General Chat

AVFCLaura

Having read the article, it's only if you have your telly set for voice input. In other words if you've asked your TV to listen to you. It then gets sent off to a translation service to see if there are any commands contained within the speech. This is just Samsung trying to be transparent. It is nice to know, but it's nothing sinister.

Samsung issued a warning today that it's smart TV's will listen in on your conversations  and send it to a third party ??

Gogglebox?

For clarity, late at night when everyone else has gone to bed, it doesn't happen then, does it?

It's not just at night for me  :mellow:

• Like 1

It will be a minor miracle if I survive the night having caught the worst cold ever known to the human race ...Never thought it was possible for so much snot to come out of one nose

Haven't used this much tissue since Jenny posted her bikini photos on Facebook

• Like 1

Plus, there's loads of exciting stuff going on in CiTW that only we know about.

Plus flaps and baps. And limpid gives away free money in there.

(some or all of the above may not be true)

What is the point of a donor only forum? What is it adding to the website?

Money. It helps keep the site alive, as it costs Si a fair amount of both time and money to keep this place afloat. A donor only forum is a place where we can perhaps have a more civilised and friendly chat about all things Villa than is often the case on the main forum. That's what I'm getting from it anyway, as I rarely venture into the Villa section of VT anymore. 

It's a well known working way to add funds to a site/forum. People respond to it. You get a extra perk for helping out. Forums attached to other businesses that pay for it by other means of income don't have this problem but as Simon relies in ads and donation, this is the nature of the beast. Especially since google pulled its plug on ads for this site.

As an aside, I made a payment to the site a couple of months ago but didn't get any 'donor' privileges...

It spreads the cost of having the website exist at all.

As fun as it is, it's only here because someone is paying for it to be here.

The donor only bit is, in my opinion, a very small sop to try and give people a small incentive to contribute but mostly to raise awareness of the prickly issue of money.

It's got everyone talking about the money it costs to run a site, so I guess it's served its porpoise.

Personally, I'd stopped donating as I was in a silent rage over some unfair warning points I picked up in 2013, I'd only recently started contributing again and even now only very modestly. On a much smaller scale I know the effort that goes in to social media and 'stuff' around a much smaller club and its thankless and involves putting your own hand in your own pocket too often.

Here endeth my non official speaking only for myself sermon.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â