General Chat

AVFCLaura

I can't find another thread to stick this in, so this will do (I like to think of General Chat as the dumping ground for miscellaneous posts).

Alexei Sayle's Marxist Demolition of Strictly Come Dancing

Thus the propaganda role of the talent show is to promote the idea of simplicity over complexity, of popularity over talent, of banality over genuine invention because complexity encourages critical thought and critical thought is the enemy of authoritarianism. Or to employ another quote beloved of radicals, it was my distant relation film-maker Albert Mayles who stated: “Tyranny is the removal of nuance.”

Superbly written comic piece.

My favourite quote:

...if I am at a fiesta in some dusty town square in southern Spain when the band plays a sevillana and the entire pueblo (young and old, sleek teenagers and arthritic abuelas, schoolteachers and peasants) joins in with the steps of this ancient folk dance I am suffused with an overpowering love of all humanity – but if I accidentally see ballroom dancing I want to vomit
  • Like 1

Right, where's my bong?

In the post with a set of steak knives.

Thanks for that, I was going to have a look under the hood today to see if anything was obviously damaged. We had a very cold night overnight on Sun/Mon, so that may have been the culprit. Thing is, I've noticed that the last 10 days or so, the car would fight back for a split second before starting. But the battery is only 2-3 years old. But I'm parking it outside for the first time now, and sometimes go up to 4 days without driving it. I'm hoping it's just a battery that needs to be charged up more often.

• Like 1

I headed down to London today for some business relationship meetings. I woke up and was out of the house early despite being in a cold sweat with a cough so bad it was hurting my kidneys whenever I had to hawk up a lung.

Got down there, went through the maze of Euston and Bank stations, went to the first meeting. Ended up in a coffee shop, dripping with sweat, couldn't hear a word that was said and even sat down had dodgy balance. Left, found out that was the only meeting. Lost my voice on the way home. Tried to warm up some food once I got back and damn near set it alight.

Today hasn't been great. And I still can't talk.

Right, where's my bong?

In the post with a set of steak knives.

Thanks for that, I was going to have a look under the hood today to see if anything was obviously damaged. We had a very cold night overnight on Sun/Mon, so that may have been the culprit. Thing is, I've noticed that the last 10 days or so, the car would fight back for a split second before starting. But the battery is only 2-3 years old. But I'm parking it outside for the first time now, and sometimes go up to 4 days without driving it. I'm hoping it's just a battery that needs to be charged up more often.

I look forward to recieving it :) Though best to keep me away from the kinves.

You say the car was "fighting back" which suggests a little that the starter isn't turning fast enough completely, and as such, the compression in the cylinders is forcing it back. it defineitely sounds like there's a loss of battery power, then.

If the weather is damp, that may be one cause, when added to the battery being low on power.

best you can do is what you've done - make sure it's fully charged, check the connection is good and tight and there's no corrosion on the lead - it'll be a big red lead to the starter - usually to a stud with a nut (:)).

check at the battery terminals as well - make sure good and tight and maybe put some petroleum jelly on the terminals to keep damp away.

I headed down to London today for some business relationship meetings. I woke up and was out of the house early despite being in a cold sweat with a cough so bad it was hurting my kidneys whenever I had to hawk up a lung.

Got down there, went through the maze of Euston and Bank stations, went to the first meeting. Ended up in a coffee shop, dripping with sweat, couldn't hear a word that was said and even sat down had dodgy balance. Left, found out that was the only meeting. Lost my voice on the way home. Tried to warm up some food once I got back and damn near set it alight.

Have a wank, then go to bed. 

• Like 2

Have a wank, then go to bed. 

Will do. 

Oh, you mean Chindie? 

• Like 3

best you can do is what you've done - make sure it's fully charged

Needed another jump today...then I took it on the highway for 20 minutes. Gonna go see if it starts in 30 minutes or so.

Spent £80 on underwear and socks today. My life is so exciting. 

You kitting out a football team?

Its painful shelling out that much but on the plus side I should be good for another few years!  :)

I'm feeling absolutely awful, wide awake having spent the night apparently trying to turn my lungs inside out, but because this a short month and some arsehole is being a word removed, I've got to go into work to get a bunch of shit done that I'm going to end up worrying about all month and probably end up having to cancel holiday over.

**** bollocks. I can still barely speak as well.

I'm feeling absolutely awful, wide awake having spent the night apparently trying to turn my lungs inside out, but because this a short month and some arsehole is being a word removed, I've got to go into work to get a bunch of shit done that I'm going to end up worrying about all month and probably end up having to cancel holiday over.

**** bollocks. I can still barely speak as well.

If it makes you feel any better, Xela still has about a fortnight off.

Lets not rub it in. It isn't a fortnight left. It's one week and six days  :D

• Like 1

How hard is it get a train from Lundon (Luton) to Birmingham and if your flight was in at 12:05 would you make a 3pm kick off? 

If the flight lands at 12.05, by the time you get off the plane, go through immigration/customs, collect baggage it will be 12.30.

Assuming your catching a train, next train might be at 1pm.

1hour 20 mins train journey?

Arrive new street - 2.20pm.

catch local train to villa park - 30 mins (including waiting time). 

you'll arrive for the match at 2.50pm 

So yes, it should be ok, that timeline has built in time for waiting around for trains.

• Like 1

I don't think the train from Luton to Birmingham is very good or quick.

My sister went to University in Luton and she always got the coach when she came home to brum because the trains were crap. Apparently.

How hard is it get a train from Lundon (Luton) to Birmingham and if your flight was in at 12:05 would you make a 3pm kick off? 

If the flight lands at 12.05, by the time you get off the plane, go through immigration/customs, collect baggage it will be 12.30.

Assuming your catching a train, next train might be at 1pm.

1hour 20 mins train journey?

Arrive new street - 2.20pm.

catch local train to villa park - 30 mins (including waiting time). 

you'll arrive for the match at 2.50pm 

So yes, it should be ok, that timeline has built in time for waiting around for trains.

That journey would stress me out no-end. Way too many opportunities for delays. Plus, you need 15 minutes to get your programme, balti pie and bovril before the match starts.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â