General Chat

AVFCLaura

How does bail work?

I admit I don't fully understand it.

I read a story just now about an american teacher (female) who has been caught having sex with pupils.

Her bail is set at $500k

How does that work? If she pays $500k does she just walk free?

Doesn't this mean a rich person could just do whatever they wanted and pay bail every time?

I'm fully aware this might be a stupid post

How does bail work?

I read a story just now about an american teacher (female) who has been caught having sex with pupils.

Her bail is set at $500k

Doesn't this mean a rich person could just do whatever they wanted and pay bail every time?

There would be certain conditions depending on the crime, not leaving the country (or state in the US) for example. But basically yes, they get to leave until their trial.

How does bail work?

Her bail is set at $500k

Bail is pre trial, so you dont sit in jail before you are deemed guilty/ not guilty? right?

• Like 1

Ive from time to time considered volunteering at an old folks home, just to sit and chat with someone, and remind them that the younger world still values them. I think the east Asians and Native Americans do a better job of honoring their elderly, although I hear thats changing somewhat now. I think of all the old people in Boston who were regular customers of the old nightclub district here, and the stories they could tell about it before it was razed. I regret not picking my granparents memories before they died.

My nan was in a home for many years and we used to go visit her every Sunday .... Hers was a dementia home and I always came away thinking the kindest thing I could do was place a pillow over everyone's nose whilst they slept ...

Of course I couldn't and wouldn't actually go through it but there has to come a point in which living is pointless , the last 3 years I visited her she had no idea who I was and the quality of life was clearly gone , just sitting /laying there staring off into space with the occasional screech or something ...

I'm just hoping that all those years at least in my nans head she was on a tropical beach drinking non stop pimms whilst being served crisps by a monkey butler

But to go back to your point , I'm just not sure I could do it , Its bad enough visiting your own old people without having to go through it with someone else's ( yeah I'm bad sorry )

Yeah, I was thinking old people who are in care homes but still are mentally sound. No sense talking to someone who grunts back at you. Unless you're giving a Small Heath fan instruction on why he shouldn't throw his own poo.

Correct.

So let's say Daz from the main forum goes to the villa and murders everyone in the stadium, like all 42,500 spectators, all 1500 police and he even manages to hunt down Randy Lerner.

He gets caught by a police horse, just 2 days before his retirement too.. :(

He'd obviously be charged for mass murder, but his trial starts in 6 months time. 

In the U.S of American A, he would have a bail amount set, so he can leave his prison cell from that point, until his trial starts in 6 months time.

Let's say his bail was set at Tree-fiddy, he'd pay the court his tree-fiddy and leave, but he wouldn't be able to leave the country or probably leave the state, he might get tagged or something, but people would know if he was being a baddie again and he'd get his ass whooped by the judge dredd guy.

So let this be a lesson, Mr STEVEN, never, EVER BE A DAMN BADDIE! OK? good.. B)

Ah ok.

So it's like a deposit?

You give the court £100 grand, they say

"Right daz, you can go home until your trial. But if you don't come back for the trial, we keep your bail money. If you do turn up, you get it all back"

That's how it works?
So it's basically a guarantee that you'll come to your trial, but ultimately you get the money back?

I always thought you just got off with it. Murder. £500k bail. You pay that and you walk away free.

I knew that couldn't be right!

Edited by Stevo985

How about the fact that if someone can afford to hire a good lawyer, they can get you off.  How is that a fair system?

Shouldn't everyone in court be on an equal footing?

No bcuz poor ppl are scum lol.

lol wainy is scum.

Ah ok.

So it's like a deposit?

"Right daz, you can go home until your trial. But if you don't come back for the trial, we keep your bail money. If you do turn up, you get it all back"

That's how it works?

So it's basically a guarantee that you'll come to your trial, but ultimately you get the money back?

I always thought you just got off with it. Murder. £500k bail. You pay that and you walk away free.

I that was how it worked, I'd be machine gunning my way down a long list right now

I could be wrong but I don't think they get the money back.

Actually it looks like you do get it back.

Nah looked it up now.

if they didn't get it back it would defeat the purpose as it's to make sure they turn up to court.

Ah ok.

So it's like a deposit?

That's how it works?

A lot of the more serious crimes you wouldn't be eligible for bail anyway, they would just remand you in custody.  If you've been witnessed by a lot of people stabbing someone for example, but you deny it, you are entitled to a trial but they may deem you a danger to the public and deny bail. They could do the same if you have a long criminal record.

Less serious crimes (subjectively speaking) and you can remain in public subject to certain stipulations (passport handed in, report daily/weekly to the police station, tagged, under curfew, etc). Say for instance you drink drive and run someone over. You're remorseful the next day but you're in the shit. You've caused the death of someone. You're not a danger to the public and you would get bail, as the trial may be months away. 

Not sure what the average bail levels are in the UK? It only seems the USA where its fantastically high amounts. The bail (deposit) is returned when you turn up to every day of your trial, irrelevant of whether you are found guilty or not

I think that is how it works! 

Ah ok.

So it's like a deposit?

That's how it works?

I thinks  some countries ( Japan  lots of Islamic states being examples ) you also do the time but pay blood money to the victims family in exchange for them not going all out vendetta against you and your next of kin

the British girl that got killed in the bathtub accepted £450,000 from the her killer  as a recent example .... bit of a strange one that if you ask me  , but I guess it helps ease the suffering  :unsure:

Have you seen 'Midnight Run'?

If not, it's worth a watch.

charles grodin says a sequel is in the works, believe it or not. great, overlooked film, not sure how a sequel would work, the script left little wiggle room

• Like 1

anyone had this before, im part exchanging my car on the 1st, tax runs out on the 28th, ive got no intention of doing the tax, even 6 months is something like £98

is the best way of doing this taking the car to the dealer on 28th and then declaring it off road or declaring it off the road and taking it on the 1st with no tax or do nothing and take it on the 1st?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â