General Chat

AVFCLaura

Not sure if it warranted it's own thread, but it seems Manchester may be getting it's own elected Mayor in a similar fashion to London - Beeb link here

With Manchester ever growing in size and status, is Birmingham getting left behind? What is it that makes Manchester a more attractive area for investment than Birmingham, and does the success of it's football teams have an impact on the fashionable perception of the city?

Was having this conversation the other day. In my eyes Birmingham is very poor at promoting itself. The only time it is seen in the media is through negative programmes (benefit st etc). Whereas Manchester are always promoting themselves positively. Birmingham is twice the City Manchester is.

Look at the times we hav gone for capital of culture and other such nominations, losing out to the likes of Liverpool.

Having lived in Manchester for 7 years, it was clear that Mancs are very self obsessed and are forever harping on about how great Manchester was.  The majority of my friends were non Mancunians.

The completion of new street will be huge for Brum, hopefully that will jump start an improvement of other neglected parts of the city centre. Still, I'm a brum lad but Im not a huge fan of the place myself. Well, I don't like big cities in general. Give me a modern yet quaint market town over a big bustling city anyday.

Edited by Ingram85

The completion of new street will be huge for Brum, hopefully that will jump start an improvement of other neglected parts of the city centre. Still, I'm a brum lad but Im not a huge fan of the place myself. Well, I don't like big cities in general. Give me a modern yet quaint market town over a big bustling city anyday.

Cumbernauld.

Not sure if it warranted it's own thread, but it seems Manchester may be getting it's own elected Mayor in a similar fashion to London - Beeb link here

With Manchester ever growing in size and status, is Birmingham getting left behind? What is it that makes Manchester a more attractive area for investment than Birmingham, and does the success of it's football teams have an impact on the fashionable perception of the city?

Didn't Birmingham have the chance to do this, and vote against it?

As for the Manchester thing, it's been discussed many times, and my view is there is no city on earth with such an undeservingly high opinion of it's self that Manchester.

Went to Manchester recently and it struck me as much trendier than Birmingham.

There were a few places we went to and I found myself thinking "you'd never get any of this in Brum"

I love Birmingham. it is the second city and rightly so. But I'm not sure it's "nicer" than Manchester. But second cities aren't decided on being nice.

• Like 1

Was having this conversation the other day. In my eyes Birmingham is very poor at promoting itself. The only time it is seen in the media is through negative programmes (benefit st etc). Whereas Manchester are always promoting themselves positively. Birmingham is twice the City Manchester is.

Look at the times we hav gone for capital of culture and other such nominations, losing out to the likes of Liverpool.

I've mentioned this on here before too. A cooleague of mine here in Dubai has the Selfridges building in the Bull Ring as his screensaver, blissfully unaware that it's even in the UK, let alone Birmingham (he's from Bournemouth btw) (sorry Donnie).

Had that been in Manchester and Liverpool then the whole world would've known about it. Birmingham always seems to be content with itself, suffering a general malaise to PR and promotion.

I honestly feel the Villa suffer from the 'Birmingham syndrome' as any other club that had the PM, future king, movie stars and rock legends as fans would do a better job of marketing this. Not that I want a bunch of plastics as the club, but they're necessary if we're to compete financially in lieu of a spending chairman.

Living overseas, most non-Brits would struggle to tell you which city Aston Villa are from. Even when you tell them it's in Birmingham you probably have to explain how far away that is from either London or Manchester.

• Like 2

There were a few places we went to and I found myself thinking "you'd never get any of this in Brum"

I love Birmingham. it is the second city and rightly so. But I'm not sure it's "nicer" than Manchester. But second cities aren't decided on being nice.

The second city this is interesting, as more people now consider Manchester the second city in the UK.

What constitutes being the second city?

The second city this is interesting, as more people now consider Manchester the second city in the UK.

What constitutes being the second city?

I'm not sure they do.  Debate seems pretty split.

Birmingham has had far more historical impact.  

Also Mancs always go on about the cities great music (you know the music that isn't really popular outside these shores).  They even have the audacity to say The Charlatans (A Brummie band) are a Manc band.

• Like 1

Maybe some Brummies have a chip on their shoulder, when it comes to Manchester. I know I do to an extent. I like the place, I've had some great days and nights out there, but it's not the place it's hyped up to be in our minds. As someone who has lived in the Brum, the South and the North I can say I've not encountered many people who are ignorant to the fact Birmingham is the second city, and in fact a lot of people are in agreement to the fact Manchester has an overinflated opinion of itself.

Edited by dAVe80

They even have the audacity to say The Charlatans (A Brummie band) are a Manc band.

Erm don't know how to break this to you, they were never a Brummie band. Walsall maybe but not Brum

They were never a Manchester band either, they were based in Northwich, which is as close to Liverpool as it is Manchester and even closer to Chester

To be honest, Birmingham's a cultural desert in comparison to the cities of the North West of England.

To be honest, Birmingham's a cultural desert in comparison to the cities of the North West of England.

How so?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â