General Chat

AVFCLaura

My reasoning is that if I was looking for somebody short term and part time, I'd want quick references there so I could make a quick decision rather than faff with requesting.

Let's be honest nobody is going to be dumb enough to put down a referee who is going to give them a bad reference so I don't even bother seeking them ...

The interview is going to make up my mind not some BS reference

Edit: or what 8pints said much better above

100% both posts. If you can't sell yourself to me I doubt anyone else will be able to. It's purely a psychological thing I'd say.

Though I've never consciously rejected a CV on the above basis now I think about it it belies a lack of confidence to a degree and confidence is something I'm always looking for.

Also, whether the job is full time, part time or whatever is irrelevant. Again I'd never hire somebody less than "right" based on the amount of hours I'll be paying them for. Maybe it's different when it's your own money as opposed to the governments? ;)

My reasoning is that if I was looking for somebody short term and part time, I'd want quick references there so I could make a quick decision rather than faff with requesting.

Let's be honest nobody is going to be dumb enough to put down a referee who is going to give them a bad reference so I don't even bother seeking them ...

100% both posts. If you can't sell yourself to me I doubt anyone else will be able to. It's purely a psychological thing I'd say.

Though I've never consciously rejected a CV on the above basis now I think about it it belies a lack of confidence to a degree and confidence is something I'm always looking for.

Also, whether the job is full time, part time or whatever is irrelevant. Again I'd never hire somebody less than "right" based on the amount of hours I'll be paying them for. Maybe it's different when it's your own money as opposed to the governments? ;)

References are bullshit these days anyway aren't they?

Companies aren't allowed to give bad references. I know my company, when asked for a reference, will literally just confirm that you worked for the company when you say you did. No opinion offered whatsoever.

References are bullshit these days anyway aren't they?

Companies aren't allowed to give bad references. I know my company, when asked for a reference, will literally just confirm that you worked for the company when you say you did. No opinion offered whatsoever.

Yeah pretty much

We get asked on reference requests " would you re-employ such and such "

To which my diplomatic answer is we have a policy of not rehiring people who have left the organisation

Better than saying " do I look f@@king crazy , he's your problem now suckers "

I never put references on mine, wait for them to ask.

Or put DHUTWU at the bottom.

I always put 'references available upon request' and then they just never get requested. I don't want people contacting previous superiors without notice and without my permission because it isn't really fair on them.

I was asked for a reference a while back by one of the guys leaving the office, which I duly gave.

The guy that was leaving asked me, if I didn't mind, what the ref said. So I typed up on headed paper: I found Mr X X to be mostly adequate most of the time.

I'd actually written that I didn't particularly want to give a reference as he was by far the best guy of his grade in the office (which I let him know before he left for his new job).

At his leaver interview I asked why he was going, he mumbled some rubbish about how it shouldn't be his job to apply moisturiser.

• Like 2

'...if I were...', no?

Well spotted. Typed on my phone under the desk in a lecture. Only a B for me :-(

• Like 1

Companies aren't allowed to give bad references.

Says who?

Unless the law has changed, surely references just have to be truthful and honest?

I can see that many ex (or current) employers would rather not concern themselves with accusations of unfairness or have some (mostly silly idea) about covering their arses for the purposes of litigation but if the care worker you employed actually stole the life savings of one of your clients, for example, then a 'reference' stating that X was most assiduous both with the client's regular taking of tablets and the regular taking of the client's money would be unlikely to be impermissible.

Companies aren't allowed to give bad references.

Says who?

Unless the law has changed, surely references just have to be truthful and honest?

I can see that many ex (or current) employers would rather not concern themselves with accusations of unfairness or have some (mostly silly idea) about covering their arses for the purposes of litigation but if the care worker you employed actually stole the life savings of one of your clients, for example, then a 'reference' stating that X was most assiduous both with the client's regular taking of tablets and the regular taking of the client's money would be unlikely to be impermissible.

Refusing says all that a bad reference would say though, without any of the hard work.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

Buckingham Palace sentry box auctioned

A royal sentry box that stood in the forecourt of Buckingham Palace for a large part of the 20th Century is going up for auction.

The navy blue sentry box, which was one of four replaced in 1992, also contains graffiti dating back to 1955.

Graffiti on the inside of the box, which sheltered soldiers of the Household Division on guard duty outside the palace, gives an indication of how long it was in service.

Mr Thomas said: "There are quite a few initials and names in the sentry box and also there is one girl's name, a soldier's sweetheart maybe, 'Cindy' carved into it".

And to think I was given shit by my headmaster at school for carving my initials and dates in to the plaster on the wall of the school's san...

Edited by snowychap

Just caught the end of Inside the Animal Mind. It appears that sharks are scared of magnets. Who knew?

Without wishing to appear a smarty pants I thought most people knew this ?

School boy rule number 1 of you are attacked by a shark is to punch it on the nose where its receptors are

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â