General Chat

AVFCLaura

With clothing, I always go by the rule, if it can be posted on VT, it should be fine for your nan's funeral or doing dentistry on the pope.

I'd be perfectly happy for her to pull out my molar, or give me a filling.

18 was a big deal for me in a sort of weird way.

I'd been drinking at a local nightspot called Fantasia for a couple of years (obviously known locally as 'the fanny'). Turning 18 actually meant I could legitimately go in there, it also meant I was probably above average age in there.

So I was a bit sad that at 18 I was probably going to have to reassess whether or not I wanted to be seen in the Fanny any more where I'd had so much fun for 2 years.

Anyway, yay! Happy Birthday Rodders.

Will this be a proper City Road Mexican, with a knife fight and a trip to pleasureline afterwards, or some posh job in the centre of town?

It's Daquiris on Salisbury Road - bang in studentsville but it's actually a very tidy place - good quality food and drink. Good time to with none of the pesky students around. 

Then it's a toss up between an afro-carribean discoteque at gwdihu or womanby street. Think I may have to take the disco route. 

Need to find somewhere to have my 30th.

Anyone know any decent bars in brum with private areas to hire?

Looked at a couple so far: The Vaults, The Sun on the Hill and Chameleon, with the Sun on the Hill probably being the leader so far

Gwdihw is good, saw a band or three there last year during the erm, music festival thing... Swn?

Don't know Daquiris, so I'll have to investigate that.

Womanby Street is the best! I used to work on Womanby Street with my window open to listen to the constant smashing of glass during the daily bottle recycling runs by the council. Had a constant battle with the traffic wardens that were confused by me reversing up a one way street every morning to get to our car park. Confused the hell out of them, they kept telling me it was one way, I kept asking if its illegal to reverse on a one way street.

City Arms on the corner is one of the best pints in town, plus from my office we could send a runner across to order beer and then jog across once it was poured. Finish 'lunch' at 1:59pm and be back in the office at 2. Happy days.

• Like 1

Reminds me of when I worked on Hepworths' loading bay in Leeds. We had half an hour for lunch - raced to The Coburg and downed three pints. Unfortunately, as the fastest runner I tended to get nominated to sprint back with the clocking-in cards.

ha!

We didn't have clocking in cards, we had Christine who is / was a one woman HR / payroll / enforcer / admin department.

Sackings were always a thing of routine, the Directors wouldn't have the balls for it so it would always follow the same pattern. The afternoon would come and you'd notice there were no Directors. Then 'x's phone would ring and Christine would ask him to pop upstairs. Upstairs was a walk of a few short minutes. One minute after the first call, Christine would call down again to a neighbouring desk and ask if 'x' had a coat or personal items on their desk. If the answer was yes, she'd ask for them to be popped down to reception and put in a box that was already out on the end of the desk closest the door....

• Like 1

You're at a tricky age in your 30s where you're too old to go up town without looking like a feckless idiot. Everyone is either early 20s and having a great time or in their 40s and freshly divorced. It's like the 30 club are on lockdown

I was at my happiest between 28 and 33. Five golden years - multiple holidays (managed 10 in an 18 month spell), fair share of tidy clunge and and a big increase in salary which funded the lifestyle.

Now I have a mortgage which is 4 times bigger than what my parents ever borrowed on their place in Sutton and I now feel trapped in a work/bills never ending cycle. 

The thing with the playstation as I've got older is I've still got the time I just can't be bothered, I'll have a session every now and then but I'd say TV has got so much better I spend more time just watching, that and taking the iPad for 35 minute long shits whilst reading football forums...

just saw a video of leeds fans fighting with frankfurt fans in austria at what looks like a sunday league type ground and who do i see running about fighting? a lad i grew up with and went to school with haha. used to be best mates but drifted apart, the fat dirty leeds clearing in the woods.

In fairness to Leeds fans the police said it was started by Frankfurt fans and all the Leeds fans did was 'make a stand' which you would do when you're a long way from home.

Wouldn't fancy being a Leeds fan in Europe, given the reputation that precedes them and the attention they attract.

I have 2 hours left of work before I break up for 2 weeks.

Now, I have no work to do and I don't want to be given any either because I'll either be stuck thinking about that piece of work for 2 weeks or I'll have to work hard and rush it before I leave.

Commence looking busy by frowning and scratching my head with a piece of paper in front of my face.

• Like 2

I'm in the lucky position where on a dull day in the office I can simply pick up my phone and shout into it:

"what's that? you need a survey done and you need it now? well that's darned inconvenient ..... ok ok, I'll do it, I'm leaving now"

ha ha ha, of course, ha ha ha, there's nobody on the other end!

I'm home now.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â