The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

5 hours ago, bickster said:

No, you are just very narrow in your knowledge. If you haven't heard of Gryff Rees (Super Furries), Richard Hawley (Longpigs), Latitia Sadier (Stereolab), and Bill Ryder-Jones (The Coral) your knowledge of music is very limited being as all have been in rather well known bands and have had extensive solo careers since leaving those bands.

Slowdive are one of the original shoegaze bands 

Yo La Tengo have been going forever and have an extensive back catalogue, last album was superb

Sleater Kinney?

You really claiming you've never heard of Baxter Dury?

If you haven't heard of Ty Segall you've never read many music posts here :D 

It's also got an awful lot of up and coming, potentially much bigger bands like English teacher and Big Special. Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan is the current king of ambient electronica. House of All are all ex-members of different periods of The Fall and are ace.

Its a really good line up. I'd have conflicts of scheduling all over the place

I attend maybe 30 gigs a year  ,  a lot of "This Feeling" events that  showcase some great up and coming bands that i suspect 99% of you on here won't have heard of , so I don't think the limited music knowledge holds up to scrutiny  , I have different ( and better :P  ) tastes to you  , nothing else 

I've seen The Coral and Long Pigs live , but couldn't tell you a band members name  ,  but Baxter Dury , Sleater Kinny  ..nope not a clue 

thinking about it  , a mate of mine was raving about English teacher a few months ago   , i had a listen and thought they were dreadful   , but to correct my original posts , there are two bands on that line up I've heard of :) 

Edited by tonyh29

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Sleater Kinny  ..nope not a clue 

If you do a VT mooney they've been mentioned a few times in music threads, and I know I've also put some youtube embeds of them on here, as well, but you're right, I guess, they're not well known in the UK, really.

Showing results for 'Sleater Kinney' in topics. - VillaTalk

44 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I've posted loads of Baxters stuff in the song and album threads the last few years.

Even I’ve posted where he ripped off the refrain for Miami from :D 

Did end of the road say this year they werent going all out on one big act. Seems to me with Slowdive and Sleater Kinney they are still going with big names. Thats before going down the list. Idles are not too shabby either. I do not go in the new music thread and I have heard of most of the bands up to half way down a stage. But thats me. 
I also see Mozart Estate on the bill. To be fair that is a fairly solid lineup. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

It's a good lineup tbf.

I'd like to see how a couple of them deliver live, but perhaps not at a festival? Billy Woods and Molly Lewis particularly.

Quite a lot of the rest is good to go.

5 hours ago, blandy said:

If you do a VT mooney they've been mentioned a few times in music threads, and I know I've also put some youtube embeds of them on here, as well, but you're right, I guess, they're not well known in the UK, really.

Showing results for 'Sleater Kinney' in topics. - VillaTalk

They are an excellent band. Big Carrie Brownstein fan

IMG-0675.jpg

• Like 1

I once accidentally struck one of Sleater-Kinney's touring musicans in the face.  She was very nice about it.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

My gigs. 

12th October. Jane McDonald
3rd November. Jimmy Tarbuck

15th December. Paul Heaton

None of that is a lie  

Cripes… ignoring the Jane McDonald bit… Tarby is still alive? His jokes certainly aren’t 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Cripes… ignoring the Jane McDonald bit… Tarby is still alive? His jokes certainly aren’t 

Yeah. Expect and hope its a night of anecdotes. 

It might be 90% flaming garbage, but I have to give the Facebook algorithm credit, it's been absolutely on point for me this week. Had no idea either of these were happening and now merrily off to both.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0611d93c498b1a9060caedb560f43e4.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.eeaf84b5aca4395cd14507787fe2c46d.jpeg

Edited by GarethRDR

Back from End Of The Road and it didn’t disappoint at all.

it’s nicely compact you can flit between stages with relative ease and get a good view at all stages. The variety of music is nicely eclectic taking in rock, indie, Americana, world, electronic and so on - there should be something for everyone!

The garden stage, set in a natural wooded clearing has to be one of the best festival stages out there. It’s a cracking place to watch music. 

took my lad for his first festival experience and managed to see around 50 artists. 

The likes of Gruff Rhys, Bill Ryder-Jones, Idles and Big Special were all typically great to watch as was the solo acoustic set by Ty Segall

however there were some bands I hadn’t seen before that grabbed my attention.

King Hannah - a kind of love child of Bill Callahan, Portishead and Dry Cleaning! Their album Big Swimmer is deffo worth a listen.

Gurriers - Young Irish alt.punk band who certainly bought the energy to the stage. Their debut is out next Friday and is already on pre-order

Brown Horse - lovely slab of Americana (reckon @Seat68 would give their tracks a spin, along with both Bonny Doon and Phosphorescent who were also great to watch)

Sprints - phenomenal live band and love their debut album. Similarly Hot Wax and Girl and Girl were great too.

the best was saved until last, with Cornelius playing after the final two headliners on the Big Top stage. The performance was accompanied by some stunning visuals and was a treat for the senses! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Stick your Oasis up your arse, Linkin **** Park are back, and Emily Armstrong **** slaps

ZczGC5N.png

This would have been much more fun posted in the Oasis thread.

• Haha 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â