General Chat

AVFCLaura

I got the impression some people thought the Doctor was there for social chit chat and general sounding board \ agony aunt  !!

This is the fate of many that work with the public.

There's lots of lonely old folk out there.

• Like 2

Ive from time to time considered volunteering at an old folks home, just to sit and chat with someone, and remind them that the younger world still values them. I think the east Asians and Native Americans do a better job of honoring their elderly, although I hear thats changing somewhat now. I think of all the old people in Boston who were regular customers of the old nightclub district here, and the stories they could tell about it before it was razed. I regret not picking my granparents memories before they died.

• Like 3

Fantastic Darwin Awards candidate on our local news the other day.

This woman, married, mother of two, suffered an allergic reaction to a hair dye - fitting followed by coma and death within hours.

Tragic, you may say. Until you discover that she had been to her GP at least twenty times complaining that the stuff was making her feel ill.

FFS.

Edited by mjmooney

A couple of my friends are part time doctors (by part time I mean they've elected to do reduced hours as a life style choice, not that they're happy amateurs or anything). As sad as it is to report this, they both say that a day in a GP surgery can be a long line of the lonely, the literally unwashed, and people hoping their cold is actually a new strain of flu with the two killer symptoms: a sniff and a bit of an ache.

But, it can also save a life when somebody comes in with an early symptom and it's spotted diagnosed and dealt with. So it would be spectacularly difficult to weed out the timewasters. It would be particularly difficult to use a £5 charge as the filter. People in work will happily pay £5 to queue jump the diagnosis of their cold. People that don't have £5 would end up exempt anyway.

But there is a problem there.

What's the problem?

The problem isn't a problem if we accept that we are paying doctors £70,000 / £80,000 per annum and the majority of every day is spent telling people they have a cold, listening to the elderly and filling in key performance indicator charts. There aren't enough doctors willing to become GP's because the work is not exactly the sexy end of the profession and they are getting more and more 'targets', longer and longer hours and being expected to be office managers and social workers.

A surgery of 4 or 5 doctors, each one earning around £35 / £40 per hour to listen to the elderly. Down the road, in the local care home, the library or the sheltered accommodation, that same task is valued at £6.50 per hour.

Meanwhile mid twenties office man can't get in to the doctors for 3 or 4 days about his twisted knee, so he troops off to A&E and the government are considering chucking another £20k at doctors to persuade them to open early and Saturdays.

I'm not offering any easy solution here, or peddling a political point of view. Just repeating what I'm hearing. Personally, I haven't been in to the doctors surgery as a punter for about 3 years. 

• Like 1

This woman, married, mother of two, suffered an allergic reaction to a hair dye - fitting followed by coma and death within hours.

Tragic, you may say. Until you discover that she had been to her GP at least twenty times complaining that the stuff was making her feel ill.

FFS.

I think you have to both

• die
  • not have children

to qualify for the Darwin awards.

UKIP probably saw that France's National Front got a nice €9m loan from some Russians and decided to get in on the act.

And they wouldn't be alone, according to that article...

Moscow’s influence extends far beyond Hungary. The Putin regime is bankrolling France’s National Front on the far right. On the hard left, it has close ties to the new Greek government of Alexis Tsipras whose leftwing foreign minister has said Greece could be Russia’s “military and economic ally”.

In Serbia and Bosnia, Russian politicians, military, and energy lobbies are said to be calling the shots, influencing policy, and disrupting both countries’ hopes of joining the EU.

Senior European and American diplomats and officials are also convinced, without supplying hard evidence, that the Russians have infiltrated, or are helping to fund, NGOs campaigning in Europe against fracking and the proposed free trade agreement between the EU and the US, and that they have also been quietly encouraging the Scottish and Catalan secessionist movements in Britain and Spain.

The talk among policymakers in European capitals struggling to counter what they see as the slick Kremlin operations aimed at dividing and enfeebling Europe is of “Putin’s useful idiots”.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

A couple of my friends are part time doctors (by part time I mean they've elected to do reduced hours as a life style choice, not that they're happy amateurs or anything). As sad as it is to report this, they both say that a day in a GP surgery can be a long line of the lonely, the literally unwashed, and people hoping their cold is actually a new strain of flu with the two killer symptoms: a sniff and a bit of an ache.

But, it can also save a life when somebody comes in with an early symptom and it's spotted diagnosed and dealt with. So it would be spectacularly difficult to weed out the timewasters. It would be particularly difficult to use a £5 charge as the filter. People in work will happily pay £5 to queue jump the diagnosis of their cold. People that don't have £5 would end up exempt anyway.

But there is a problem there.

I have never moved Doctors despite moving 3 times over the years... as such my GP is in Erdington.

I can confirm the waiting room there is like the Mos Eisley Cantina - a wretched hive of scum and villainy. In fact, last time I was there I took a sneaky picture with my phone:

hem-dazon-at-mos-eisley-cantina.jpg

• Like 3

FFS.

I think you have to both
  • die
  • not have children
to qualify for the Darwin awards.
I know, but you get my drift. She was an idiot, and has nobody to blame but herself.
  • Like 1

Ive from time to time considered volunteering at an old folks home, just to sit and chat with someone, and remind them that the younger world still values them. I think the east Asians and Native Americans do a better job of honoring their elderly, although I hear thats changing somewhat now. I think of all the old people in Boston who were regular customers of the old nightclub district here, and the stories they could tell about it before it was razed. I regret not picking my granparents memories before they died.

My nan was in a home for many years and we used to go visit her every Sunday .... Hers was a dementia home and I always came away thinking the kindest thing I could do was place a pillow over everyone's nose whilst they slept ...

Of course I couldn't and wouldn't actually go through it but there has to come a point in which living is pointless , the last 3 years I visited her she had no idea who I was and the quality of life was clearly gone , just sitting /laying there staring off into space with the occasional screech or something ...

I'm just hoping that all those years at least in my nans head she was on a tropical beach drinking non stop pimms whilst being served crisps by a monkey butler

But to go back to your point , I'm just not sure I could do it , Its bad enough visiting your own old people without having to go through it with someone else's ( yeah I'm bad sorry )

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

My auntie used to own one in kiddy (longer story on how she lost it but basically someone died, their family kicked off, investigation, no earnings during investigation put her out of business, no wrong doing, bastards) (my auntie tommy, my surnames atkins...)

I spent a couple of summers there while my great gran was there with Alzheimer's, not just talking to them, doing what odd jobs I could, the dementia room where my gran was was horrible, it's a complete word removed of an illness, pretty much the same as you tony she didn't have a clue what was going on or who anyone was, utterly pointless end to your life

The odd jobs side of it is better than the talking to the old people side of it, I was 12-15, I found it hard

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â