General Chat

AVFCLaura

Muslim girl on bus. Conservative sort with only her face on show. Nice headscarf. She sat down, put her earphones in and Beyonce's 'Single Ladies' blared out for the rest of the bus to hear.

There was something rather comical about it.

"If you like it then you should've offered the parents some money for it."

• Like 3

I got married in church (below). Buggers up my atheist credentials no end. 

Thorverton.jpg

You can't post that up Mr Moon Man without some sort of explanation, given your rather zealous anti-religion approach.

Thorverton.jpg

You can't post that up Mr Moon Man without some sort of explanation, given your rather zealous anti-religion approach.

So did you promise before God and all that tripe?

I went to church wedding last year, first one since I've been old enough to understand what was going on and concluded I could never have one with all the tripe they make you say.

Wainy316, on 10 Sept 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Jon, on 10 Sept 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

mjmooney, on 09 Sept 2013 - 6:43 PM, said:

Thorverton.jpg

I went to church wedding last year, first one since I've been old enough to understand what was going on and concluded I could never have one with all the tripe they make you say.

that's the joy of getting married abroad .. my vows were in Hungarian and my Hungarian is that bad I just made words up 

Tonyh29 1 .. God 0

the music for my soon to be missus to walk down the aisle was Handel's 'Arrival of the Queen of Sheba' we rigged up a CD player to a couple of amps and it all worked very well

on the wayout, we had a quick burst of theme from Superman for a giggle

my mum wanted to meet the people in the orchestra as they were very good!

seriously, a little stone methodist chapel, held about 50 people and my mum thought that hidden somewhere behind a curtain we had the New York Philharmonic

Thorverton.jpg

I'm afraid I did, yes.

Rank hypocrisy, I admit. The wife's home village in Devon, the church where she used to sing in the choir as a kid, where her parents still attended. I knew my parents would love it, and the alternative was the depressing drabness that is a registry office (getting married wherever you like wasn't allowed in those days). So, a beautiful building in a beautiful part of the country. On village carnival day, so flags and bunting everywhere. It was my choice. I just lied through the religious bits.

We had a great day, but if I was doing it again now, I  wouldn't do the church thing, and I hope my kids don't either.

• Like 1

Same for me Mike.  We got married in a nice little church in Shropshire.  The way I see it is was my wife's special day, and she wanted the whole church thing.  Her happiness was more important than my beliefs.

Risso, on 10 Sept 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Same for me Mike.  We got married in a nice little church in Shropshire.  The way I see it is was my wife's special day, and she wanted the whole church thing.  Her happiness was more important than my beliefs.

Under%20the%20thumb.jpg

but joking apart , pretty much the same for me  .. Mrs H believes in God ( that apart she is actually very intelligent )  so it meant a lot to her and her family ( her nan's make the pope look like an atheist ) that we had a church wedding  .... I can live with that 

• Like 1

But there's the thing, y'see. Mrs M is at the atheist end of the agnostic spectrum (although she annoyingly still thinks that religion is worthy of 'respect', and that its is not synonymous with superstition), but she said she was quite happy to get married in Leeds Registry Office. So it wasn't her leaning on me to go for the church option. It was me that persuaded her that it would be a nicer 'do' all round, for family, friends, etc.

And it was.

Thorverton.jpg

I don't need to tell you that it doesn't. The beauty of being an atheist is that you can play everyone else's silly games with a sympathetic (but not patronising...) smile on your face. Walking into someone's church is no more significant than walking into a newsagents. Signing the register is just playing that game.
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â