The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Emily Armstrong **** slaps

Just been watching videos and she sounds ace.  Then I read she's a Scientologist.  Ruined :(

Edited by Wainy316
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Just been watching videos and she sounds ace.  Then I read she's a Scientologist.  Ruined :(

i'm in the minority on this i think as it didn't work for me at all...

if you never got to see them back in the day, i guess it's the closest thing you'll ever get. but it's a no from me.

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm in the minority on this i think as it didn't work for me at all...

if you never got to see them back in the day, i guess it's the closest thing you'll ever get. but it's a no from me.

Well it's never gonna be the same but I think she sounds good without trying to fully imitate Chester.

I did catch them in their pomp just after Meteroa was released so I'm happy with that.

38 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The new single is full of lyrics that pretty much only make sense in the context of her criticising Scientology. She may have been part of that cult at one point, but there is a chance she isn't anymore. 

The Emptiness Machine seems to be all about Scientology and their E-Meter. A fake device that is used to read a persons "Thetan levels". How do they read these? By getting their members to confess their sins, to empty everything they hold deep inside. Eventually the person passes the test, but the purpose of the test is to learn every dark secret, every trauma, and whatever else about the person so they have power over them. 

The lyrics seem to be all from the perspective of someone that is now "free" of the cult and regrets ever joining. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Well it's never gonna be the same but I think she sounds good without trying to fully imitate Chester.

I did catch them in their pomp just after Meteroa was released so I'm happy with that.

yeah she sounds ok but just heard her version of in the end and it was so flat, and just reminded me how good chester actually was.

can't remember exactly when i saw them...early on supporting deftones was one, and saw them at brixton too

On 30/08/2024 at 09:25, bickster said:

No, you are just very narrow in your knowledge. If you haven't heard of Gryff Rees (Super Furries), Richard Hawley (Longpigs), Latitia Sadier (Stereolab), and Bill Ryder-Jones (The Coral) your knowledge of music is very limited being as all have been in rather well known bands and have had extensive solo careers since leaving those bands.

Slowdive are one of the original shoegaze bands 

Yo La Tengo have been going forever and have an extensive back catalogue, last album was superb

Sleater Kinney?

You really claiming you've never heard of Baxter Dury?

If you haven't heard of Ty Segall you've never read many music posts here :D 

It's also got an awful lot of up and coming, potentially much bigger bands like English teacher and Big Special. Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan is the current king of ambient electronica. House of All are all ex-members of different periods of The Fall and are ace.

Its a really good line up. I'd have conflicts of scheduling all over the place

Christ, even I've heard of several of those acts. TBF, it's mostly a case of heard OF, rather than heard, but even so. And surely Richard Hawley is pretty mainstream? I've got albums by him. 

• Like 2

I watched a bit of the Linkin Park gig last night and thought Emily Armstrong suits the band really well. Probably about as good as you can get without somehow bringing Chester back alive. 

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I watched a bit of the Linkin Park gig last night and thought Emily Armstrong suits the band really well. Probably about as good as you can get without somehow bringing Chester back alive. 

quite staggered at the praise to be honest. now my algorithm is loaded with clips of that gig i've ended up watching a fair few and every one is worse than the last.

get on youtube and watch the tribute band "hybrid theory"...they're Portuguese or something. THATS as good as you can get without chester...should've just brought their guy in

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

quite staggered at the praise to be honest. now my algorithm is loaded with clips of that gig i've ended up watching a fair few and every one is worse than the last.

get on youtube and watch the tribute band "hybrid theory"...they're Portuguese or something. THATS as good as you can get without chester...should've just brought their guy in

But surely by doing that they basically become a tribute band of themselves.  Id you want to see the old LP then yes go see Hybrid Theory but the band has had no option but to move on if they were going to continue.  Going to give it time, first time performing in front of over expectant fans is going to be as hard as it comes I reckon.

8 minutes ago, dubbs said:

But surely by doing that they basically become a tribute band of themselves.  Id you want to see the old LP then yes go see Hybrid Theory but the band has had no option but to move on if they were going to continue.  Going to give it time, first time performing in front of over expectant fans is going to be as hard as it comes I reckon.

i don't see how they're not doing that anyway though? maybe if they just did new songs with emily and had chester out of the speakers or get audience to sing his parts for the old songs then i'd get it (i actually like the new song and it suits her voice, because it was written for her voice)

but people are all in the youtube comments saying "oh but she's not his replacement", guys, she's literally singing all his parts, she's his replacement, and she doesn't come close...IMO anyway

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Mike Shinoda didn't want a clone of Chester. If he wanted a clone then he had countless options including Bobby Amaru (of Saliva) who Mike has worked with in the past. You can look up 'Lying From You' or 'Given Up' by Bobby Amaru to see him basically nail the songs as a Chester soundalike in YouTube Shorts. 'Given Up' specifically sounds identical to Chester if you close your eyes. Mike didn't want that. Chester is dead, he's gone, and he wanted someone different. Emily Armstrong is someone different and they're working with her for the albums the band will make in the future.

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Mike Shinoda didn't want a clone of Chester. If he wanted a clone then he had countless options including Bobby Amaru (of Saliva) who Mike has worked with in the past. You can look up 'Lying From You' or 'Given Up' by Bobby Amaru to see him basically nail the songs as a Chester soundalike in YouTube Shorts. 'Given Up' specifically sounds identical to Chester if you close your eyes. Mike didn't want that. Chester is dead, he's gone, and he wanted someone different. Emily Armstrong is someone different and they're working with her for the albums the band will make in the future.

yeah i'm not criticizing the band for continuing or making new stuff and i look forward to hearing it. i just feel if someone cannot do the old songs justice, then don't bother playing them...and at least a couple of the ones they did were absolute insults to his legacy

prodigy didn't get a new keith...they just play his parts in the background for example...and his vocals aren't exactly difficult to replace!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

The old Ripper Owens method 😉

22 hours ago, PieFacE said:

19 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i don't see how they're not doing that anyway though? maybe if they just did new songs with emily and had chester out of the speakers or get audience to sing his parts for the old songs then i'd get it (i actually like the new song and it suits her voice, because it was written for her voice)

but people are all in the youtube comments saying "oh but she's not his replacement", guys, she's literally singing all his parts, she's his replacement, and she doesn't come close...IMO anyway

I went through exactly this with Alice in chains. William DuVall is flippin great, but he is not Layne Staley.

I'm happy both bands continue though and hopefully record more new material to let the singers shine without the cross to bear of their former frontmen. Still enjoy AIC

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

On 30/08/2024 at 09:25, bickster said:

Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan is the current king of ambient electronica

Thanks for this, on the basis of "king of ambient electronica" I gave this a go and woooo-doggy is it some good, good shit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I'm off to see Megan Moroney at the institute tonight, really looking forward to it.

I was going, my sister is going now in my place as I am on holiday. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â