Demon Souls / Dark Souls

AshVilla

I went back to Dark Souls 3 recently.

It's remarkable how you can smash through these games when you know it's tricks. I literally waltzed through the main game without much trouble, and the only things to give me any problem were Nameless King, which I struggled with in the past but beat within about 8 tries (and was within 1 swing of getting him first time out), and the DLC, which I've not played before. 

Might go for the platinum - it looks doable...

• 2 months later...

Dark Souls 3 has now been platinumed :D

Hardest bit was grinding out the bloody covenant items. I've never been good enough/nor interested really in the multiplayer side of these games, but a number of the trophies in 3 effectively require you to max out various covenants. Which requires you to get various covenant specific items. Which are in very limited supply in the game and have very low drop rates in specific enemies, basically forcing you to either grind for literally tens of hours or go into multiplayer. Oh and some of those items in essence become impossible to get in multiplayer even if you go outside of the 'meta game' level range, the level at which the community has set a de facto multiplayer level limit at. 

Ultimately ended up doing a little multiplayer for the Moundmakers covenant, because grinding those items is a nightmare, and otherwise did a respec of my character to full Luck build plus +3 discovery ring + crystal rapier, and farmed various areas of the game for hours. Complete ball ache.

But it's a **** good game.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Picked up the PS4 Remaster.

Christ it looks absolutely glorious! It'll be interesting to see if I can finish this on console as my reflexes are not the same as they were when I played the PC version all those years ago. /gettingold

36 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Picked up the PS4 Remaster.

Christ it looks absolutely glorious! It'll be interesting to see if I can finish this on console as my reflexes are not the same as they were when I played the PC version all those years ago. /gettingold

If you've played any of the latter titles recently you might be surprised how slow the original Dark Souls is... All the more reason to Git Gud again ;)

I really need to go back to 2...

On 02/04/2020 at 14:55, Chindie said:

If you've played any of the latter titles recently you might be surprised how slow the original Dark Souls is... All the more reason to Git Gud again ;)

I really need to go back to 2...

I'd forgotten how superb the setting is in the first game. Such an eerie, dreamlike atmosphere and totally unlike any other game I've played.

Took down a few bosses so far and I'm working on getting myself reasonably well equipped before I take on Blighttown.

I picked up DS3 last night too in the sale as that's the only Soulsborne game I've never played.

• Like 1

3 is the one that made me 'get' Dark Souls. Great game. It's not as classic as the first, but it's a cool... epilogue to it. Plays brilliantly too.

Thr remaster's best feat is making Blightown bearable imo.

What did you use for a Divine weapon @Chindie? I was lucky enough to have the Knight Sword drop early game but unfortunately it cant be converted to Divine.

Cant for the life of me remember what I used on my original playthrough, and I wanted to go to the Catacombs next to take out Pinwheeel.

Edited by Designer1

39 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

What did you use for a Divine weapon @Chindie? I was lucky enough to have the Knight Sword drop early game but unfortunately it cant be converted to Divine.

Cant for the life of me remember what I used on my original playthrough, and I wanted to go to the Catacombs next to take out Pinwheeel.

Don't quote me on it but I think I used a divine club, although I went to the Catacombs on the back end of my playthroughs so I might have picked it up further into the playthrough than you are now.

But it was over a year ago so I can't be sure :(

• Thanks 1

Ornstein and Smough down...

the office party hard GIF

That feeling when a boss goes down is why this is one of the best games of all time. Amazing.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the Dark Souls 1 Remaster. Absolutely glorious game, especially with the graphical update. Firmly in my best game ever list.

I reckon I'm about 60 percent through Dark Souls 2 (really, really enjoying it. Much more than my first playthrough when it was released) and have barely scratched the surface of DS3 which I'm playing through as a caster for the first time (always play a strength based bastard with a broad sword on the Souls games) but it's quite nice being able to kite the shit out of mobs 😎

Also started a playthrough of Demon's Souls on my PS3. Hasn't aged too badly at all and it's nice to go back and get a refresh of where it all started.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished DS1 on NG+1. The O and S fight was a bit of a struggle so had to end up summoning some human help for that one, and Four Kings was pretty brutal! Still, I've done something I never thought I'd do (maybe my reflexes aren't quite as bad as i thought 😉)

So, I've now created a new character for DS2 who I intend to get to NG+1. I went with a Sorcerer build and for the first few hours really, really regretted it as I felt so underpowered. Then, slowly but surely he started to feel more capable and now he feels great! Really nice combo of Soul Arrow destruction coupled with Flaming Sword (Which scales with INT) for melee.

Loving it 😀

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Platinum... platinum... platinum... ;)

Toughest boss for you @Chindie? (all 3 games)

For me it's Kalameet. Superb fight and a great boss, but absolute nails.

That reminds me actually, the DLC for DS1 was fantastic. That's how you do extra content.

52 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That reminds me actually, the DLC for DS1 was fantastic. That's how you do extra content.

Ooh, that's a question...

I won't spend the rest of my work afternoon thinking about it and come back to you...

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

From memory, bearing in mind I've not beaten 2 and not including Bed of Chaos because it's horseshit...

Dark Souls

Standouts are O&S, Kalameet, Sanctuary Guardian. O+S has to take it though.

Dark Souls 2

Smelter, Sir Alonne, Fume Knight. I actually gave up trying to beat Sir Alonne so I'll go with him. Smelter is just bullshit and annoying, Fume Knight is just straight up bastard hard.

Dark Souls 3

Sister Friede, Midir, Nameless King. Friede takes this I think. That's a difficult, difficult fight. Nameless King is hard but mostly because the camera is shite. Midir hits absurdly hard and has enormous health. There's an argument for Slave Knight for here, it's Artorias 2.0, but I've never struggled with him.

Hardest of them all? Friede. I would go with Alonne but don't feel right noting a boss I've not beaten in a game I've not completed (and has some dodgy mechanics). Friede is like the culmination of things I found difficult in the series and is bloody hard as a result.

Bonus round! Bloodborne (skipping the dungeons)

Ludwig, Maria, Kos. I fluked defeating Ludwig, and still don't know how I did it. Maria is very difficult and her fire phase is basically bullshit. And Kos is.... well, he's obscenely aggressive with ridiculous power and speed. Probably Kos takes this.

• Thanks 1

Finished NG+1 in DS2 so I've been putting some more time into DS3. Have to say it's a beautiful game design wise and some of the bosses are the best in the series. I've just found the hidden Dragon area so need to have a mooch around there as I hear its excellent.

Also started a new Bloodborne run as I never did any of the DLC originally. Might even go for a Platinum...

18 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Finished NG+1 in DS2 so I've been putting some more time into DS3. Have to say it's a beautiful game design wise and some of the bosses are the best in the series. I've just found the hidden Dragon area so need to have a mooch around there as I hear its excellent.

Also started a new Bloodborne run as I never did any of the DLC originally. Might even go for a Platinum...

DS3 might be my favourite of the series. It's just fantastic. Archdragon Peak is a fun area... 

I've actually gone back to Bloodborne over the weekend as well. I left it at NG+ Amelia, over a couple of sessions have got Amelia, Witches and Shadows done. Great game. I'm mostly playing to grind out levels to try to complete the chalice dungeons, as I gave up on them when playing first time due to the Defiled Watchdog boss fight being on the wrong side of bullshit.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â