General Chat

AVFCLaura

Got a third of the way down and then realised I didn't know what any of them looked like when they were young. I was just looking at pictures of middle aged people

You had to be there I guess :)

Kate Bush hasn't aged well and as for Pete Burns wtf !!

I've been to both Vegas and Dubai. I can confirm that they're absolutely nothing like each other. Vegas is purely built for entertainment and, like Lapal put it, is a Disney for adults. Dubai reminds me of Canary Wharf and is equally shit and boring.

You can go dune safari , you can ride the wild wadi , you can go skiing , you can go up the tallest building in the world and you can of course just chill out in some fantastic hotels ...

And having worked in canary wharf for 6 years I can confirm there are no water rides , sand dunes , camels or beaches in CW

There are no beaches, but it has grass areas to sit on, or an ice rink at this time of year; you can go around the shopping centre, or, if you can get access, up one of the tallest buildings in England; there are bars, restaurants, cafés.

I'll revise what I said then:

Dubai is a larger version of Canary Wharf (but with camels, sand and a water slide). ;)

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 1

I've never seen a live badger but I've seen dozens of dead ones.

I've seen one that was supposed to have been recorded live but I suspect in fact it had been heavily edited to make it look good.

Dubai is a shithole. My brother worked out there for a couple of years and I went out there visiting for a few weeks, the place is grim.

So much racism and inequality between the Indian/Pakistani men who work (and die) on the construction sites, the Philippine and Indonesian women who do all the cleaning/nannying/prostitution jobs and the Arabs who just skim money off the western companies by acting as 'fixers'. Meanwhile western expats who are board witless of living in a desert with no culture spend all their tax free cash on expensive cars to sit in traffic jams that run for kilometres and all day drinking 'brunches' on the weekend. 

• Like 1

Nice to see some of the musicians I grew up listening to in the 80's have aged just as badly as I have

http://djrioblog.com/2013/11/26/new-wave-artists-aging-gracefully-an-80s-world-gone-by/

Totally my era but I only got a fraction of them. The brunette in Bananarama would still get it.

She's married to Andrew Ridgeley ( the talented half of Wham )  , unless I'm confusing the members of Bananarama

Lewis Collins (Professionals) dead !!

loved that show in the 80's me and my mate used to pretend to be them when we were kids  ... I was always Bodie , even though Doyle was a Villa fan

Lewis Collins (Professionals) dead !!

loved that show in the 80's me and my mate used to pretend to be them when we were kids  ... I was always Bodie , even though Doyle was a Villa fan

For weeks I pestered my mum for this for Christmas. It was in the window of Lindsworth post office for weeks and I was gutted when it disappeared. Imagine my excitement when, on my usual pre-Christmas present snoop, I found it hidden in the cupboard under the stairs.

image_zps79d92246.jpg

• Like 1

didn't they drive a truly shit car?

like some sort of unreliable penis extension?

How wrong you are. They drove the car that was every boys dream at the time (unless you were a Fall Guy fan), the excellent Ford Capri.

• Like 1

nah .. Grim is the North of England .... Dubai isjust sterile

The Surfdom / borderline slavery you mention is rife in a lot of the world not just sole preserve of the Arabs

The thing that surprised me is the way the expats also got in on the racist attitudes. Giving crap to the cab drivers or the waiters that brought the drinks etc. It seems like it is very easy to slip into that mindset when the whole society is ordered in that way.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â