General Chat

AVFCLaura

So, this girl was a bit 'mixed up', presumably?

I haven't seen enough of the trial detail, although it did seem to be simply a case of one word against another, without any actual 'evidence' either way.

Came down to character and who to believe, and surely there has to be more than that to condemn a man?

Jon, on 10 Sept 2013 - 4:10 PM, said:

I haven't seen enough of the trial detail, although it did seem to be simply a case of one word against another, without any actual 'evidence' either way.

Came down to character and who to believe, and surely there has to be more than that to condemn a man?

I think that could well be the case with a lot of the "yewtree" people

I've often argued that until someone is found guilty their should be anonymity  ... Turners life is still pretty much ruined even though he's been found Not Guilty   , the mud will stick and Kevin Webster will no doubt suffer a fatal stabbing or car crash over the coming months

some people named the girl on twatter and were questioned by the rozzers I believe ?  ..why not offer the same protection to the accused , until such time as he is found guilty ?

• Like 1

I totally agree Tony. 

I understand the argument that publicity of the Savile case has meant others have felt able to come forward, however, that effect would surely still be felt upon conviction. 

In cases such as these both parties should be anonymous until a verdict is delivered. 

I've often argued that until someone is found guilty their should be anonymity  ... Turners life is still pretty much ruined even though he's been found Not Guilty   , the mud will stick and Kevin Webster will no doubt suffer a fatal stabbing or car crash over the coming months

some people named the girl on twatter and were questioned by the rozzers I believe ?  ..why not offer the same protection to the accused , until such time as he is found guilty ?

We can only hope there's a backlash of sympathy for the man now after what he has gone through. It's too simple to accuse someone of something like this in this day and age with the nature of immediate internet exposure and then hide behind protective anonymity. It's all very well saying anonymity is necessary in order to protect the real victims and I agree that they need protection. But once someone is found not guilty, surely there must be ramifications for the accuser. Otherwise there appears to be literally nothing to dissuade a bitter woman from making up a false claim safe in the knowledge that if it doesn't stick then it's no skin off her nose.

BOF, on 10 Sept 2013 - 4:51 PM, said:BOF, on 10 Sept 2013 - 4:51 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 10 Sept 2013 - 4:27 PM, said:tonyh29, on 10 Sept 2013 - 4:27 PM, said:

Jon, on 10 Sept 2013 - 4:10 PM, said:Jon, on 10 Sept 2013 - 4:10 PM, said:

We can only hope there's a backlash of sympathy for the man now after what he has gone through. It's too simple to accuse someone of something like this in this day and age with the nature of immediate internet exposure and then hide behind protective anonymity. It's all very well saying anonymity is necessary in order to protect the real victims and I agree that they need protection. But once someone is found not guilty, surely there must be ramifications for the accuser. Otherwise there appears to be literally nothing to dissuade a bitter woman from making up a false claim safe in the knowledge that if it doesn't stick then it's no skin off her nose.

I guess the flip side of that would be that it could put real rape victims off coming forward  if they thought they could face repercussions if they lost the case  ?

Edited by tonyh29

I guess the flip side of that would be that it could put real rape victims off coming forward  if they thought they could face repercussions if they lost the case  ?

It then becomes a moral discussion. Should society risk criminalising an innocent person so as to more easily facilitate convicting the guilty, or do we risk letting a guilty person through the 'net' so as to always prioritise the protection of those who have done nothing wrong.

Society in general tends to go with the former and to hell with the innocents who fall in that quest. It's the bloodthirsty voyeuristic mob-think that is prevalent in us. In more general terms though, I'd always rather risk a guilty person going free than condemn an innocent person to anything. For me it's a much more morally heinous crime to convict an innocent person than to let a guilty one go free.

Just had a conversation with someone about yer man the corrie guy ...I said wow hes career is more or less over even though he was found innocent .....the reply was hes guilty all the stuff that was in the paper smoke fire etc ....I went so even though he is innocent till proven guilty and then cleared by a court of law hes still guilty because the papers said so ?....

Edited by Meath_Villan

He was made a promise that he'd get a big storyline if he was cleared. The Corrie bosses can't sack him based on a not-guilty verdict.
Is it just me that wants the big story line to involve Kevin Webster being accused of raping an underage girl Come on Corrie script writers don't let me down Edited by tonyh29

Fly me to the moon!

Posted Image

Picture from the Shuttle launched to the moon the other night.

Say WHAT? Shuttle? Moon?

Heard nothing about that.

I thought the shuttle had retired and its last flight was in 2011 ?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â