General Chat

AVFCLaura

So I see Britain is trying to ban the packed lunch, ostensibly forbidding the parent from choosing what their child eats for lunch during the week. Awesome.

So I see Britain is trying to ban the packed lunch, ostensibly forbidding the parent from choosing what their child eats for lunch during the week. Awesome.

To be fair BOF, teachers especially do observe what kids have in their packed lunches currently and if the parents are really taking the piss, then it gets sorted. So this new idea is complete tosh.

Depends. I'm sure kids who's parents care about what they eat will be upset, but there are too many parents around who just don't care and give their kids whatever is cheap and lying around.

School meals aren't much better, though.

The whole way we look at food needs to change. Too many people eat because they have to, and don't care what they stuff into their mouths. Fair enough, but you're going to pay for it before long. That should be a choice an adult makes, though. Kids should be given as good a start to life as possible, and if they want to **** it up from there, all power too them.

What we shouldn't do is ban packed lunches and feed the children shite, because it will only make a bad situation worse.

To be fair BOF, teachers especially do observe what kids have in their packed lunches currently and if the parents are really taking the piss, then it gets sorted. So this new idea is complete tosh.

So we agree. Honourable and sensible parents get punished because fat Bertha sends her fat spawn to school with a pack of jammy dodgers and a six pack of walkers. As I said, awesome.

So they want to force the children to eat school meals?

Yup, so once that's in and you have a closed market, they're completely at your whim, or more relevantly, they're also at the whim of all future administrations who might, say, choose for their meals to be sponsored by McDonalds or Burger King for a substantial fee. That's the problem with decisions like this one. You can't assume that all future governments will be on the same wave length as the current one and once you remove choice from the equation then you're in a potentially dangerous situation that can (and has elsewhere) be(en) abused.

So we agree. Honourable and sensible parents get punished because fat Bertha sends her fat spawn to school with a pack of jammy dodgers and a six pack of walkers. As I said, awesome.

Yeah we do. I said 'to be fair' then my point agreed. Whoops.

There's a kid at school whose parents send him with a box of jaffa cakes. He's already a kid with aspergers so you can imagine how crazy he is after lunchtime. Most other packed lunches there are fine.

When my missus was at school (early 70s) she spent an exchange term in France. She said the school dinners were absolutely out of this world (e.g. fillet steak once a week). And the school posted the lunch menu on the gates every day so that the mums could plan what to cook for their evening meal.

Dunno if that's still the case though.

Saw a sign with "Church of Scientology" written on it while walking along the street today. Like a shop sign, not a big church-type one.

I'd never seen a Scientology sign before, it was surreal.

So they want to force the children to eat school meals?

Yup, so once that's in and you have a closed market, they're completely at your whim, or more relevantly, they're also at the whim of all future administrations who might, say, choose for their meals to be sponsored by McDonalds or Burger King for a substantial fee. That's the problem with decisions like this one. You can't assume that all future governments will be on the same wave length as the current one and once you remove choice from the equation then you're in a potentially dangerous situation that can (and has elsewhere) be(en) abused.

Well, they already tell them what to wear and what to think.. So why not, what to eat...

Modern-Education.png

"I pledge allegiance to the flag

of the United States of America

and to the republic for which it stands

one nation, under God, indivisible,

with liberty and justice for all"

I grew up reciting this in a collective monotone every day of school for 12 years...seemed perfectly normal if not boring and redundant...in retrospect, it was shamelessly unabashed indoctrination.

All in all it's just another brick in the wall...

Spooky! That was playing on my headphones when I read your post! 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â