. I graduated to Boogie Down Productions, Public Enemy, Jungle Brothers, De La Soul Tribe, Black Sheep, Gangstarr, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, and then around 1995, when things got all stupid and violent and East Coast/West Coast, I dropped out. Until Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, and Rawkus came out, then I was interested again. Now I'm mostly into what Stones Throw put out (Madlib, etc.) I prefer soulful instrumentals. Just can't get into Kendrick Lamar. 

A lot of hip hop makes no sense to people who dont understand the slang and other genre specific references. Might as well be Greek. A lot of these dudes have had worthwhile sh*t to say, and if they made it hard and funky, all the better. Sadly, most commercial rap music it absolute rubbish.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Rap/Hip Hop is like most music in that most of the genre totally sucks. But amongst the garbage, there are exquisite gems. I caught the fever early, back in 1984, with UTFO's "Roxanne, Roxanne". I was 13. I graduated to Boogie Down Productions, Public Enemy, Jungle Brothers, De La Soul Tribe, Black Sheep, Gangstarr, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, and then around 1995, when things got all stupid and violent and East Coast/West Coast, I dropped out. Until Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, and Rawkus came out, then I was interested again. Now I'm mostly into what Stones Throw put out (Madlib, etc.) I prefer soulful instrumentals. Just can't get into Kendrick Lamar. 

A lot of hip hop makes no sense to people who dont understand the slang and other genre specific references. Might as well be Greek. A lot of these dudes have had worthwhile sh*t to say, and if they made it hard and funky, all the better. Sadly, most commercial rap music it absolute rubbish.

grow your hair long and go back to metal dude.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Gang Starr is where it's at. Can never get tired of Moment of Truth. Honestly I can't understand how you can listen to the title track of that album and say it's rubbish.

• Like 1

roxanne roxanne, that takes me back, used to love that. Roxanne shante, the real roxanne. One lesser known track from that era not a rap tune but an electro tune was the fantastic shake it up by barone, loved it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

Sturgeon's law - '90% of everything is crap'

40 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

What to get for a 3rd anniversary.

It's leather.

No sexy pants.

Leather flowers are boring. So is a leather jewelry box, so are leather clothes, leather belts etc.

What have you lot done for it?

Gimp mask?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I usually threaten to go as a naturist, then they back down. 

:crylaugh:maybe i should go as adam that might work!

I brought this wolverine outfit, but then its come and i didnt realise its a morphsuit great! Bloody going toilet in that things going to be nightmare

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What does everyone think of fancy dress parties? i have one tomorrow night grrrrrrrrrrrr

absolutely hate them

that said last time i did one i went as bjorn borg and actually quiet enjoyed it

1454756_10152558203287334_709779664_n.jp

the fila headband / wrist bands were an ebay special and turned up the monday morning after

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â