General Chat

AVFCLaura

What makes a genuinely nice young bloke with all of his life ahead of him do something like that?

RIP buddy - hope you are in a happier place

Who?

Something wrong with the wikipedia server.? I am getting funny looking page layout on wiki. Probably my browser playing games.
Looks all right to me.

I think I'm at the sink or swim stage with my dissertation. I stupidly picked a topic that, while interesting, has spectacularly little written on it meaning a lot of my research has been reading around the subject, and that means you get little of relevance for a lot of work. And of course I've left it all rather late. But I've got about 10 pages of notes and the best part of 50 things to reference and I know what my arguments and so on are.

It just doesn't feel enough. But I can't bring myself to read much more. The whole things due in 11 days. I'm really tempted to just start writing the thing and fill in the gaps as I go, and if something really major is missing I cna use the time to fill it out in the coming week.

Wait till I feel better prepared or just gun for it and tweak it as I go... hmm.

What makes a genuinely nice young bloke with all of his life ahead of him do something like that?

RIP buddy - hope you are in a happier place

Who?

Yeah, who?

I think I'm at the sink or swim stage with my dissertation. I stupidly picked a topic that, while interesting, has spectacularly little written on it meaning a lot of my research has been reading around the subject, and that means you get little of relevance for a lot of work. And of course I've left it all rather late. But I've got about 10 pages of notes and the best part of 50 things to reference and I know what my arguments and so on are.

It just doesn't feel enough. But I can't bring myself to read much more. The whole things due in 11 days. I'm really tempted to just start writing the thing and fill in the gaps as I go, and if something really major is missing I cna use the time to fill it out in the coming week.

Wait till I feel better prepared or just gun for it and tweak it as I go... hmm.

Start writing. Then at least you have something to show your adviser when you're stuck and have 3 days to go.

I had a similar dilemma to yourself when writing my dissertation. I started writing and edited it as I went along. I too had a dearth of relevant sources and eventually found myself referencing existing theory and adapting it for my purposes. I didn't necessarily agree with the theory I used, nor did I sincerely believe in my own hypothesis but it sounded good and ticked alot of boxes for originality.

And you get alot of credit for being original (as long as your work is rooted in some current theory/discussion).

Start writing and don't panic if you're not happy with it right away. If you've got time to get a draft written and checked by someone at uni, that would be a great help if you're looking for direction.

Anyway, as I said, being original really goes in your favour when it comes to marking, it's just a massive pain in the arse to be creative when you're under pressure.

BOF : Edited.

Oh come on BOF it was said in jest.... :lol:

The lack of a smiley meant that wasn't obvious. Read your posts back as the reader, not the writer.

Cheers Pompey and Anthony. I figure I'll finish up the last couple of things I want to read, one of which is referenced by absolutely everyone in the consideration of 1 aspect of the topic, and another which is one of the few things written directly about the topic. Then I can go back to my research proposal which has a pretty water tight plan in the advisor loved and arrange my notes into that format.

Then tomorrow I can get typing. I expect I'll have to do some frantic googling at some point because I'm sure theres something missing (most likely straight off the top of my head the opposing viewpoint, which isn't terribly well covered...). I just want to get the thing done now, I've things to do with my break other than this.

Just finished an essay on the IRA Long War strategy. I found it interesting, but I just was not in the mood for researching, referencing and typing. Still have to do the bibliography. That can wait until Sunday or something.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â