General Chat

AVFCLaura

Went to see Derren Brown last night in Brum. Mind blowing stuff, would love to know how he does what he does. Some of it just seems completely impossible. I really hope he doesn't use stooges.

• Like 2

Went to see Derren Brown last night in Brum. Mind blowing stuff, would love to know how he does what he does. Some of it just seems completely impossible. I really hope he doesn't use stooges.

From what I've seen of his live shows (only on the telly) the way he chooses people out of the audience makes it virtually impossible for him to use stooges doesn't it?

• Like 1

From what I've seen of his live shows (only on the telly) the way he chooses people out of the audience makes it virtually impossible for him to use stooges doesn't it?

Obviously an audience full of stooges then.... :detect:

Actually I really like how Derren Brown openly admits he's tricking people, and doesn't claim to have psychic powers. I love the stuff where he attacks the people who do, too.  

• Like 2

Yeah he throws a frisbee into the crowd to pick people. So unless he's incredibly good with a frisbee, I can't imagine it's stooges.

Part of the live show last night was on faith healing, and he was healing people in the crowd with the power of Christ, obviously being very ironic about it but it did work on people!  

Edited by PieFacE

Derren has previously written guide books that explain in detail exactly how to do the things he does. Unfortunately they're almost impossible to get hold of, originally only sold to people in the magician trade.

Generally I believe it is just exceptionally well done suggestion techniques in his stage shows, but in some of his other work I believe he used more other techniques, including stooges. I remember one of his first TV shows had a trick where he met someone at a racetrack and claimed he could use positive suggestion to make the bookie pay out on a losing slip. He went up to the bookie with a losing slip and put it into her hand and said 'This is the winner'. She ran it through the machine and it paid out. With that kind of thing there HAS to be collusion or some more straight forward magic techniques (sleight of hand etc) going on, as he basically would have had to fool the machine for that to be more of a truck of the mind (obviously not possible). And there was of course his lottery prediction which not only was an obvious trick, he also tried to hide the trick with a nonsense wisdom of crowds explanation.

I think that side of his work has a reductive effect on his other much more interesting stuff. I think I recall thinking his last special (the zombie survival one, possibly?) stretched my disbelief to breaking point.

I read his book "tricks of the mind" where he tells you how to master the memory techniques (so you can remember the exact order of a deck of cards etc) and he has already said the rest of the act is just using the power of suggestion.

You leave her alone Mike!

I'd crawl over tcp soaked glass to lick the sweat off her crack on a hot sunny day.

Id never let her talk though, I want to keep the illusion going.

Edited by Ingram85

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â