The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Have you had bad experiences?

I'm just a punter, but I go to an awful lot of heavy gigs, and that shit is loud. I tried the cheapo foam earplugs, and they block a lot of sound and protect your hearing, but the music is muddied, you lose the whole performance. They cost about 50p per gig, but they ruined it and I often removed them after the opener. Then I stepped up to more midrange ones, long lasting, 40 quid a set, I tried 2-3 brands, and every single one of them were better for sound than the foam ones, but still a bit muddy, and uncomfortable as ****, often fell out, just a really shit experience.

These ones cost £120 to have them moulded to my ear canal, don't fall out when I headbang, subdue but don't muddy the sound, and are incredibly comfortable. I'll put them through their paces at Download and Bloodstock, but they claim they're fit for 3-5 years, if that's true, even at the lower end they'll be worth it. 

I need to properly test them, but at this point my advice would be that if the 50p range don't work for you, skip the 40 quid midrange and jump right to customs, they fit better, they work better, and they last longer.

I don't have the same level of experience, so it's great to hear your situation.

When we're DJing, my mate, deaf as a post, all day every day. Me? Sound as a pound still but I'm VERY conscious or the volume.

Genuine Q - If you're at a gig, a band you love, is it the same with earplugs in? 

Ok, I want to go to this in Tintern.

spacer.png

But the logistics are horrible.

The one band I want to see is Soft Hearted Scientists and they are on Saturday night finishing after the last bus.

The website is quite clear, parking is a **** nightmare. It’s only an hour away, I think what I’ll have to do is go along with good karma good vibes with the express knowledge I might not get to park and I might just be doing an evening driving tour of the area.

I’m on a role now.

Next Tuesday I’m off to see Gwenno vs Don Leisure with incidental chatter from Huw Stephens.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 26/05/2024 at 22:29, Davkaus said:

Have you had bad experiences?

I'm just a punter, but I go to an awful lot of heavy gigs, and that shit is loud. I tried the cheapo foam earplugs, and they block a lot of sound and protect your hearing, but the music is muddied, you lose the whole performance. They cost about 50p per gig, but they ruined it and I often removed them after the opener. Then I stepped up to more midrange ones, long lasting, 40 quid a set, I tried 2-3 brands, and every single one of them were better for sound than the foam ones, but still a bit muddy, and uncomfortable as ****, often fell out, just a really shit experience.

These ones cost £120 to have them moulded to my ear canal, don't fall out when I headbang, subdue but don't muddy the sound, and are incredibly comfortable. I'll put them through their paces at Download and Bloodstock, but they claim they're fit for 3-5 years, if that's true, even at the lower end they'll be worth it. 

I need to properly test them, but at this point my advice would be that if the 50p range don't work for you, skip the 40 quid midrange and jump right to customs, they fit better, they work better, and they last longer.

With the number of gigs ramping up considerably post-Covid, I'm starting to wonder if pushing the boat out for some of those custom ones would be worth it.  I'm not unhappy with my Alpines (the ones pictured below), but I probably don't replace them as regularly as I should and they do struggle a bit with heavier wall-of-sound stuff (mind that might be as much a venue issue depending on where I am).  Be grateful to see your post-Bloodstock review!

preview.jpg

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

Good things in threes?

Bill Ryder-Jones, playing the Memo later this year, 3 blocks down the hill from my house. Your genuine walking distance gig.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Good things in threes?

Bill Ryder-Jones, playing the Memo later this year, 3 blocks down the hill from my house. Your genuine walking distance gig.

Isnt he also touring with Gruff Rhys?

15 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Isnt he also touring with Gruff Rhys?

Yep, double bill.

I’ve just got ptsd over Gruff at the Memo so I didn’t mention it.

I’ve seen SFA at all manner of gigs up and down the country, big, small, indoor, outdoor, sound check, acoustic, quadrophonic surroundasound. Quite the stalker.

When they played the Memo, literally a 3 minute downhill jog from my house, a legendary gig everyone I know attended … I was away, working.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Good things in threes?

I have the missus on standby to purchase tickets for BRJ and GR when they go on sale (gigs in November)

Playing together an aful lot this year. Some dates now, fair few Fez together in the summer and another tour later in the year

• Like 1

Off to the new Machester coop arena tomorrow,  (yes the one with all the teething problems) to see The Eagles.

Yes I know some of you "young uns" have never heard of the Eagles, but now I am almost 66 years old they are of my era and apparently this is their final, final, final ever set of UK dates .......until next years tour announcement.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2024 at 11:32, GarethRDR said:

With the number of gigs ramping up considerably post-Covid, I'm starting to wonder if pushing the boat out for some of those custom ones would be worth it.  I'm not unhappy with my Alpines (the ones pictured below), but I probably don't replace them as regularly as I should and they do struggle a bit with heavier wall-of-sound stuff (mind that might be as much a venue issue depending on where I am).  Be grateful to see your post-Bloodstock review!

preview.jpg

Went to see Gloom in the Corner and Vended tonight and the plugs are....Good? All the ones I've used before have been awful, even spending 40-50 quid on them, I mostly ended up taking them out a few songs in. These are ok, I kept them in all night. They make it much quieter, I got the 17Db reduction and I think it might be a bit too much tbh, but maybe I just need to get used to them. It didn't ruin the sound quality, but I think there's a bit of social conditioning that I felt a bit daft moshing to music at sensible sound level.

They're by far the best ear plugs I've ever had, and the only ones I don't hate, they just pop in and fit absolutely perfectly, they're so much better than generics, but...It does still affect the enjoyment of the music a bit. I guess I'll see how it goes in a few shows when I get used to them.

In other news, they didn't affect my enjoyment enough to discourage me from crowdsurfing, and I got dropped on the barrier right on my hip. Tickets to the show, £20. Beers, £10. New phone, 3-400 quid. Bollocks.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Saw Tool last night. As always, they were utterly brilliant. I'll get a ticket every time they come around, without fail. Brilliant band and brilliant show. 

However, there's a special circle of hell reserved for people that talk very loudly through gigs. 2 blokes sat in front of us were pretty much shouting at each other for the whole first half. I could hear them over the band. It was £70 for a ticket. Sit down, shut the **** up and watch the gig. It's annoying at any gig, but especially at a Tool gig where you want to take it all in.

At a Tool gig... sitting. Is that a thing? Not 100% mosh pit? I guess all the fans are a lot older now.

• Like 1

Scored two decent tickets for Bill Ryder-Jones and Gruff Rhys at the end of November.

Thats missus birthday present for next month sorted :D 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Scored two decent tickets for Bill Ryder-Jones and Gruff Rhys at the end of November.

Thats missus birthday present for next month sorted :D 

Would’ve been tempted with that double header but already seeing them both at End of the Road in August.

got myself an Amyl and the Sniffers ticket instead. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

At a Tool gig... sitting. Is that a thing? Not 100% mosh pit? I guess all the fans are a lot older now.

Full seating nowadays, even on the floor (though pretty much everyone on the floor stood up anyway).

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Saw Tool last night. As always, they were utterly brilliant. I'll get a ticket every time they come around, without fail. Brilliant band and brilliant show. 

However, there's a special circle of hell reserved for people that talk very loudly through gigs. 2 blokes sat in front of us were pretty much shouting at each other for the whole first half. I could hear them over the band. It was £70 for a ticket. Sit down, shut the **** up and watch the gig. It's annoying at any gig, but especially at a Tool gig where you want to take it all in.

I also went , my first time seeing them. It went exactly how I thought it would in my head. Brilliant band and the musicianship was brilliant. What a unique band they are.  You really are there only for the music because it’s such a trip they take you on. They certainly aren’t for everyone but it was right up my street.  The support band were also interesting. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 3

I have Dale Watson in Chester the week after next. Solo gig as my wife doesnt really know his stuff. Not quite a bucket list gig but its up there. 

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

got myself an Amyl and the Sniffers ticket instead. 

Looked at picking one up earlier. £35 for Birmingham, piss take!

4 hours ago, Anthony said:

2 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Full seating nowadays, even on the floor (though pretty much everyone on the floor stood up anyway).

Yeah, they insist on seats for every show they do. I like their music, but yeah, that absolutely kills it for me, even if you're standing in front of the seat

Two things I love about standing at gigs, one, if you end up next to an annoying ****, you just move, and two, I can't imagine standing on the spot for 2 hours listening to music and not having a pit to dive into :)

I mentioned I was gifted hospitality tickets to a Tenacious D gig last month. It was fine. The show itself was really good, but sitting down listening to it was a bit weird, and we had a nobhead next to us. Not much of a pit at Tenacious D but I was looking enviously at the dozen people trying to start one

Probably don't have many more years of circle pits and crowdsurfing in me before it looks a bit tragic and the kids start looking out for the old man that doesn't know his limits 

5 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Looked at picking one up earlier. £35 for Birmingham, piss take!

Yep a little steep but desperately want to see them. Allegedly they’re full on live. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â