General Chat

AVFCLaura

Declan kidney Is going to give joe sheridan up to ireland rugby team after that try for meath

The incident is worthy of it's own thread.

Was a thread created for this? Delighted the lads didn't give them a replay. Would have set a bad precedent.

C'mon the Royals! :P

At the risk of being objective again (it is a heavy burden). There is no way Meath should be forced to do the 'right thing'. They should not be backed into a corner and made to make a decision that should only be made by the association. This was a GAA and an officiating **** up. Meath are the easy scapegoats here and now that they have not agreed to a replay they are being made out to be the bad guys. It's incredible. It's identical to the France furore. Yes the player cheated, but the problem was with the officials and the association - firstly for not seeing the infringement and secondly for actually not having any rule in place that allows the GAA to act in any kind of authority.

But having said that. It's bog ball and is about as important as the shade of green on what I pull from my nose.

I completely agree. The GAA have failed again in their officiating of such occurences. It has happened in the past in such instances and they have still not agreed to take responsibility for the actions of the referee on the pitch. Saying that, it would be hard for them to do so as to take the control of the game out of the referees hand would be killing the whole human aspect of the game, in a similiar way to that of the video ref in football.

Its strange though as they also seem fit to give out red cards after the fact to players who commit fouls during games.... Bit of a contradiction there!

The umpires were the ones who didn't have the stones to tell the referee that it wasn't a legitimate goal although the ref should have consulted them before allowing it.

It was the ref who didnt have the stones to ask the opinion of the linesmen. He had made his decision and subsequently went in to tell the umpire to put up his flag. He had the goal marked in his notebook before he even went in to them!

So is the goal controversial because he basically carried the ball into the goal rather than kicking or hitting it with his hand? (I know some of the rules but far from all)

And what does this have to do with Declan Kidney and Rugby?

Yes you hit the nail on the head. You can't carry the ball over the line or play it directly from your own hand into the net. It shouldn't have been a goal and the fact that it was the last kick of the game to win it for Meath caused all the controversy.

The Declan Kidney and Rugby piece is just a joke that's been flying round here for the last few days - He grounded the ball and got over the line so it should have been a try etc.....

The goal was scored illegally. And it denied Louth their first Leinster title in 50 years. Done by a county that regularly win the Leinster title. So it was big bad Meath cheating plucky little Louth in a final. And the GAA (much like FIFA funnily enough) don't have a facility in their rules to deal with it satisfactorily, so it was left up to Meath to volunteer a replay when they were perfectly entitled not to and shouldn't be put in that position by the governing body in the first place.

Thank you. I'm sorta glad that that chapter of life is closed now, formally.

Busy day, I'm absolutely shattered, lots of travellign and running around on top of an early morning after little sleep. Looked even more stupid than most others because I forgot to get my haircut, the mortarboard was having none of it and made the hair even worse.

But I'm glad it's done and glad to have acknowledgment of the achievement, even if it was all in Welsh and punctuated by a 15minute flute and harp performance :lol:

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â