General Chat

AVFCLaura

"I pledge allegiance to the flag

of the United States of America

and to the republic for which it stands

one nation, under God, indivisible,

with liberty and justice for all"

I grew up reciting this in a collective monotone every day of school for 12 years...seemed perfectly normal if not boring and redundant...in retrospect, it was shamelessly unabashed indoctrination.

I went to a church of England primary school and was cajoled into singing hymns about Christianity that I didn't understand. When I look back I think that although it has proved harmless in my upbringing I do feel as I would have preferred not to have to have been duped like that when I was impressionable. It feels dishonest.

Intense and continuous religious exposure tends to turn one into either a zealot of a believer or an atheist, in my experience.

Vague and occasional exposure tends not to breed zealotry nor does it lead to asking questions.

Intense and continuous religious exposure tends to turn one into either a zealot of a believer or an atheist, in my experience.

Vague and occasional exposure tends not to breed zealotry nor does it lead to asking questions.

Well, the only de-convert I know who isn't someone on VT is me. So I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

I do know that I don't fit that trend though.

I went to catholic school and it turned me into an atheist.

Please expound on this :)

Not much to say really.. Got old enough and realised it was all BS and just another way to control you..

Was kind of annoyed though that they made you study RE (Religious education), complete waste of time learning about made up stories..

Although the teacher was pretty hot, so not too bad :)

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Tbh I was never really into the whole religion thing, so I guess I was always an Atheist without knowing it, so by going to catholic school it was reinforced even more..

Only reason my parents sent me to that school was because it was one of the best secondary schools in East Sussex at the time.. So basically it had nothing to do with religion, they just wanted me to have the best education possible... you just had to be a catholic to get in..

We had to RE for GCSE, no choice in the matter, and we had mandatory RE classes at during our A level years, despite not choosing the subject and having better things to do with our time.

Load of bolocks.

But this is a country that gives creationism a space in Museums & has evangelical fuckweasels running the place.

I was in the "vague and occasional" group when being brought up and yet I'm quite a zealot.

Although it has to be said that the main focus of my zealotry is secularism. I advocate for separation of church and state. I think grown ups who believe in fairy tales largely deserve pity, but it's hard not to ridicule them. I try to stick to ridiculing their beliefs, not the person, but they don't seem to be able to tell the difference.

For those who think that their religious schooling didn't affect them, do you still believe in a "some higher being"? That feeling comes from the indoctrination. As does much superstitious nonsense and thinking that things are true "because it feels right".

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â