General Chat

AVFCLaura

I can't find another thread to stick this in, so this will do (I like to think of General Chat as the dumping ground for miscellaneous posts).

Alexei Sayle's Marxist Demolition of Strictly Come Dancing

Thus the propaganda role of the talent show is to promote the idea of simplicity over complexity, of popularity over talent, of banality over genuine invention because complexity encourages critical thought and critical thought is the enemy of authoritarianism. Or to employ another quote beloved of radicals, it was my distant relation film-maker Albert Mayles who stated: “Tyranny is the removal of nuance.”

"People always say to me 'Alexei, what is alternative new wave Marxist comedy?' and I say 'sod off you nosy b*****d'"

So I just started my car up, pulled up to the house to pack our bags and hit the road, but when I tried to start the car up again, it wouldn't turn over. Interior light works, headlights work...so the battery is charged...the starter works, cuz the car kicked over 5 minutes before. 

Could it be the fan belt?

Any gear heads on here?

I should mention that before I tried to start it the second time, I spent a couple of minutes loading CD's...but even after that, lights still worked, so I'm a bit flummoxed here.

Edited by maqroll

So I just started my car up, pulled up to the house to pack our bags and hit the road, but when I tried to start the car up again, it wouldn't turn over. Interior light works, headlights work...so the battery is charged...the starter works, cuz the car kicked over 5 minutes before. 

Could it be the fan belt?

Any gear heads on here?

I'm not  a heroin addict (dunno why you'd want car advice from a druggie anyway), but no, not fanbelt/alternator belt.

The alternator/fanbelt drives the alternator, which is the thing that puts electricity back in the battery. If it is too loose, or breaks the warning light for it will come on. Also, even a non-car person could pop the bonnet and have a look and be able to tell.

it sounds more like a starter or battery thing. Sometimes the starter solenoid can fail to work - either because of a wiring problem, such as a loose or damaged wire, or because it is faulty itself.

If you listen carefully and when you turn the key to start it you can hear a quick mechanical "click" noise, that will be the solenoid moving the starter motor itself to engage the flywheel.

If you get that sound, then it's not a fault with that part of the system.

If you then get a dimming of all the lights, like the system is trying to start the car, but nothing else happens, or it just barely has a go at turning the engine, then it's either a flat/almost flat battery, or if nothing at all happens, no clunk of the solenoid, nothing at all, then maybe it's a starter motor or starter wiring fault.

I'd be tempted to lift the bonnet, see if any belts are missing or loose. Looose would be where if you push on the belt, it doesn't feel tight - if you can push it down by more than about 1/2 to 1/4 of an inch then it is loose. But if a belt is loose, so that it slips and doesn't turn the alternator, you would expect to get a warning light come on, to tell you the alternator isn't generating electricity.

If it's not that, then the battery may be close to giving up - how old is it? You can get batteries checked at local garages or maybe somewhere like a Quickfit or Halfords place. The onset of the colder weather can cause batteries that are on the way out to fail.

Without being able to look at the car, there's not much more I can add.

Right, where's my bong?

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â