General Chat

AVFCLaura

LondonLax, on 12 Sept 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

tonyh29, on 11 Sept 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

CarewsEyebrowDesigner, on 11 Sept 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

I'd like to visit Jerusalem at some point. Just to see what all the fuss is about, really.

Although I'm convinced if I do go I'll try some typically edgy Ulster wit on the locals and find myself in a spot of bother.

Yeah same as that , not the ulster wit bit obviously , I'd be much funnier than that :)

I've done Jordan , Syria , Egypt and Lebanon so bit baffled really why I've not been already tbh

It's a personal bugbear of mine when people say they have 'done' countries, like it's some sort of tick list.

Aussie backpackers say it all the time, that they've 'done' all these countries. What they mean is they travelled through them on a stinking hot bus with 20 other Australians (and the odd kiwi) and only saw the bottom of a pint glass the entire time.

well if I had said I'd been to

Umayyad Mosque, Damascus

Roman ruins, Palmyra

Crac des Chevaliers

Roman ruins, Apamea

Saladin’s castle

in Syria

Petra

Jerash

Amman

The Dead Sea

Tabqit Fahl

Umm Al-Jimal

in Jordan

for example ... (and that's that's just a sample btw) I'd probably have been accused of being boring :)

I agree with you about backpackers , and there are countless posts of mine slagging them off

but some of us are more refined and cultured than the Aussies ..actually scrub that ..ALL of us are more refined and cultured than the Aussies ( unless we have any French VT'ers )

Having that kind of ticklist that you only 'do' a country through the bottom of a pint glass is still better than never bothering to go anywhere though.  There's plenty of those and although I've been to some places, I could have gone to many more.

Umayyad Mosque, Damascus

Roman ruins, Palmyra

Crac des Chevaliers

Roman ruins, Apamea

Saladin’s castle

in Syria

Petra

Jerash

Amman

The Dead Sea

Tabqit Fahl

Umm Al-Jimal

in Jordan

for example ... (and that's that's just a sample btw) I'd probably have been accused of being boring

Not by me, Tone. :thumb:

• Like 1

mjmooney, on 12 Sept 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:mjmooney, on 12 Sept 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

QuoteQuote

Umayyad Mosque, Damascus

Roman ruins, Palmyra

Crac des Chevaliers

Roman ruins, Apamea

Saladin’s castle

in Syria

Petra

Jerash

Amman

The Dead Sea

Tabqit Fahl

Umm Al-Jimal

in Jordan

for example ... (and that's that's just a sample btw) I'd probably have been accused of being boring

Not by me, Tone. :thumb:

that area has some of the best historical sights on the planet .. sadly a lot of the Syrian ones have been badly damaged in the conflict  ..Crac des Chevaliers in particular  :(

I was due to go to Libya a few years back to see Leptis Magna but then it all kicked off with Gadaffi  etc and hasn't really settled  ....so  sadly it's still sitting there on my bucket list

Edited by tonyh29

I'd like to visit Jerusalem at some point. Just to see what all the fuss is about, really.

I'd love to go there too and taste the McWailing Wall Burger. Culture, bitch!

BOF, on 12 Sept 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:BOF, on 12 Sept 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Having that kind of ticklist that you only 'do' a country through the bottom of a pint glass is still better than never bothering to go anywhere though.  There's plenty of those and although I've been to some places, I could have gone to many more.

I try and do both   ... up early do the sights then hit the bar by night  .. you run on adrenalin and power naps but it's enjoyable , though I appreciate it's not for everyone

In Bhutan the other week we had a 5am start to climb up to Tigers Nest  ... our guide therefore wanted us tucked up in bed by 11 pm  .... so after he dropped us back at the hotel when the bar shut at 11 , we hid around the corner and sneaked out to go to a club  ... and walked smack bang into our guide and felt like a couple of naughty school children   :)  ... we left the club at 2 am when it shut but still made the 5am start and got the most amazing views  .. most of the other tourists started around 8 by which time the cloud had come back in and covered everything  ... so the 5am start was the crucial bit , but not at the expense of a night out   :)

yeah the head was a bit woolly to start with  , but then you walk around the bend and get a view like this away in the distance , the hangover soon goes

only a few miles to go ...

ng4vpu.jpg

nearly there ... 6hj0ck.jpg

and as they say ... that's Bhutan ticked off :)

Edited by tonyh29

They demolished most of the historic sites in Mecca as well and build crappy hotels instead.

And a bloody big clock

The-Mecca-clocktower-004.jpg

Not that their crappy hotels and bloody big clock matters to us non-Muslims if we can't set foot in the place.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

CarewsEyebrowDesigner, on 12 Sept 2013 - 1:10 PM, said:

LondonLax, on 12 Sept 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

They demolished most of the historic sites in Mecca as well and build crappy hotels instead.

And a bloody big clock

The-Mecca-clocktower-004.jpg

Not that their crappy hotels and bloody big clock matters to us non-Muslims if we can't set foot in the place.

technically the prophet Mohammed  said nothing to ban non-muslims from entering mecca so if someone challenged this rule on theological grounds the Saudis will find themselves on slippery grounds.

good luck with that one though :)

I try and do both   ... up early do the sights then hit the bar by night  .. you run on adrenalin and power naps but it's enjoyable , though I appreciate it's not for everyone

In Bhutan the other week we had a 5am start to climb up to Tigers Nest  ... our guide therefore wanted us tucked up in bed by 11 pm  .... so after he dropped us back at the hotel when the bar shut at 11 , we hid around the corner and sneaked out to go to a club  ... and walked smack bang into our guide and felt like a couple of naughty school children   :)  ... we left the club at 2 am when it shut but still made the 5am start and got the most amazing views  .. most of the other tourists started around 8 by which time the cloud had come back in and covered everything  ... so the 5am start was the crucial bit , but not at the expense of a night out   :)

yeah the head was a bit woolly to start with  , but then you walk around the bend and get a view like this away in the distance , the hangover soon goes

ng4vpu.jpg

nearly there ... 6hj0ck.jpg

Ignorant, but truthfull, comment - that is literally the only sight I have ever seen pictured of Bhutan.

Did you go on an organised tour Tony?

Having that kind of ticklist that you only 'do' a country through the bottom of a pint glass is still better than never bothering to go anywhere though. There's plenty of those and although I've been to some places, I could have gone to many more.

I try and do both ... up early do the sights then hit the bar by night .. you run on adrenalin and power naps but it's enjoyable , though I appreciate it's not for everyone

In Bhutan the other week we had a 5am start to climb up to Tigers Nest ... our guide therefore wanted us tucked up in bed by 11 pm .... so after he dropped us back at the hotel when the bar shut at 11 , we hid around the corner and sneaked out to go to a club ... and walked smack bang into our guide and felt like a couple of naughty school children :) ... we left the club at 2 am when it shut but still made the 5am start and got the most amazing views .. most of the other tourists started around 8 by which time the cloud had come back in and covered everything ... so the 5am start was the crucial bit , but not at the expense of a night out :)

yeah the head was a bit woolly to start with , but then you walk around the bend and get a view like this away in the distance , the hangover soon goes

Posted Image

nearly there ... Posted Image

Ignorant, but truthfull, comment - that is literally the only sight I have ever seen pictured of Bhutan.

Did you go on an organised tour Tony?

You can't go into Bhutan independently ... You pay a fee of $250 a day to the government and it includes all your hotels , meals and guides ... You just pay for beer and souvenirs etc

Bhutan is probably the most beautiful country on the planet , tigers nest just gets the most coverage as its a picturesque shot through the clouds on the side of the mountain like that :-) but there is def a whole lot more to it

You can't go into Bhutan independently ... You pay a fee of $250 a day to the government and it includes all your hotels , meals and guides ... You just pay for beer and souvenirs etc

:o I was not aware of that. Interesting.

Bhutan is probably the most beautiful country on the planet , tigers nest just gets the most coverage as its a picturesque shot through the clouds on the side of the mountain like that :-) but there is def a whole lot more to it

Sounds intriguing - would love to go there on a twin centre with Nepal. I had pencilled the latter in for my travelling adventure next year, but when the budget tightened it was, unfortunately, the first to go (largely due to me reading too many rapey & plane crash stories about the place).

Edited by Shillzz

You can't go into Bhutan independently ... You pay a fee of $250 a day to the government and it includes all your hotels , meals and guides ... You just pay for beer and souvenirs etc Bhutan is probably the most beautiful country on the planet , tigers nest just gets the most coverage as its a picturesque shot through the clouds on the side of the mountain like that :-) but there is def a whole lot more to it
Sounds intriguing - would love to go there on a twin centre with Nepal. I had pencilled the latter in for my travelling adventure next year, but when the budget tightened it was, unfortunately, the first to go (largely due to me reading too many rapey & plane crash stories about the place).
I flew to KTM from Bhutan You spend 10 - 15 mins looking at Mt Everest as you fly alongside it ... My third time flying alongside and up close to it but still awesome The flight to Lukla in Nepal is the scary one as you land on the side of a mountain... Taking off from there you don't even want to think about :) KTM isn't so bad ... Bhutan involves a lot of steep banking as you come in and out but the pilot warns you it's coming so nothing to worry about :) Edited by tonyh29

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â