General Chat

AVFCLaura

Just got a text from my housemate at Uni (who I've known for about three weeks) asking how I'd feel about getting a house rabbit :mellow:

I don't think we're even allowed pets. Not to mention our house is pretty tiny and in the middle of an estate in Newcastle.

Newcastle as in rabbit eating capital of the world ?

Just got a text from my housemate at Uni (who I've known for about three weeks) asking how I'd feel about getting a house rabbit  :mellow:

I don't think we're even allowed pets. Not to mention our house is pretty tiny and in the middle of an estate in Newcastle.

if it's a house rabbit make sure you give it a good clean with an alcohol based wipe before you have a go

A friend of mine died this week in the UK. Hadn't seen him for about 7/8 years. We were best friends in school and tried to meet up a few years ago. He was 25. Very very sad. The death has been described as an accident. He was working at a chemical plant, but there has been nothing about an accident in the media, so there's obviously speculation that accident is a euphemism.

Anyway, his funeral is next week. I've never been to the funeral of a friend before. Do you go to either the removal or the funeral mass, or both? It's just that I don't drive, so I'd be relying on my father to drive me there which would be a 2.5 hour round trip. I'm guessing I would be going to one or the other. Which is the better option?

A couple more thoughts on my friend being dead. I feel really weird about it. We were really good friends. One of my best friends ever possibly, at a time when I'd been without a best friend for a long time. He was one of the first people I met up with outside of school, from school. I stayed in his house once. He stayed in my house once. He was cool. We met up with girls and other friends that summer and became a group of friends for the entire summer. Going to shitty cover band gigs and drinking in fields and acting the maggot. We were in a shitty shitty band together and recorded an album on a tape recorder.

If you told me then that this friend of mine would die before we were 26, I'd have been devastated. And I suppose I am. He is someone that I always thought that when we're both settled down in life, I'd love to meet up with him and find out what he's been up to and talk about the fun we had in school and over the course of that summer. He'd remember things that I'd forgotten and vice versa and we'd talk about what our friends then are doing now, but now that'll never happen and it makes me very sad. I'm probably romanticising the idea, because we did drift apart significantly over the past 7/8 years, but at the same time, we did almost meet up a couple of years ago when he text me to ask if I was in Dublin for new years. I was in Galway, so we couldn't meet. Although I don't regret not meeting him because I couldn't, I will lament it. It's sad that at any reunion of friends of us will have us just telling stories about him, rather than him being there to tell stories himself. I was responsible for telling our friends about his death and the more of them that I told, the more I remembered how we were much better friends with each other than anyone else in that group. We were described as being a bit like a couple. It reminds me that I've lost a great friend from my past and it makes me sad.

• Like 2

A relative of mine, possibly my Gramp's cousin was a speedway racer in the 20s / 30s. His motorbike is in the National Motorcycle Museum.

blownsq42.jpg

I believe that's him.

Edit - Yes it is him, and he did die after crashing during a race and fracturing his skull.

His bike was named the 'Copperknob' *chortle*

Edited by villaajax

What the hell is speedway, anyway?

It's like speedskating but on bikes on sand/dirt and you can die.

Though still quite dull.

...and the bikes don't have breaks...

it's redkneck sport for scandinavians

and it was my fave chapter in my ITV World Of Sport Annual sometime around '74 / '75

What the hell is speedway, anyway?

It's like speedskating but on bikes on sand/dirt and you can die.

Though still quite dull.

...and the bikes don't have breaks...

it's redkneck sport for scandinavians

and it was my fave chapter in my ITV World Of Sport Annual sometime around '74 / '75

You made Big Daddy cry

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â