General Chat

AVFCLaura

My uni work is incredibly boring. 2,500 words to go, for 4pm tomorrow, and it's so difficult to stay motivated.
Been there, done that, got the 3rd class degree. :)

Just got the result of my Graduate Medical exam. Didn't get it. Wouldn't have been disappointed at all because I'd done absolutely no preparation for it. I mean nothing. but I am because I missed out by 1 point. 1 friggin point. Incredible. Thought I was destined for a career of Biomedical science, but now it seems there's another plan for me. Now the points might come down, but in truth I'd probably reject going to Cork to do medicine. A truly terrible place. And I'm sick of Limerick. SO I'm actually 3 points off UCD and 4 off RCSI, so I can't be nervous or anything about possibly getting in there with my score.

Delighted it's not something pathetic like in the 30's or that, but still to come so close... Annoying

On the results front, got 2 essays back today, the last ones I'll write hopefully. The one I expected to be absolutely awful, get a 67. The other I thought was alright, get a 65. Haha. Thats 2 and 5 points off a first respectively, and se tme up very nicely for the exams.

It pisses my mate off a shitload that I can get decent marks in essays with a tiny amount of effort, and even when I think my essay was rubbish it was one of the better ones I've written.

when I think my essay was rubbish it was one of the better ones I've written.

I suspect the two are not unrelated, i.e. you set yourself high standards. Onwards and upwards old chap!

I received 75 for a British politics essay. It was on "Why is Britain's relationship with Europe so complex?". Everyone went for the obvious EU direction, but I decided to be completely original and took a historical take on the question, starting from just after WW2 and on throughout the Cold War up until around 2000.

That is my best mark for an essay so far.

It pisses my mate off a shitload that I can get decent marks in essays with a tiny amount of effort, and even when I think my essay was rubbish it was one of the better ones I've written.
My best ever essay mark was when my tutor knew I'd not been working on it, but I told him I only had the weekend to do the reading, planning and writing. He said it was fantastically good, especially given those circumstances.

The truth was I'd been drinking all weekend and I'd dashed off the essay in an hour in the library, start to finish, immediately before the tutorial.

when I think my essay was rubbish it was one of the better ones I've written.

I suspect the two are not unrelated, i.e. you set yourself high standards. Onwards and upwards old chap!

Possibly... but I do genuinely think that essay was worth somewhere in the 40s/50s, not near 70s. Nowhere near enough theory, the research was massively lacking because I can't read Hebrew, wasn't particularly well written based on how I usually do. I was honestly at a loss as to how you'd manage to get less than 67 on it, because it really isn't much cop. I appear to have been given a good mark because it 'put forward interesting aspects'.

Mindboggling. I had to do a seminar on the essay right before handing it in, having finished writing it about 3 hours before at 6am, and some of the other people in the group were blowing my stuff away. They must have got silly marks.

That is my best mark for an essay so far.

75, not bad. I think mine's about 72, I mostly end up just missing out on Firsts in them, I 've nailed a couple though, just. My department has this thing about basically saying, if you get a First it should be near publishable quality, which if you're interested in doing well academically always puts a spring in your step.

I'm hoping my dissertation is my highest mark really, but I won't know til July. Wish I got some feedback on it before then. Might have to go see my advisor for it, he was hyped about me doing the topic I did and reckoned if I nailed it it'd be spectacular. Sadly I also had to reference his own work a lot because of the natur eof the topic which I always feel uneasy about.

They are certainly not easy to get. I am sure you have done well enough. You were doing terrorism? Or something along those lines.

Funny you mention that about using your study advisors work. My topic that I have decided to do is on the rise of the far-right, and how far that can be blamed on political, social and economic issues. It is very interesting, as there is no general consensus and I want to try and create some bridge linking all these reasons if at all possible. Basically it will be about the far-right in Western and Eastern Europe, particularly Russia and Serbia.

My studies advisor researched the far-right in France and looked into some of the issues that I will be exploring, and he said there is definitely research to be done. I will be using some of his work in certain areas. I don't think there is a problem with that, there shouldn't be surely? I mean it is your research afterall, and you have to draw upon the main works in that area.

My overall degree is Political Studies, but I've focused very heavily on terrorism and conflict throughout my modules. My diss topic was on Israeli state terror, if state terror even exists and if Israel could be considered guilty of it.

My issue with using my advisors own work was, well... in justifying the existence of state terror, there aren't that many scholars who study it. My advisor is one of the main names who does, and also the only one I found to give any in depth reason of why it can be said to exist, which was in a book he'd just written in the introduction. I had to use that book and his justifications and in the end it's rather like, for that section of the whole thing, I've written an abridged version of his justification. But I think he knows theres almost no-one else thats done that and I needed to justify the existance of state terror on more than just 'I know terrorism when I see it'.

I referenced him a couple of other times as well, in fact he was a massive influence on the definition of terror I made up in the writing of it, he had his own quite radical idea for what constitutes terror that I agreed with and had to use in my own definition.

It shouldn;t be a problem referencing your advisors and lecturers, but I always feel uneasy doing it because it seems a bit suck up-y. It shouldn't though since they are writing in these specifc fields for a reason, and generally prescribe their own works in their courses and what not. And I always felt it must be a bit odd marking the work when they sit there reading it and see, I dunno 'as Smith shows...' and they are the Smith in question.

I had a tutor who would make you write an essay for a seminar to read out to the group. He was a stereotypical Jewish guy from the Bronx with a very thick accent and he would verbally tear the essay apart as you read it. Anyway, one seminar he was saying nothing I felt quite good about myself until he shouted 'Stop, Stop, Stop ya killin' me (yes, he really said this) where did you get this crap from?' I smiled and referenced his book as if it was a footnote on an essay. He wasn't even embarrassed, just told me to carry on.

Another thing on the whole unprepared thing. I did my entrance exam for Aber after a heavy night out, not intentional, my school decided to tell us on the morning. I decided to talk about British war technology between the wars....I spouted on for 2000 words about Churchill tanks and Spitfires, and lo and behold I got the letter saying I had a unconditional offer. I think its the relaxation effect because you think you haven't got a hope in hells chance.

I have been in shock since yesterday afternoon. Someone I know really well was murdered back home on Wednesday night . My partners nephew was nearly killed as well. Luckily he got up to get a drink and that's what saved him . Cowardly rocket polisher who did it broke into the house and stabbed her 5 times in the neck. You don't go round killing someone because they dumped you. Bastard. RIP Breda x

I have been in shock since yesterday afternoon. Someone I know really well was murdered back home on Wednesday night . My partners nephew was nearly killed as well. Luckily he got up to get a drink and that's what saved him . Cowardly rocket polisher who did it broke into the house and stabbed her 5 times in the neck. You don't go round killing someone because they dumped you. Bastard. RIP Breda x

****...some dirty bastards about alright. I am very sorry to hear that...**** awful!!!

Hang 'em by the neck I say!!

****...some dirty bastards about alright. I am very sorry to hear that...**** awful!!!

Hang 'em by the neck I say!!

Apparently it's been all over RTE news since it happened. The bastard was in court today and has been charged with murder. He is from Castledermot as well . He is well known for being a nutter around the town. John will be ok physically but God knows how he will cope with Breda dying in his arms . Gutted :(

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â