General Chat

AVFCLaura

I worked on the test beds for the GE90 engines - like a James Bond set on the inside, just a vast white space with some robots in it.

It was next to the Concorde Engine test bed, which was like something out of Flash Gordon, right down to the art deco style chrome levers and bakelite nobs n dials.

Just wanted to mention that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Crossing the Atlantic on four engines seems more sensible. One fails, you've got three left. Another one fails, still two.

With two, however...

Modern jets can still fly (and take off and land) on one engine, I believe. 

• Like 1

Crossing the Atlantic on four engines seems more sensible. One fails, you've got three left. Another one fails, still two.

With two, however...

They can also glide for up to 200 miles with no engines if they conk out whilst cruising.

Villatalk doesn't update for me unless I sign in. By which I mean if I refresh the page after a while, the last posts are all as they were, although I know new posts have been added by looking at the activity section, as I say it works as normal if I'm signed in. (I've read the top of the page)

8 hours ago, darrenm said:

Will probably go on my first and last 747 when flying Virgin from Manchester to Orlando in the summer. How do they compare to smaller planes? Are Virgin any good?

Anyone been on a dreamliner? I'd like to sample one of those.

I have. They were ok.

I preferred the A380, but that coul dbe as much to do with the airline as the plane.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I have. They were ok.

I preferred the A380, but that coul dbe as much to do with the airline as the plane.

I remember the days when you didn't know what an a-380 was 

Villatalk the education tool of choice :)

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I remember the days when you didn't know what an a-380 was 

Villatalk the education tool of choice :)

I still don't know much about planes. I don't think many people do apart from those who fly very regularly.

It just so happens that my last two long flights were a A-380 and a Dreamliner, which I'm led to believe are comparable.

6 hours ago, Xela said:

Yes and no on the take off ... Assuming a 777 ( 2 engines to those that don't know ) If one engine failed before V1 (v1 is the point at which you can't abort take off )then you would simple abort take off ....

If it failed after v1 then you would need a lot more runway in order to get the required power into your remaining good engine and as soon as you add the additional power to your one remaining engine you are likely to travel sideways off the runway , unless your pilot is shit hot and can balance it with lots of rudder

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I still don't know much about planes. I don't think many people do apart from those who fly very regularly.

It just so happens that my last two long flights were a A-380 and a Dreamliner, which I'm led to believe are comparable.

Not really ... The only area people could possibly compare is that they are both realitivley new planes in the world of aviation but that's about it

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Not really ... The only area people could possibly compare is that they are both realitivley new planes in the world of aviation but that's about it

Fair enough. I thought they were the flagship planes of Boeing and Airbus, i.e. competitors. 

Shows how much I don't know about planes :D

• Like 1

Somebody asked me what plane I'd flown on last time I had a trip out. It was admittedly deliberate, but I said 'a white one'.

In reality, I did know it was probably either a Boeing or an Airbus and definitely wasn't a 747 or a Tupolev Tu-95.

54 minutes ago, useless said:

Villatalk doesn't update for me unless I sign in. By which I mean if I refresh the page after a while, the last posts are all as they were, although I know new posts have been added by looking at the activity section, as I say it works as normal if I'm signed in. (I've read the top of the page)

This is by design. If you want an explanation, ask in the correct forum.

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I blame my dad for dragging me around air shows when i was a kid 

but yeah I can see why in the main people don't care what plane they travel on ...

I went to an airshow once with my mate and his dad.

Hands down one of the most boring days of my life.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I went to an airshow once with my mate and his dad.

Hands down one of the most boring days of my life.

different strokes and all that but everyone loves the red arrows don't they ? Or failing that everyone loves a spitfire or the Vulcan bomber ... I was lucky enough to see the blackbird fly at Greenham common once , seriously that's one of those things you don't forget  or seeing the space shuttle fly in piggy backed on the back of a 747

But your post does have me thinking though , what would get my vote for most boring day of my life ... Daft as it sounds .I can't actually think of one , yeah I've been bored loads of times but bored beyond belief is a tougie 

Most boring day of my life? Wellend steam rally 2009.

i hadn't long met my missus and she went with her parents every year, I wasn't entirely sure what it was, but if it had a beer tent I'd be fine.

nope, after 3 hours of looking at tractor engines I made an excuse to go to a shop, brought 8 cans and got pissed in her parents caravan. 

Most Boring Day Of My Life might even warrant its own thread. Me? Like Tony, nothing springs to mind. Several boring events (childhood visits to elderly relatives, maths lessons, work meetings, shopping for clothes with the missus...) - but they were usually over in much less than a day. I'll have to think about it.

When I was a kid RAF St Athan still used to have their air day. 

I was out by chance on the day of the air show, a few miles down the road mooching around with my mates looking for mischief. We found ourselves out on a headland where all the planes were using it as a turning point. So they were really really low down close to the water, close to this headland, and going pretty much as slow as they could without falling out of the sky, ready to do their fly by of St Athan a couple of miles up the coast.

One after the other, all day, Concorde, Vulcan, Phantom, anything and everything. Low enough to see the individual panel lines. Absolutely filmic.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â