General Chat

AVFCLaura

Bed calls!

Typical student!

Ah, not true, no more. :D

Don't worry, I'll do your drinking for you tonight!

I'm celebrating completing various bits of DIY (normally well beyond my purview) and a bloody successful hitchhike back from Fareham on Monday. It's not a degree but it's worth a drink or two. :P

bloody successful hitchhike back from Fareham on Monday. It's not a degree but it's worth a drink or two. :P

Hitchhike?

There's a blast from the past.

Fair play, how many lifts you get?

:)

bloody successful hitchhike back from Fareham on Monday. It's not a degree but it's worth a drink or two. :P

Hitchhike?

There's a blast from the past.

Fair play, how many lifts you get?

:)

Three.

J8 M27 (Fareham -ish) to J17 M4 (south of Malmesbury)

J17 M4 to Fosse Way/A417 interchange north of Cirencester.

From there to Cheltenham train station and then a train back to Worcester (sky was looking v.v.dark and that's a shit of a hitch in my experience).

Cost me £6.90 as opposed to about £45 for a train back all the way.

First time I've hitched in about 4 years, though. I used to do it all the time (and I mean all the time - to and fro' work; back from nights out; to Malaga; through France on a number of occasions). Some great fun had; some extreme generosity received (ferry fares paid, meals bought, &c.) and only two dodgy lifts amongst the hundreds taken.

Ah I see, hadn't made the joke connection!

What do you mean what's the point of goalkeepers? The clue's in the name ;)

Yeah but what differs them from the ordinary player? They can both use their hands.

Oh and congratulations Chindie.

Well done Chindie. I'm off to Northumbria Uni tomorrow for No 2 sons graduation to receive his 2:1 Honours in Business Studies Finance...

so good job all round. (apart from having to be in the same room with my ex...( shades of Raoul Moat mk 11 I kid you not!!!)

Anyhow good deed for the day done...

rescued a Jack Russell tearing towards the car earlier this evening on the A685!! Couldn't beleive a little dog was in the middle of the carriageway. She would have got run over so I had to stop. Fortunately I turned round, slowed all the traffic down & she leapt in the car when I opened the door. Absolutely petrified of the thunder & lightning she was. Poor little thing.

Got some dog food on way home, dried her off & she's been as happy as anything. Took her for a walk as well! Just the loveliest natured dog, you'd of thought she'd moved in!! Rang police & they were really helpful.

iphonepics021.jpg

Anyhow Bella's very grateful owner has just picked her up & insisted on giving me £20 for my trouble. She was out rabbiting & took off at the first clap of thunder apparently! Bit sad she's gone now!

First time I've hitched in about 4 years, though. I used to do it all the time (and I mean all the time - to and fro' work; back from nights out; to Malaga; through France on a number of occasions). Some great fun had; some extreme generosity received (ferry fares paid, meals bought, &c.) and only two dodgy lifts amongst the hundreds taken.

what sort of people pick you up Snowy?

Gotta admit i've never done it, and probably never will now. Probably instilled in me by my parents that it wasn't safe etc.

Do you find in this day and age that it's a dying activity, hitching. Or rather, less people stop to pick you up?

I've never really considered stopping to give someone a lift that is hitching TBH, even if they are on my root. Not sure why. Maybe i'm just anti-social/too careful.

what sort of people pick you up Snowy?

Gotta admit i've never done it, and probably never will now. Probably instilled in me by my parents that it wasn't safe etc.

Do you find in this day and age that it's a dying activity, hitching. Or rather, less people stop to pick you up?

I've never really considered stopping to give someone a lift that is hitching TBH, even if they are on my root. Not sure why. Maybe i'm just anti-social/too careful.

All sorts, mate.

Quite often it's those who drive around for a living (sales reps and the like) who might like to have someone to chat to but I've also had lifts from elderly women/couples, a woman on her own (in France in order to practice her English - I was holding a GB sign), some truck drivers (but that's only really the case on the continent) and, possibly surprisingly, lots of people in very posh cars, too.

It seems as though it really has died a death. The only other person I saw on my journey was someone hitching with trade plates. Quite importantly, new roads and new junctions really don't cater for people hitching (not enough of space to pull over and vehicles are going through the junction too quickly).

As far as those stopping to pick you up, perhaps fewer do but my first lift took an hour, my second about ten minutes and my third (in a very bad place) took another hour. That was pretty normal (though sometimes in the old days one might get a number of lifts within minutes of being dropped off).

The whole 'danger' thing is obviously blown out of proportion but I accept that some people don't want to or won't offer a lift, that's fair enough. I have occasionally had abuse thrown at me but that's because some people (regardless of whether they are driving cars) are complete arseholes. I tend to comfort myself in thinking that they're probably the same morons who'll run out of petrol one night and have to trudge to some garage half a dozen miles away. :twisted:

I must say, I quite enjoy doing it (over and above its practical - cost - benefit). One gets to meet some interesting people and one obviously has to, on the whole, converse throughout the journey so it's a bit different to a journey by public transport where everyone lives in their own world. And it gives a few 'stories' to tell, too.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â