General Chat

AVFCLaura

I had one of these

Sony_MZ-M200_Hi-MD_Recorder_lg-c4c49b3b8

A Minidisc player, but managed to drop it in the toilet, too bad because I've seen them for sale for quite a bit of money since : (

Yeah I made the jump to mini disc as CDs used to skip when I was running , despite the product advert having a woman bouncing around on a trampoline music skip free ... Tbf even the mini disc skipped now and then but then I got my first 64mb MP3 player and all my problems were solved ( other than having to change the music every day else the 14 tracks or so it held got a bit repetitive !! ) ( good old Sony even locked the tracks in those days so you had to check the file out from your PC to the MP3 player and couldn't play it on your PC until you checked it back in again , removing it from your MP3 player ..: thank God other companies joined the party and killed Sonys Neanderthal attempts

That new Walkman looks quite nice but ultimately its one more device and seeing as my phone can do music , web and phone and more I think i shan't be bothering with one(even if this poxy Apple sound limit does drive me mad and make my music a few Dbs lower than I want it to be )

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

The discs to Hi-MDs were 1GB in size so a bit more space but I suppose you'd still have the problem with skipping and Sonic Stage is nusiance to use. The one I use now is just a Philips Gogear thing not great but I don't mind.

I also had a mini disc.

I remember having the choice at the time between plumping for a mini disc or going for these new fangled mp3 players.

"Mp3 players will never take off" I foolishly thought.

I loved that mini disc player... for about half an hour

ghetto-blaster--large-msg-120966880622.j

At the very end of The Jam, so about 1982 / 83 from memory?? They stayed at the hotel I was working at and they had a ghetto blaster / brixton briefcase.

I was very very taken with this - and with the reggae tape that was constantly playing on it in the bar of the hotel that they'd taken over. At the end of the stay their roadie gave me the tape, plus a tip of about £60 (a month's wages for me back then). I went out and got me a big old Panasonic blaster, cassette player, big radio dial like the one above AND critically I took it apart and 'customised' it. Just like the Jam had done.

Took off one speaker cover and wrote on the cone (as above), painted it, covered it in stickers and snapped a few bits off. Really kicked it about before I took it out.

My mum went ballistic.

Battery life made me sad.

ghetto-blaster--large-msg-120966880622.j

At the very end of The Jam, so about 1982 / 83 from memory?? They stayed at the hotel I was working at and they had a ghetto blaster / brixton briefcase.

I was very very taken with this - and with the reggae tape that was constantly playing on it in the bar of the hotel that they'd taken over. At the end of the stay their roadie gave me the tape, plus a tip of about £60 (a month's wages for me back then). I went out and got me a big old Panasonic blaster, cassette player, big radio dial like the one above AND critically I took it apart and 'customised' it. Just like the Jam had done.

Took off one speaker cover and wrote on the cone (as above), painted it, covered it in stickers and snapped a few bits off. Really kicked it about before I took it out.

My mum went ballistic.

Battery life made me sad.

no double tape deck for doing tape to tape and producing mix tapes for your school mates  .. guess Wales didn't join the 80's until very very late :)

• Like 1

oooooooh!!!!!

tape to tape high speed dubbing

Forgot all about tape to tape - I did have that at some point, but I don't think it was on that first one, as you say, it was probably around 2003 I got that one, 2 for 1 deal with my Betamax set up.

• Like 1

the one Neil Young is launching, lol.

Damn just looked on the Pono music store, the downloads aren't cheap 27 dollars for IV by Led Zep and 22 Dollars for Harvest, who's going to bother with that? As if Young hasn't got enough money.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â