General Chat

AVFCLaura

Chef friend of mine who I went to college with and work with for a bit was found in bed dead of a massive heart attack at 36 ....spoke to him two days before said he cant wait for a few days off from work as its been non stop .....goes to show the stress that the body must be under day in and day out 

Sorry to hear that mate.

Was he generally healthy otherwise?

He was a typical chef, smoked a lot, drank a lot, caffeine a lot but he went on to be head chef of some of the largest hotels in the city always focused on making the margin to the extent of getting worked up on it (genuinely stressed), the pressure to hit unreasonable targets to get a bonus would suggest he had money worries (some of which I knew of), then work led to his relationship breaking down and not ending at all well, so add on to that debt a house in negative equity, I had a coffee with him last week and he seemed happy with life like things were on the up (selling the house that was now at break even) he was looking forward to having 2 days off together and enjoy the weekend as he was working non stop  (something that can be extremely rare in the catering world), today has been just a daze remembering the first time we met at college, the time we took over a golf course restaurant for the summer & I had a blazing row with the general manager followed by him coming out with a coffee laughing his arse off, working a nixer in a famous enough eatery (not great just well known) browns barn and it just been an absolute mess but been able to have the craic after, going to miss those text of hows villa doing when were losing ... .......ah man ..I dunno if I can handle going round the house tomorrow ..fack

• Like 1

Chef friend of mine who I went to college with and work with for a bit was found in bed dead of a massive heart attack at 36 ....spoke to him two days before said he cant wait for a few days off from work as its been non stop .....goes to show the stress that the body must be under day in and day out 

Sorry to hear that mate.

Was he generally healthy otherwise?

He was a typical chef, smoked a lot, drank a lot, caffeine a lot but he went on to be head chef of some of the largest hotels in the city always focused on making the margin to the extent of getting worked up on it (genuinely stressed), the pressure to hit unreasonable targets to get a bonus would suggest he had money worries (some of which I knew of), then work led to his relationship breaking down and not ending at all well, so add on to that debt a house in negative equity, I had a coffee with him last week and he seemed happy with life like things were on the up (selling the house that was now at break even) he was looking forward to having 2 days off together and enjoy the weekend as he was working non stop  (something that can be extremely rare in the catering world), today has been just a daze remembering the first time we met at college, the time we took over a golf course restaurant for the summer & I had a blazing row with the general manager followed by him coming out with a coffee laughing his arse off, working a nixer in a famous enough eatery (not great just well known) browns barn and it just been an absolute mess but been able to have the craic after, going to miss those text of hows villa doing when were losing ... .......ah man ..I dunno if I can handle going round the house tomorrow ..fack

To answer your question no he wasn't in the best of shape but I wouldn't class him as extremely large ...a big guy 

My 6 years in Istanbul is up. Had enough. Moving to Sofia, Bulgaria next week.

be interesting what you make of it  ... of the two cities Istanbul blows Sofia out the water  ..... but that's from a tourist perspective rather than having to live and work there

Good luck  ....

Bored to tears. Tried to organise a beer with a various people but they're all busy with family stuff, kids, etc (fair enough)

I need to find some younger mates with no commitments! 

Or get married. :P

Not that desperate for company! 

I jest, I'm sure marriage is sometimes ok! 

My 6 years in Istanbul is up. Had enough. Moving to Sofia, Bulgaria next week.

Good luck

Why you had enough? Why Sofia? [/nosey bastard]

Day off work, couple of jobs to do this morning out and about... 5 mins of driving and car blows up. Smoke billowing from the engine, temperature gauge at maximum and me standing at the side of the road like a clueless idiot staring into the engine bay :(

Scariest moment of my life today, at work around 1pm I bent over to pick up my trowel and pretty much collapsed, pain in my left hand, lying on the floor all I could think about was this is it, I'm having a stroke or heart attack, and kept thinking about my daughter. Got taken to the hospital, ECG came back normal, bloods normal, chest x ray normal, after a few hours of tests doctor asked me about my work, stress,when I last had time off, diagnosed exhaustion, not enough sleep and working too much made my blood pressure drop and that's why I went all tommy cooper. Scared the **** life out of me.

Glad you're OK mate. Had a very similar episode about 5 years ago and it's bloody scary.

As Pompey says, take it as a sign and try and take it a bit easier (appreciate that it's easier said than done sometimes)

yep, luckily i only have 3 mayby 4 weeks work left until i go to Vegas and get married and then I'm not working till January so I've got time off soon.

I honestly thought I was turning my toes up, a real eye opener.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â