The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Well, it’s Cardiff’s turn for the swift tour today, gates open at 4:00pm so obviously people started queuing last night. They opened the merchandise pop up shops yesterday daytime and the queues to hand over money for tee shirts and whatnot were down the streets, 24 hours before the gig. 

We have a couple of staff in this office that are going, truly very excited about it, but also clearly not in the slightest bit used to knowing or understanding the logistics around a big city centre gig. One of them has been asking around this morning, where do we think she can park in town this afternoon. We’ve pointed out her car is outside the office currently, and its walking distance to the centre of town. No no, she’s going to try and park closer later today. Plan A is just to try the city centre car parks mid afternoon an hour before the gates open. Plan B, which I thought was a stroke of genius, Plan B is that if it really is very busy, KwikFit will probably close early, so she will park on their forecourt for free.

I’ve got £3 on her missing the gig sat in her car.

• Haha 1

Courtney Barnett - she’s currently supporting the Foos, so between enormodome gigs she slotted in a couple of solo shows. She’s got no really current product to sell so the shows were hastily arranged a month or so ago and in smaller venues than she’d normally play.

Result! Just as I hoped really. No running through an album with a smattering of older songs this was just Courtney enjoying herself

She’s always been a bit rockier live than on record but the first half of the set was pretty grunge, She was rocking out for the sheer fun of it.

She also then played a few of her less rocky stuff including a Chastity Belt cover which was good, then mostly went back to songs she could wig out to.

Great gig in a smallish venue and all the better for being with @blandy as that’s been a while. Met up in the pub beforehand and other mates of mine were there so we all had a good chat over a few pints before the gig.

Great night out tbh!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Courtney Barnett - she’s currently supporting the Foos, so between enormodome gigs she slotted in a couple of solo shows. She’s got no really current product to sell so the shows were hastily arranged a month or so ago and in smaller venues than she’d normally play.

Of Duke Fame, er, fame 😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Not exactly a concert, but it's time for Ghost's Rite Here Rite Now concert/fiction film thing. Wooooooo!

IMG-20240619-WA0000.jpg.e3b36557fe9f684d9f43f21c016aafbf.jpg

There were so many disappointed people thinking they might do a secret set at Download for it to turn out to be a short advert for this.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

There were so many disappointed people thinking they might do a secret set at Download for it to turn out to be a short advert for this.

Don’t you mean Drownload :D 

• Like 1

A couple of shots of EC from the double bill with Daryl Hall from a week ago. Elvis was, as always, superb. Played 90-100 minutes, nice set for a crowd that was, alas, majority Daryl Hall fans. Opened with two classics, then did a big stretch of later album deep cuts mixed with songs everyone knew, then finished with two more classics. The pro’s pro 

IMG-9940.jpg

IMG-0384.jpg

Daryl Hall? Meh. Seemed like a robot whose human characteristics programming was slightly off. Just gave off a very cold, aloof, perhaps really stoned (?) vibe. Had several backup singers whose job was clearly to mirror and cover him at times when he would stop singing, so maybe he is ailing. Going in I had half a mind to just leave after Elvis but (a) tickets were expensive, (b) my wife I and thought it would be entertaining enough to stay, & (c) I generally don’t like leaving early, regardless. His crowd struck me as the type that was just there for a nostalgia trip through the hits, and while he did play several hits, he didn’t play the most obvious ones, while also mixing in what, I think, were non-hits from his solo work. And to top it all off, his set was woefully short compared to Elvis. 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah, they also got people to drive to geo-locked location to watch the "advert" as well, and that got screwed up so that people didn't even get to see the advert!

However, putting all that aside, it was a thoroughly enjoyable film. As daft as expected!

The stats are in for Taylor Swift Cardiff gig and she did not break the record… for parking penalty charge notices.

340 £50 parking fines were issued, Coldplay still have the record with 380

Pink didn’t even quite manage 300

Foo Fighters next week.

the three gigs this June should net the council over £50,000 in parking fine revenue over and above what they get on gig days when official parking is switched from hourly meter to £20 take it or leave it

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

What are the economics on £50 ticket? I mean if you're struggling to park and you think 'just **** it' surely that's ok....to some people.

We had the same conversation, the NCP directly outside the stadium is £5 an hour. If you’re there for the day for some lunch a bit of atmosphere, and then the support acts and 3 hours of Taylor Swift, then yeah, it’s competitive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've got the post Drownload blues now, no gigs in the calendar until a day ticket at Bloodstock in August. 

Was it true that a lot of the bands at Download played, product touring sets and not festival sets? 

I am at a tribute festival from next Friday and to be honest I despise tribute acts stealing a living, so this will be fun. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am at a tribute festival from next Friday and to be honest I despise tribute acts stealing a living, so this will be fun. 

This is not not the greatest festival in the world, this is just a tribute 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

Was it true that a lot of the bands at Download played, product touring sets and not festival sets? 

I honestly couldn't tell you. Piss poor festival for me for a few reasons.

• Really poor lineup, for my tastes. Loads of bands I wanted to see. Only 1 of them had a set longer than 25 minutes. The headliners and logo bands were very pop-punk or more old school metal this year, not my thing really. I had absolutely no intention of seeing the headliners on any stage, so it was off to a bad start really.
  • We were 2 of the hundreds that got food poisoning from a dodgy yorky van, so spent Saturday afternoon-evening spraying our guts out
  • Our childcare fell through on the Sunday and we had to come home.
  • Of the bands I went to see, 3 of them played less than half of their set due to weather/technical difficulties, and 2 I walked away from because the sound quality was absolute dogshit, even for a festival.

2 grand spent for approximately 3 hours of music I cared about ( in mostly 25 minute instalments), food poisoning, and 2 broken fingers (I am too old to be crowdsurfing - but after a hipflask of whiskey, **** it, get me up there).

Make Them Suffer were absolute class (and where I broke my fingers), Enter Shikari were good fun despite the main stage being all bass and nothing else, and Bleed From Within were brilliant despite only getting to play 5 songs in a 50 minute set (special bonus song being a cover of Enter Sandman with Rob Beckett and Romesh).

I'll have a better time at Bloodstock hopefully :D 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'll have a better time at Bloodstock hopefully

Better hope it’s not Floodstock…. Soz couldn’t resist

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My grandson had a great Download. The drummer from Billy Talent gave him his drumstick and the guitar tech gave him some plectrums. A core memory for him I am sure. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â