General Chat

AVFCLaura

You just walked out? It's not even the girl. (although she is ridiculously cute) I hate my job. I'm miserable. I'm not trying to sit here and say it's the hardest job in the world because it's not but I just hate it.

I'm 22. Now is the time to make mistakes and live a little. All I've ever wanted to do is be a teacher so I streamlined my life to that. Now I'm realising how stupid that was.

I'll send a text to my line manager today and talk to my head on Monday.

I gave notice , guess walked out was the wrong phrase ... I walked out on a career is more what I meant

I'd been forward and back to Budapest over a dozen times though before I made that decision ...

I need to have a look at it.

Talk to your union as soon as possible, in teaching you can't give a month's notice, usually you have to give a term or half terms notice, else you can get sued for breach of contract. Although it's unlikely that they would sue you, leaving outside of the acceptable periods will look awful on your CV and could seriously hold you back if you want to teach in the UK again in the future. 

Now is the time to do these things mate, you don't want to stay in a job you seem to passionately hate and look back in ten years and think "what if?"

If you really hate your job that much then I would never recommend that you stick with it.. life's too short for that. But, and there is always a but, you've only done a couple of months as a qualified teacher (I think?). Are you sure you're not being hasty? Perhaps give it to Christmas and then decide over the Christmas holidays.

As for the breach of contract, we're not privvy to the details of it but I can't see them suing a first year teacher who decides he doesn't want to teach anymore. There's no value in them to do that. 

Stef,

I changed career path and my complete social circle aged 25. Caused some serious rifts with friends, put me back financially and set me off on a career I had no paper qualifications for. At the time the obvious advice was that this was a dumb move and I'd have less spending money and lose some good friends I'd had since school and college.

I don't regret a day of it.

But have the chat on Monday and then go away and have a few sleeps on it. If you still feel the same having said it out loud to the head and you still feel the same next weekend then go and do what you want to do. You know what, if in 6 months time it turns out it was a mistake, that's no big deal. Swap again.

No point in spending the next 40 years in a job you don't like or the next 50 years wondering 'what if'.

I'm at the point where I don't want to be a teacher ever again. It's not for me at all. so that doesn't bother me

I thought the job in Poland was teaching?

English teaching. Not academic.

Coda (I think) the job is teaching English to polish natives. It's okay paid, I'll be able to live. I just want to enjoy life a bit. My whole life has been pushing towards this. Be a teacher. Be a teacher. And now I'm miserable because of it.

Top advice chris, who would you advise talking to? My head?

Just been talking to my mentor. I said this to her "I guess I don't know how ready I am to give up my life in all honesty and that's the issue' and she said 'be sure what you want and maybe it's easier to get out early on than fail'

She doesn't necessarily mean move to Poland! It's hard moving away from everyone and everything and you seem quite a sociable guy. I'm not really and I struggled bad enough moving to London.

Take your time. I know you feel trapped right now but you've already taken that first step, you've decided on change. You'll find it all that little bit less stressful for now. Promise.

Good luck Stefan.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â