General Chat

AVFCLaura

University lecturers are going on strike tomorrow, I don't know what whether to be pissed off or happy. On one hand, I pay £9k a year and I'm only in three days a week, from Tuesday to Thursday, and I'm in 11-6 on Thursdays, so I'm missing a big chunk of my education for this week. Naturally I'm pissed that I'm missing a day which is effectively costing me £150. All because the Uni aren't paying the lecturers enough apparently, which is slightly baffling since they make ~£250million from yearly tuition fees, and recently spent £30million on a new sports centre.

However, 5 day weekend :D

uni's piss me off

money machines

first year doesn't count so you could do the remaining 2 years in 6 months/1 year (my course anyway was 6 hours a week)

I think the course would be far more driven and people would have to buck up and not ease through the 3 years. I wish I could have done my degree in a year. Working 9-5 every day, it's easily possible.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Depends what course you're doing, not all degrees are equal. 6 hours a week is a pisstake. I'm sure you've got the old 'extra reading' excuses, but come on.

On the other hand, fitting a 3 year STEM-based course in to one year would be pretty much impossible. Even if the hours allowed, 9-5 5 days a week solid would be too damn much for the harder courses. Knowledge takes time to sink in.

Edited by Davkaus

Lecturers don't get paid a huge amount relative to the time it takes to become one and the pressures they get to both teach and do research. 

That said, they are hardly earning chump change, certainly well above the average salary in this country. 

Also, it's that individuals choice to pursue a career as an academic, no one put a gun to their head, they know that they are leaving lots of money on the table in order to go into academia, that's just the trade off for doing something you 'love'.

Depends what course you're doing, not all degrees are equal. 6 hours a week is a pisstake. I'm sure you've got the old 'extra reading' excuses, but come on.

On the other hand, fitting a 3 year STEM-based course in to one year would be pretty much impossible. Even if the hours allowed, 9-5 5 days a week solid would be too damn much for the harder courses. Knowledge takes time to sink in.

True, my mates who did engineering degrees were basically doing a full time job with their courses. My course (economics and statistics) took about half the time in class, and frankly I could have done it from home, no real need to be there.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

True, my mates who did engineering degrees were basically doing a full time job with their courses. My course (economics and statistics) took about half the time in class, and frankly I could have done it from home, no real need to be there.

I think you're right about that, and there may be more of a movement towards ecourses. There are sites like Coursera that offer courses from top US universities that are obviously unacreddited. I wouldn't be surprised to see proper courses moving towards this model. It benefits both the universities and the students. Lower costs and wider catchment area for the university, no commute for the student. You would miss out on the party life and moving away from home, I guess.

Edited by Davkaus

Why is Kelly Brook famous? I use the term 'famous' lightly. I don't know what she's actually done. However, it seems a great deal of the population can't help salivating at the very mention of her name. I don't know why. Has she done some sex thing? Is she, Susie Dent like, lovely in a rather... oh my, I'd like her to read a dictionary to me, kind of way?

Why is Kelly Brook famous? I use the term 'famous' lightly. I don't know what she's actually done. However, it seems a great deal of the population can't help salivating at the very mention of her name. I don't know why. Has she done some sex thing? Is she, Susie Dent like, lovely in a rather... oh my, I'd like her to read a dictionary to me, kind of way?

She does have a great figure.

I forget which blogger (maybe Bryan Caplan?) argued that the secret to choosing a high-paying degree was look for ones that needed a decent amount of math, and that of those, Econ was by far the easiest.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â