General Chat

AVFCLaura

Thinking of giving up boozing... just takes too long to recover now! 

I have those thoughts most Sunday evenings. I manage to stay off the booze for the rest of the week, and then I'm usually back on it the following Friday. 

Guys, I need some advice! I sent the below to a very helpful gentleman from VT earlier but I was wondering if I could get anymore views.

I joined a Sunday league football team over the summer. There is a first team and a reserve team. About 3 or 4 training sessions in the managers mentioned to us all they didn't have a goalkeeper for the reserve team.

I stupidly spoke up, as I was new, and said I was willing to play as goalkeeper because I used to when I was younger about 8 years ago now. However, I quit for a reason then and that was the fact I didn't enjoy it as much, lack of confidence and got far too nervous before games. I know it's normal but it got to a point I couldn't handle it.

Here's the problem. Without blowing my own trumpet I am a good goalkeeper. Today was the first friendly match of the season and I had to play for the first team and reserve team. (2 90 minute matches) Altogether I let in 6 goals and most I consider my fault (especially one) yet the managers turned around at the end and awarded me man of the match for both games? I feel I had good games but I COULDN'T relax at all. I know it was my first game back in YEARS but I don't think I want to carry on playing as goalkeeper.

So how do I tell the manager? If I tell him I want to play outfield (which admittedly I'm not great at) the reserve team will struggle for a goalkeeper. The season doesn't start until next month so if I'm going to tell them I need to tell them now. I just don't know how they'll react. I'd much rather playing outfield but I can't see me getting that many games either.

And as I am about to click post the second team manager adds me on Facebook...

Xann, what happened with your drunk mate?

He didn't arrive.

Will see what colour he is tomorrow.

Likely a shade of green, unless he passed out.

He's a 'wedged brick on the accelerator' drinker.

I have those thoughts most Sunday evenings. I manage to stay off the booze for the rest of the week, and then I'm usually back on it the following Friday. 

KaoNNU9.gif

• Like 1

KaoNNU9.gif

watched that last night

Warnock, what made you want to join a Sunday league team? If it was to get fit/ have some games as an outfield player, then you're no longer doing what you wanted to do, so I would say something before you're in the middle of the season and let them down with only a week to find a replacement.

Warnock, what made you want to join a Sunday league team? If it was to get fit/ have some games as an outfield player, then you're no longer doing what you wanted to do, so I would say something before you're in the middle of the season and let them down with only a week to find a replacement.

It was to play outfield mate. As I say I've completely shot myself in the foot and why I spoke up about playing in goal I'll never know. I agree with what you're saying though, season starts in just over a month so I'll play Wednesdays friendly then somehow break it to them. Geez, I'm making it sound as if its the end of the world...

Just approach the whole thing in the style of Manuel Neuer. A few massive slide tackles on the half way line and they'll soon decide you'd be better used outfield.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â